PDA

View Full Version : 2-2

Phins054
09-29-2003, 10:57 AM
I'm seeing a LOT of panic here in Bills land after the loss to Philly. You guys are calling for Williams head in week 4...WEEK 4 for Gods sake.

Bottom line...You have new talent on Defense and it will take time to gel. Your top runner is out for ??? how long? It's still early and you are at 2-2. You have the Bungles next week which should get you back on track. Even without a running game.

If anything get a new OC because Gilbride is just too pass happy.

a 2-2 record doesn't mean abandon ship...

imbondz
09-29-2003, 11:00 AM
You were calling for Wannys after game one :rolleyes:

Bruce is Loose
09-29-2003, 11:02 AM
THANK YOU!

too bad it had to come from a fin fan... why is everyone so pessemistic.
2 awesome games...
1 horrid game (against Miami)...
another loss against a GOOD philly team, where we really didnt play that badly. Didnt get lucky with turnovers, some BS penalties, a missed field goal - otherwise we would have won this game.

lordofgun
09-29-2003, 11:06 AM
Really didn't play badly? What facet of the game were we god at yesterday? Because I didn't see any good things in the game!

Valerie
09-29-2003, 11:08 AM
That's all true, Tanked, but I really didn't think the Bills defense was all that great yesterday either! How many tackles did they miss? I wasn't impressed with the offense or the defense in yesterday's game.

Ð
09-29-2003, 11:08 AM
Didn't score a frickin' point until the fourth qtr against a crappy Philly defense that have beeen blown out by lesser teams & you say we "didn't play that badly"

Smoke another doob, man

Phins054
09-29-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by imbondz
You were calling for Wannys after game one :rolleyes:

Some were...I wasn't. I don't really think that there are any other coaches available during this past offseason that are much better. Mariucci is a good coach, but I wouldn't say he's the missing piece. Honestly it really comes down to the talent of your team and their character (heart and determination). A coach can only keep a team focused and make the calls as far as FG or punt 1 or 2 pt conversions blah blah blah...

I think DCs and OCs are more important to team philosophy...

justasportsfan
09-29-2003, 11:09 AM
It isn't panic but posters merely pointing out what is wrong in every aspect of the team. I realize that even if the fins win against the giants , the bills are still very much in the thick of things.

No one is saying that our season is over. We just have our own individual opinions of what needs to be done whether we are qualified to do so or not. No one is jumping ship yet as far as what I've read.

R. Rich
09-29-2003, 11:10 AM
Again, please refer to the "It's Only..." thread I posted to know why I am upset. Panic? Not yet. I do think they need to work on some things. If not, here's what we'll be seeing each week:

"it's only the _th loss in a row and we're only __ games out of first"

eventually, we'll be seeing "it's only one more bad season".

Of course, if they get serious about correcting the problems they have, these 2 games may not matter at all. The main thing is to get to work on what hasn't been working too well, namely the running game, run defense, and the pass rush.

don137
09-29-2003, 11:12 AM
Many fans are sick of the bad play calling, the appearance of coaches not rallying and getting the respect of the players (you as a fin fan know what I am talking about from your game against Houston), bad judgement and coaching decisions.

I think most of the issues is not with the defense and they have the majority of the new players other than Shaw who has done well so I don't think lack of time to gel is an issue. The OL has not gelled and is abominable in pass protection and run blocking. Pucillo is the only new addition so they have had time to gel but haven't. If you have a good OL it shouldn't matter who is running the ball.

imbondz
09-29-2003, 11:15 AM
if it was a case of playing well, just not getting any breaks, that's another story. But that's not what's happening. Our D gives up a ton of rushing yards, our O doesn't show up until 5 minutes left in the game. The play calling is attrocious. We have a non-existent running game. We have a ton of talent on the field not getting the job done. There's a lack of discipline - penalties, and no urgency or excitement on the field from the players.

it's tough to be positive. yeah we're 2-2, in second place. But, we have an excellent team that should be at least 3-1 and cruising into next weeks game, instead of limping.

mchurchfie
09-29-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
Really didn't play badly? What facet of the game were we god at yesterday? Because I didn't see any good things in the game!

The booing was pretty god at halftime.:snicker:
http://mchurchfie.freeyellow.com/ZZLOG3.jpg

Bruce is Loose
09-29-2003, 11:23 AM
-I thought the defense did well after the first drive:
the second drive would have been stopped were it not for a BS penalty on Milloy on third to keep the drive alive... to hold a very good (they may not have been very good the first two games but they played well yesterday) to two more FGs during hte game isnt bad. The last TD was because we were (as we should have been) playing to contain at the first down line... anything breaks through there and the game is over anyways so why worry about breakout plays? We had a few chances for turnovers but the
balls didnt bounce our way - no major letdowns on defense.

