• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ingtar33
    Dances With Buffaloes
    • Sep 2002

Calm down everyone...

So we watched our team loose again, this time to a decent (if injury depleted) Eagles team. After 4 games our team is 2-2, and unless im reading the standings wrong that gives us the same number of wins EVERY other team in the AFC East has (except of course for those terrible jets)

Today was a heart breaker of course. Our D looked rather good, but there comes a point when the bad calls and long drives take a toll. We had Spikes playing with just one eye. Sam and Pat looked rather good. Bannon, and Denny rather bad. Kelsay, Schobel and Edwards all had their moments both good and bad.

The O-line was at times painful to watch, as the interior of that line yet again never showed up. Shaw had a few ugly drops, but on the whole i think the undoing of the offense was the penalties.

Going into this game I was having a few PM conversations with others on this board, and the one strategy I said I would utilize coming into this game would be to toss out the TE and FB, bring in 4 WR, and go run 'n shoot for the whole 60 minutes. My reasoning for this was that the Eagles secondary was a mess, and while they had injuries to their front 7, all of those men were backups. When you spread the field, you do several things; one is that the blitz and coverage becomes obvious to your QB/OL. So the heavy blitzing Eagles would have been exposed in their blitzes giving our o-line and QB/WRs a chance to adjust. The second reason is, that you force the eagles to play more practice squad DBs, which, if you ask me, I like that match up. Furthermore, the passing system we use, IS the run ‘n shoot passing attack, and the adjustment to that offence would be child’s play.

Unfortunately, Gilbride, again spent the 1st half stubbornly trying to get his offence to work. Even when Pro Bowl CB Troy Vincent went down (removing all 3 PBers from their secondary) Gilbride continued with the 2WR 1TE 1FB 1RB alignments. In the 3rd quarter Gilbride tossed the base alignments out and stuck to a near run 'n shoot offense the rest of the way

(as a side note, I discount the play calling in downs that determine the call. In 1st and 20, down by 10, I no longer count it as a "pass play" when Drew lines up in shotgun and throws all three downs. The same as how I do not count runs in 3rd and inches or 4th and inches).

So what can you take from this game? Well sometimes **** happens. We got jobbed by a flag happy officiating crew. Our O-line still cannot run block. Puccillo still cannot play (last year even Sullivan looked better than that). The people calling for Burns or Simington just had their reality check (as both looked mediocre). The middle of our D is tough to run against, the only serious failure on our D I see is that we get eaten alive with off-tackle runs (read this as meaning VERY poor DE play). I would not be worried about the long TD run (yes that was a backbreaker) but there were two horrible non-called holds on that run (one where Kelsay, tried to close the hole, and was literally clothes-lined from behind, bending him backwards in one of the worst looking non-holding calls I've ever seen) which were critical to springing it. Our coaching staff didn’t embarrass themselves (though I thought it seriously ballsy to go for the TD, down by 10 with 3minutes left).

As a result, I say, we've got to dust ourselves off, figure out what we are on offense, and get ready for a stout (defensively) Bengals team.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!
  • shadowfax
    • Jan 2003

good points. but what hurts most

is that the refs were clearly missing holding calls all over the field, but calling X-file penalties on the Bills. I'm doing my best to see these calls objectively so my homerism doesn't get the better of me. But man...on that 3rd down conversion to Thrash, Schobel was held so badly I was tossing my socks at the screen.

Holding and PI are waaay to subjective. EMpower coaches to challenge those calls. Otherwise, how can you blame anyone for feeling like these refs are conspiratorially against the Bills? Or that in this case, they had a directive to not allow the Eagles to lose for financial reasons? What other explanation could there be for such horrible, horrible calls and non-calls?

But on a more provable level, I can't understand why these coaches put Pucillo in there and haven't even let Sullivan dress yet. If it takes an injury to Pucillo, let it happen. Cuz Sullivan could run block. And this team needs to start running, cuz they're now 31st in the league in rushing, and no team is going to the playoffs below 20 in that category. No fuggin way.

Comment

• don137
      • Jul 2002

I really feel the ref had a major factor in the outcome (two bad personal foul calls that kept drives alive, a obvious completion by Reed for a first down that the refs called incomplete resulting a missed 51 FGA instead of first down, just to name a few examples) but I feel Buffalo could of played better to overcome the officiating.
      It is apparent that Gilbride has no cofindence in the OL. Twice on 3rd and one he called for a pass play. The lack of run blocking is starting to look like an achilles heel of this team.
      McNabb had way too much time in the pocket. There was no pass rush whatsoever (where is Posey this year). On the critical 3rd down before Buckhalters TD run McNabb had sat back in the pocket and just waited for a receiver to get open. If they sustained any type of pressure on that play they McNabb would of had to throw the ball away.
      BTW, Kevin Thomas looks like the second coming of Chris Waston.

