X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Novacane
    • Jul 2002

why can't we run the ball?

How do we go from an above average team running the ball last year to one of the worst this year. It just does not make sense. Any opinions?
  • Ð
    1-800-SAD-GOAT
    • Jul 2002

Coaching, or lack thereof

Comment

• Fairway To Green
      • Jul 2002

I agree our coaching is weak and they did not even try to run againt Miami and Philly but what about weeks 1 and 2. They tried to run the ball and could not. It's got to be more than just coaching

Comment

• WCoastFin
        I have the arms of a new born baby!
        • Jul 2002

Re: why can't we run the ball?

Originally posted by Fairway To Green
        why can't we run the ball?

simple question, simple answer:

Cuz your RB's suck.

Let me brake it down to you:

T.Henry - Overrated
        W.McGahee - Injured
        J.Burns - Scrubb
        K.Simonton - ....need I go on?

We wanna see you spit now!!!lets face it we suck.

Comment

• Fairway To Green
          • Jul 2002

Simple answer from a simple mind. Theres more to it than that. Henry does not go from a 1400 yard back to sucking over 1 season. He may be overated but theres is more to the problem than just RB's.

Comment

• Ð
            1-800-SAD-GOAT
            • Jul 2002

Hey, until the last year Miami knows all about scrub running backs.

I thiink they invented the term.

Comment

• jaja54
              • Aug 2003

How do we go from an above average team running the ball last year to one of the worst this year. It just does not make sense. Any opinions?
              Question: Could it be the lack of having Peerless? Defenses now have the luxury of not having to double both wideouts and thus are able to use an extra man to stuff the run. Just an idea.

Comment

• L.A. Playa
                • Aug 2003

could it be the man that gregg williams was a best man for in his wedding was fired???? gregg was pissed and wants to be let go because he has no control over his staff so to get back at the bills he is putting the team in positions that they can't win

conspiracy theory # 2,589,378,429

Comment

• HenryRules
                  • Jul 2002

It has nothing to do with our RB's ... it's the fact that our OL cannot open any holes at all. When was the last time that you saw an RB on our team not meet someone within the first 2 yards after the LOS on a run between the tackles?

I don't expect holes like that on every play, but honestly, in the first 4 games I can't remember a single hole like that at all. I don't blame Gilbride at all for not running the ball ... if we were occasionally opening holes, okay, but not opening a decent hole on approx. 70 or 80 carries? Why the hell would anyone run?

The OL had plenty of chances against NE and Miami to prove they could open holes and didn't ... do not blame Gilbride for not going to it again - blame the OL coach or players.

Comment

• LABillsFan
                    • Aug 2002

Gilbride is the OC, if he knows there is a problem with the running game he should be working with Ruel to develope plays that will work. What new plays have been installed? None that I see. KG totally under utilizes the screen and roll outs, Bledsoe is not that immobile as he is made out to be. KG is a major part of the problem and it's his job to run the offense. He had some good years in Houston before getting slapped upside the head by Ryan, then 2 out of 3 decent years in JAX, got booted in SD after 1 year and ousted in Pitt. Talk about things you want to leave out of a resume.
                    I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by LABillsFan
                      Gilbride is the OC, if he knows there is a problem with the running game he should be working with Ruel to develope plays that will work. What new plays have been installed? None that I see. KG totally under utilizes the screen and roll outs, Bledsoe is not that immobile as he is made out to be. KG is a major part of the problem and it's his job to run the offense. He had some good years in Houston before getting slapped upside the head by Ryan, then 2 out of 3 decent years in JAX, got booted in SD after 1 year and ousted in Pitt. Talk about things you want to leave out of a resume.
                      I agree about the lack of screens and roll outs.

How about lack of play action. Of course you have to run the ball a little first....

Comment

• venis2k1
                        Youboty can hope
                        • Jul 2002

Re: why can't we run the ball?

when were we an above average running team. We finished 24th in run offense last year. there were 23 other teams that moved the ball for more yards than us on the ground last year, these include Cincinnati, Dallas and Arizona.

Comment

• HenryRules
                          • Jul 2002

Gilbride doesn't have time to do someone elses job ... if the OL coach sucks, then the OL coach sucks, not Gilbride. I don't know who hired the OL coach, but blame them, not Gilbride (unless it was Gilbride that hired him, but I don't believe it was).

Gilbride has absolutely no background in OL development as far as I know, why the hell should he be expected to coach it?

Comment

• HenryRules
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by billsfanone

I agree about the lack of screens and roll outs.

How about lack of play action. Of course you have to run the ball a little first....
                            If the other team can get pressure without blitzing, the screen and roll outs are useless.

Play action sucks unless you can run (as you stated).

All of screens, roll outs, dump offs, play action, etc. rely on you being able to do the basics right, not the other way around.

Comment

• LABillsFan
                              • Aug 2002

Play action is still available. If DB rolls out the D line will adjust, he either hands it off as a counter play or passes. Mixing up both options establishes play action.
                              I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X