PDA

View Full Version : Where's the intensity?

The_Philster
09-28-2003, 10:24 PM
The major problem I noticed throughout the game was the lack of heart that the Bills showed today. With a few exceptions, they played like it was preseason.
It EVEN started with just coming out onto the field. Many of you know I sit right next to the tunnel so I'm right there when the players come in and out onto the field.
As long as I've had seasons, I've seen Ruben come out pumped up, shaking his fists, and really getting the crowd fired up.
Jonas Jennings started doing that last year and Takeo showed Opening Day that his excitement put theirs to shame.
Well, Jonas was pumped, but not a single other player acted like they were excited to be going out to play a game that meant sommething...a game where we could take out our frustrations at having been embarassed on National TV last week.
That right there was a bad sign and it all concluded with that last actual drive we had which was meant to be a drive to score quickly.
In a two-minute drill, the players have to get the LOS as quickly as possible to get the next play run. You'd think that veterans like Bobby Shaw and Eric Moulds would know this yet there they were barely jogging back to the line. What happened to not giving up?

MDFINFAN
09-28-2003, 10:43 PM
Emotional drain from last week, that was the only way I see the eagles beating you...it's defintely not the physical abilities of your team.

The_Philster
09-28-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by MDFINFAN
Emotional drain from last week, that was the only way I see the eagles beating you...it's defintely not the physical abilities of your team.

They should have been pissed off from that embarassment and taken it out on the Eagles. They looked like they didn't care. :madfire:

imbondz
09-28-2003, 10:51 PM
I don't buy they were emotionally drained. They're professionals getting paid millions. Maybe a high school team or college team gets' emotionally drained, but not in the NFL the 4th game of the season. Maybe a playoff game can, but that's still just an excuse.

A home game, against a team that made it to the NFC championship a year before isn't big enough to get excited?

MDFINFAN
Originally posted by The_Philster

They should have been pissed off from that embarassment and taken it out on the Eagles. They looked like they didn't care. :madfire:

First time this year they faced adversity, they'll have to learn as a team to get over it and move on. They will now, because they will feel a sense of urgency.

Turf
You're right Phil. When the game started, even here I could sense they were flat. I never got into the game. Top to bottom, they had no heart.

MDFINFAN
09-28-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by imbondz
I don't buy they were emotionally drained. They're professionals getting paid millions. Maybe a high school team or college team gets' emotionally drained, but not in the NFL the 4th game of the season. Maybe a playoff game can, but that's still just an excuse.

A home game, against a team that made it to the NFC championship a year before isn't big enough to get excited?

Even with all those millions, they're still human...look back at the pats in your first game against them after you got their D. Captain, emotions plays a great part in this game..you'd think earning that kind of money, you shouldn't need any more motivation, that used to be my argument, I've since learned, that's not true.

MTBillsFan
09-28-2003, 11:15 PM
Even with all those millions, they're still human...look back at the pats in your first game against them after you got their D. Captain, emotions plays a great part in this game..you'd think earning that kind of money, you shouldn't need any more motivation, that used to be my argument, I've since learned, that's not true.

MD- for the first time, I actually agree with what you've said. These guys a playing a childrens game and gettin paid huge sums of money... Right now the Bills need to earn their checks

socalfan
09-29-2003, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster
The major problem I noticed throughout the game was the lack of heart that the Bills showed today. ......

The only time I've ever seen that was when the coach deflated everyone by not being aggresive during the week, then the troops have this 'guess they don't think we can smash them' attitude. They are already dazed from the dullphin beating and the coaches aren't aggressive enough to get the troops over the hump and back at it.

The players usually get motivated on their own, but their own coaches can knock the attitude out of them a whole lot better than another team can.

The_Philster
09-29-2003, 04:55 AM
First time this year they faced adversity, they'll have to learn as a team to get over it and move on. They will now, because they will feel a sense of urgency.

They should have had that sense of urgency against the Eagles. They talked all week like they knew they had to step it up. But when the game rolled around, few did.

The_Philster
09-29-2003, 05:07 PM
How many games do we have to get embarassed in before this team wakes up?

Ð
09-29-2003, 05:09 PM
The majorettes in the halftime show were more intense than the Bills were...

The_Philster
09-29-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Ð

Actually, they were. :eek: It wasn't a marching band but a dancing band.

helmetguy
09-29-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by imbondz

I had a business professor tell me once that money is not a motivator. If anything, it is a DEmotivator. A guy getting paid millions isn't as hungry, doesn't have the sense of urgency, of a guy who is still trying to make it big. In a way, the fear and dread of LOSING a pile of money would be more of a motivator. Players are more apt to get that sense of urgency if they know their job and their income and security are in jeopardy.

Historian
09-29-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Ð

Most of the action was in the stands yesterday, as evidenced by all the groups of yellow jackets breaking up fights.

The Eagles took the crowd right out of it with their first touchdown. It was the quietest I have heard the Ralph in years.