Comment

• socalfan
        Old Fogey from Cali
        • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Ingtar33

.......The O-line was at times painful to watch, as the interior of that line yet again never showed up. .............
        The interior is too slow for the last several defenses they have faced. If the play a finese blocking scheme against a quicker opponent they are going to get killed.

.....bring in 4 WR, and go run 'n shoot for the whole 60 minutes.
        This would work fine if the line could stop 4-6 rushers for more than 3 seconds....But if not, then you're going to see way more three and outs in under 15 seconds.

.....When you spread the field, you do several things; one is that the blitz and coverage becomes obvious to your QB/OL.
        I don't think the problem is identifying the biltz, the problem is stopping it. Knowing that it will happen is surely something everyone on the Bills' offense is sorely aware of. It will be the main defensive strategy used against the Bills from here on out.

........ The second reason is, that you force the eagles to play more practice squad DBs
        That would be a great strategy if the quarterback had at least 3 seconds to unload the ball, but the pass routes the Bills run take longer to develope.

......Unfortunately, Gilbride, again spent the 1st half stubbornly trying to get his offence to work.
        And part of the second half sitting on the bench as the Eagles moved down the field for their field goal. looking over film and getting help from Alex Van Pelt, Jerry Ostrowski and the offensive line coach. He looked absolutely befuddled. What is it he cannot see?

....... In the 3rd quarter Gilbride tossed the base alignments out and stuck to a near run 'n shoot offense the rest of the way
        Lot of movement little scoring....because you cannot consistently move a team down the field by throwing the ball. The old saying is true...when you throw the ball 3 things can happen and two of them are bad.

The Bills need to get the offensive line up and running or they are toast.

Comment

• NoRing4U
          • Jun 2003

You guys never should of even scored 6.

That catch on the goaline was an incomplete, so stop *****in about the calls . There were a FEW suspicious calls, but you guys just flat out got beat, again.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
            short bus extraordinaire
            • Jul 2002

Re: Calm down everyone...

Originally posted by Ingtar33
            The O-line was at times painful to watch, as the interior of that line yet again never showed up.
            Ingtar,i respect your opinions and knowledge of football but let's not sugar-coat this area of our team.

THEY ABSOLUTELY STUNK UP THE PLACE!!!!!!!
            Originally posted by yordad
            Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Typ0
              honey pie
              • Jul 2002

The game decisons sucked. We could have played that fourth quarter just like we played the first only won it instead of lost it. We never should have went for the TD when we could have scored points and given the ball to the defense.

Comment

• Typ0
                honey pie
                • Jul 2002

Giving up at the end when there was plenty of opportunity tells me there is a lack of mental focus on the team too. It's something that goes along with the penalties that doesn't look good.

Comment

• Typ0
                  honey pie
                  • Jul 2002

I'm pissed about this game...... They wanted to get beat and we didn't beat them on our turf. We have to win at home.

Comment

• IHateTheDullphins
                    New and Improved!!
                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by NoRing4U
                    You guys never should of even scored 6.

That catch on the goaline was an incomplete, so stop *****in about the calls . There were a FEW suspicious calls, but you guys just flat out got beat, again.

GO spout your brainless crap somewhere else

Leads? Yeah, sure. I'll...uh...just check with the boys down at the crimelab. Yeah, they got four more detectives on the case....we're working in shifts!"

Comment

• Historian
                      2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                      • Dec 2002

Fire him!!!

Comment

• NoRing4U
                        • Jun 2003

Originally posted by IHateTheDullphins

GO spout your brainless crap somewhere else

Pfft, if you have the tape..look at it again.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by NoRing4U

Pfft, if you have the tape..look at it again.
                          Please be objective, or 'please leave the forum'. You were not here prior to the bills-fins game and all of a sudden you show up after the fins beat the bills.
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Typ0
                            honey pie
                            • Jul 2002

Comment

• Winfield_26
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

I think what I saw out there today was a complete lack of faith by our players in the schemes we are running. I saw Bledsoe husling and I saw Spikes, and Fletcher but both the DL and the OL looked slow sluggish and didnt want to be there. Our team has no motivation to win, I dont think Drew is doing the job he was brought here to do by leading his team, I didnt once see him get vocal on the sidelines, not even after the TD.

NoRing4U-You must be an idiot b.c as stated by NFL rules all the player has to do is have control of the ball and have both feet inbounds, if you review your tape it shows that he more than took the step while spinning through the tackle and had complete control until it was knocked away by the safety.
                              COMING SOON...
                              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X