-Special teams was respectable - Antonio Brown showed why he held a roster spot.

-Offense certainly sputtered due to lack or rhythm but when they got it back they looked dominant. Who thinks we dont win that game if it were 15 minutes longer?

-For those of you blaming coaching... you DO go for two late in the fourth to make it a one score game... you DO go for the TD on the inch line... he knows challenge rules better than me so i wont touch that.

Now Im not saying we played well, I just dont think we are as bad as everyone thinks. Why everyone is jumping ship at 2-2 after some of our tough games are behind us is beyond me.

R. Rich
09-29-2003, 11:28 AM
The whole "jumping ship" thing is what I don't get. If I post how frustrated I am at our inability to stop teams on third down and to pick up third downs ourselves, how is that "jumping ship"? Now, if I said "this team sucks; I think I'll root for the Carolina Panthers or the Indianapolis Colts", that would be "jumping ship". What I am doing, and a lot of others also, is voicing my opinion on the team I love more than ANY other team in sports!!

Bruce is Loose
09-29-2003, 11:30 AM
ok, sorry for the wording... i suppose i just dont think we should be as pessimistic as we are... well there are a million things we can do to improve, we are doing some things right and they deserve to be noted too. I look through the posts and see all negative aspects and it frustrates me.

Ebenezer
09-29-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Phins054
If anything get a new OC because Gilbride is just too pass happy.

a 2-2 record doesn't mean abandon ship...

The fish rots from the head down...in this case the head coach...gr-EGG Head either doesn't have the balls or the power to override KG...in either case that is grounds for dismissal.

Ebenezer
09-29-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by R. Rich
The whole "jumping ship" thing is what I don't get. If I post how frustrated I am at our inability to stop teams on third down and to pick up third downs ourselves, how is that "jumping ship"? Now, if I said "this team sucks; I think I'll root for the Carolina Panthers or the Indianapolis Colts", that would be "jumping ship". What I am doing, and a lot of others also, is voicing my opinion on the team I love more than ANY other team in sports!!

:hail: RR...I think most of that understand and agree with you.

imbondz
09-29-2003, 11:32 AM
no one is jumping ship. We freakin' love this team. But after the first two games, our expectations have changed with good reason. Picking up Milloy, and seeing what we did against a good Pats team changes things.

R. Rich
09-29-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by tanked
ok, sorry for the wording... i suppose i just dont think we should be as pessimistic as we are... well there are a million things we can do to improve, we are doing some things right and they deserve to be noted too. I look through the posts and see all negative aspects and it frustrates me.

It's real hard for me to look at yesterday's game and pick out 'the good things' from anyone. It was a poorly played game by the entire team. This wasn't a case where our defense played great and was worn down by an offense that was off the field in 3 plays (like the Miami game); the defense was bad also. Just as players should accept the praise and the a** kissing they get when they do things right (they got plenty of that after the home opener!), they should also face the music when things are clearly not going well, as is the case here. That said, this has been my team for over 20 years and I have NO plans on ever 'jumping ship'!!!!!!

R. Rich
09-29-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer

:hail: RR...I think most of that understand and agree with you.

Thanks Eb; I may not have been born a Bills fan (in my naive youth, I was brainwashed into rooting for the Steelers-ugh!), but I most certainly will die a Bills fan!

By the way, I found a photo with you and Honey from the Brew Pub that I posted along with the other pictures in the galleries. If you haven't seen it, check it out.

L.A. Playa
09-29-2003, 11:43 AM
before we beat new englan 31-0 and everyone got overly excited the fact is we wher facing 3 teams in our first 4 games that where and are picked to be serious contenders for the super bowl
you get picked to be in the super bowl based on overall talent not just starters
we went 1-2 in those games not what we would like but most people projected the bills a year away from being a serious contenders with most saying we would not make the playoffs this year
is our play the last two weeks alarming ??? yes
at least if we are a good team we will correct and play solid the rest of the year
everyone's opinions are valid because they are your opinions
we could go 9-7 and out of the playoffs this year
but the great thing about football is we can have another great offseason and be hopeful again
remember this team is just 2 years removed from that horrible 3-13 team and players need time to gel with teamates and coaches
they will turn it around and win 12 games this year

R. Rich
09-29-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by imbondz
no one is jumping ship. We freakin' love this team. But after the first two games, our expectations have changed with good reason. Picking up Milloy, and seeing what we did against a good Pats team changes things.

