PDA

View Full Version : The 46

LABillsFan
09-24-2002, 11:31 AM
How long will the Bills continue to play the 46 D with the lack of ability to stop the run?

PHil Hanson: We were 3rd in the league D wise, why switch?
GW: Hork, snerf, thwat, yadda yadda yadda the Titans were 1st

Last year and through the last 3 games of this season the Bills D (I know about youth and personel changes) is ranking towards the bottom. Seems to me with the Titans ranked at 17th and the Bills 24th, the vauletd 46 D is being figured out and disected. Does anyone else in the league plays the 46? if so, were do they rank? I am respecting Gray more and more with the schemes he comes up with, but it's not like his schemes are to confuse Offenses and control line, it's more about trying to hide the overall weakness in the Bills Defensive unit.

MissBuffalo
09-24-2002, 11:43 AM
IMO you need the right athletes to play the 4-6 since your covering gaps and not players. By right athletes I mean people with "great ability" to play their position and to be able to get into the holes or gaps. I thought the Rams were playing a D similar, but look how they're doing this year.

LABillsFan
09-24-2002, 11:56 AM
True Miss B,
but the Bills don't have those right players and it won't be until next years draft and or FA signings until they hopefully get them and then how many games into next season before they learn how to play it as an entire unit. Seems like thats a long time to wait (gamble) for the D to improve (payoff).

MissBuffalo
09-24-2002, 12:02 PM
I agree with you LABills. We really don't have those players. But for now I just hope we could keep it competative and the points as low as possible. I wouldn't mind going back to the 3-4, but then we'd need another dominant LB. Let's just hope that our players can grow into this system....sooner rather than later!!!! Or, like you said, we may have to get some FA help next year.

Earthquake Enyart
09-24-2002, 12:51 PM
Can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****, MissB

WG
09-24-2002, 01:00 PM
LOL EE

Indeed!

That's right though. But IMO having a very good DT in there would have made a WORLD of difference. That's probably the single biggest thing that would change things significantly. That's why I was so upset when all we heard was how a bunch of guys who didn't do jack last year were not only supposed to step up as depth, but be a force too, when not one of them was even close last year.

Let's face it, TD blundered on this one. It wouldn't have taken much to grab a halfway decent DT. We're plenty under the cap now to have accommodated it.

We can't hold our breath that a 2nd round pick in a draft predicted to be weak in DT talent will fix it. That leaves us to go FAcy and the word is that there won't be nearly as many DTs this offseason as there were this season either. All we really need is one however.

Earthquake Enyart
09-24-2002, 01:06 PM
I think TD may have his eye on someone who is a FA next year. If he picked up a half assed DT this year, and overpaid, that would take $$ away from getting a big name FA next year. Plus he is gonna need the $$ to keep Newman and Price.

I think TD has a plan, and if they can get a stud DT next year, look out.

WG
09-24-2002, 01:14 PM
Yeah, "IF"! There were several REALLY good ones available this year. Certainly a far cry from what we have now.

Lessen #1 in the NFL, never count on "next year." Things are way too unpredictable in the NFL these days.

LABillsFan
09-24-2002, 02:44 PM
I agree Wys. I also don't care for the fact they're trying to find players to fit a complex system instead of finding good players and building a system around them. Seems to me you utilize the talent of a player not cut him or overlook him in FA because he doesn't fit your game plan.

MissBuffalo
09-24-2002, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by LABillsFan
I also don't care for the fact they're trying to find players to fit a complex system instead of finding good players and building a system around them.

I think you got a point there that I totally agree with. Didn't that seem to work really well with the offense??? LOL!!!

Phins054
09-24-2002, 06:58 PM
The problem is that most DCs bring in their own schemes. Buddy Ryan developed that 46 defense in Chicago and was successful because of the personnel he had. The key to a successful 46 is in the DL. The front four MUST be able to pressure the passer to allow the LBs free shots at the gaps. When Ryan took his D to Philly, he drafted quick powerful Lineman like Reggie White and Jerome Brown.

I do see the point of drafting or signing FAs to fit your scheme on D, because your athletic ability is a natural, but learning to play middle LB vs. Outside LB in say a 3-4 is very different. Not many outside LBs can make the transition to MLB. Imagine LT as a middle LB...it just wouldn't work. he was a pure pass rusher, not a gap stuffer.

On Offense, you must tailor your style based on your talent. Without a strong quick back or a solid run blocking Oline you are relegated to a quick short passing O similar to the WCO. But if you have the O-line and durable quick back with adequate QB and WRs you become a run first O (Steelers).

OK I'm done

casdhf
09-24-2002, 07:01 PM
The scheme is why we're 4th in the league in sacks. The lack of talent up front is why we can't stop the run. We're close, but it'll still be another draft before we get the right players in the right spots