I made a post about the New England game earlier in the "The Dolphins Beat You Twice" thread where I said that I thought that we were REAL psyched to beat the Pats and how that game may not be indicative of where this team is right now. We'll find out in the weeks to come just how close we are to either the team that blew out the Pats or the team that just blew it in the last 2 weeks.

helmetguy
09-29-2003, 11:49 AM
I have to agree that no one is jumping ship because of two straight losses; particularly after starting the season with two impressive wins. Those two wins notwithstanding, I was of the opinion that, with the talent assembled by Tom Donahoe, this team could win IN SPITE of Gregg Williams. Now, I'm not so certain. What I am certain of (and as I had suspected two years ago) that the only thing Williams IS capable of doing is converting success into failure. I've heard that, despite the loss to Miami, the players still supported the Headuphisass Coach. By the way this last game unfolded, I'm beginning to wonder if the players feel as though he has stopped supporting them. That is, given the opportunities to convert third and short (five, by my count), Williams & Co. announced to the world that he has no faith in his offensive line or RBs to get the 1-2 yards.

Ebenezer
09-29-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by pmacla
players need time to gel with teamates and coaches
they will turn it around and win 12 games this year

this team will not go 10-2 the rest of the season...you can engrave this one right now...they will lose to KC, Tenn, Dallas and Indi...they will struggle with NE, Wash and possibly Houston...

Bruce is Loose
09-29-2003, 11:55 AM

this team will not go 10-2 the rest of the season...you can engrave this one right now...they will lose to KC, Tenn, Dallas and Indi...they will struggle with NE, Wash and possibly Houston...

calling a loss to Dal?? It may happen but i gotta figure well be favored in that one, no?

L.A. Playa
09-29-2003, 11:59 AM
we shall see everyone is entilted to their opinion
if i said after the jacksonville game this team would go 12-4 alot of people would have said yes
remamber not every team that is undefeated after 4 games is that good
alot of early season records are based on the level of competition
minnesota opponent 3-10
seattle opponents 4-8
carolina opponents 3-8
kc opponents 6-10
denver oppoents 4-12
indy opponents 5-11
they all won games they should win the bills loss to the eagles is a game they should win but can be argued taht the game against the pats is a game they should have lost anyway early season losses though frustrating can be beneficial allows to make adjustments and get things right and do things that do work

Ebenezer
09-29-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by pmacla
we shall see everyone is entilted to their opinion
if i said after the jacksonville game this team would go 12-4 alot of people would have said yes
remamber not every team that is undefeated after 4 games is that good
alot of early season records are based on the level of competition
minnesota opponent 3-10
seattle opponents 4-8
carolina opponents 3-8
kc opponents 6-10
denver oppoents 4-12
indy opponents 5-11
they all won games they should win the bills loss to the eagles is a game they should win but can be argued taht the game against the pats is a game they should have lost anyway early season losses though frustrating can be beneficial allows to make adjustments and get things right and do things that do work

winning and losing is the ultimate truth...losing sucks...but it is how you win and how you lose...Minn and Indi crushed their oppenents and looked good doing it...Buffalo looked bad losing...

calling a loss to Dal?? It may happen but i gotta figure well be favored in that one, no?

favored doesn't mean squat....

justasportsfan
09-29-2003, 12:13 PM

favored doesn't mean squat....

Amen. we were favored yesterday.

helmetguy
09-30-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
Amen. we were favored yesterday.

As long as the math worked out, GW figured that was all the game planning that was necessary. He had it written on that crib sheet he always carries. What more preparation did he have to have?

justasportsfan
09-30-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by helmetguy

As long as the math worked out, GW figured that was all the game planning that was necessary. He had it written on that crib sheet he always carries. What more preparation did he have to have?

There wasn't a player who was mentally prepared for the game. Even Spikes, Milloy, Moulds, who are veteran leaders didn't have their minds into the game. That's a coaches job. Name one player who outstood.

Shobel was decent but not awsome.

Clements, was missing tackles all day. The first 3 games, Winfield was a probowler. He wasn't against the eagles.

The entire OL sucked.

Special teams wasn't spectacular but they didn't blow the game.

When your team isn't mentally prepared , it all points to coaching.

socalfan
09-30-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
........ No one is jumping ship yet as far as what I've read.

Yeah, I don't see people jumping ship. They are too peeved to jump ship now.

.... i suppose i just dont think we should be as pessimistic as we are.......

I wouldn't feel so pessimistic if we didn't go scoreless offensively for 7 of 8 quarters of the last two games. If we loose close ones when we are moving the ball and the defense is effective then fine we lost the games....but this looks like a coach out thinking and outsmarting himself; and the whole team recognizing it.