PDA

View Full Version : Still waiting for the vaunted defense that GW promised from Day One

mchurchfie
09-29-2003, 12:00 PM
We haven't had a good defense in Buffalo since Teddy Cotrell and the 3-4. This defense has no passrush at all or no push at the line of scrimmage. The emphasis is on smaller quicker people (excluding Williams & Adams) on defense all getting to the ball in a hurry. From what I can see either our defense is getting physically manhandled or they rush to the passer or ball carrier so quick that half of the time they run right by them. Williams can take his Tennesee-style defense and Jerry Gray and stick'em where the sun don't shine.:shakeno:

LtBillsFan66
09-29-2003, 12:02 PM
They played well the first 3 games...

mchurchfie
09-29-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by billsfanone
They played well the first 3 games...

Not well enough....even in the NE game they were getting run on 4-6 Yds at a pop. I know that they were in some kind of a prevent then but the good defenses stop everything most of the time, no matter what the situation. We haven't had a very good passrush, push on the line, or the ability to shut down the run the whole season and it has come back to haunt us. Not stopping a team on offense because of playcalling is one thing, but when you just plain get outmatched physically, that is very discouraging.

Ebenezer
09-29-2003, 12:12 PM
another reason to fire him...

Historian
09-29-2003, 12:13 PM
...and the West Coast Offense... and the improved special teams...and the discipline....and...

mchurchfie
09-29-2003, 12:14 PM
:lol:

imbondz
09-29-2003, 12:14 PM
games 1-3 the D played awesome. Especially against Miami, though they couldn't stop RW, not many teams do. Yesterday, they played flat, but I bet it's because the offense didn't put any points on the board for 3 quarters and the D was on the field again way too long. Time of possession kills the Defense.

LtBillsFan66
09-29-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by mchurchfie
Not well enough....even in the NE game they were getting run on 4-6 Yds at a pop. I know that they were in some kind of a prevent then but the good defenses stop everything most of the time, no matter what the situation. We haven't had a very good passrush, push on the line, or the ability to shut down the run the whole season and it has come back to haunt us. Not stopping a team on offense because of playcalling is one thing, but when you just plain get outmatched physically, that is very discouraging.

They also let up zero points the first game!

Man you guys are really reaching for reasons.

R. Rich
09-29-2003, 12:19 PM
What made it worse was the brash way he came into town, talking about how he didn't care what kind of defense was here before, his was better and all that crap. So far, he hasn't delivered on his boasting/trash talking. He had better get it in gear quickly and get this team winning again. I know it can be done, because the talent is here. It's up to Williams and his staff to know what they can do and what they can't. Then, get to doing those things you can do! What's more, be more aggressive in doing so, especially up front on both offense and defense!

Buckets
09-29-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by imbondz
games 1-3 the D played awesome. Especially against Miami, though they couldn't stop RW, not many teams do. Yesterday, they played flat, but I bet it's because the offense didn't put any points on the board for 3 quarters and the D was on the field again way too long. Time of possession kills the Defense.

Somebody always has to defend the defensless. The D was flat right from the opening snap. They were back on their heels, no attack D here. They looked like they were a page behind.

:madfire:

mchurchfie
09-29-2003, 12:26 PM

The offense is obviously one of the culprits for the offset time of possession but the defense's inability to stop the offense from converting on third downs is killing them also. They all go hand in hand. This defense is an average/good defense with the ability to be great and nothing more right now.

LtBillsFan66
09-29-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Buckets
Somebody always has to defend the defensless. The D was flat right from the opening snap. They were back on their heels, no attack D here. They looked like they were a page behind.

:madfire:

In yesterday's game, yes. But not in games 1-3.

Historian
09-29-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by R. Rich
What made it worse was the brash way he came into town, talking about how he didn't care what kind of defense was here before, his was better and all that crap.

Yes, then he proceeded to rip apart the league's #3 defense.

helmetguy
09-29-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Billsology
Yes, then he proceeded to rip apart the league's #3 defense.

That's why I've often referred to him as "Tennessee" Williams. It seems like that's where he'd rather be than "right here, right now!"

Buckets
09-29-2003, 12:43 PM

In yesterday's game, yes. But not in games 1-3.

I'm not being critical of the D personel but its preparation and game plan. Usually when a game goes this far south the blame rests with the coaches.

Drewpac
09-29-2003, 12:53 PM
The defense gave a poor effort yesterday but the big problems lie on the offensive side of the ball. Remember, all we wanted going into this season was to have a top 15 (middle of the pack) defense that wouldn't put too much pressure on the offense. Now the offense is putting pressure on the defense.

imbondz
09-29-2003, 12:55 PM
you can't tell me the D wasn't thinking they had to carry the game on their shoulders again after the O didn't score at halftime. The Eagles were far from dominant yesterday, the Bills D did their job in my opinion, except the rushing TD at the end.

16 points w/ 1 minute left in the game is excellent. If our O scored in the first 3 quarters, our D would have had a different attitude I bet.

Brian Griese Rulz
09-29-2003, 12:56 PM
We haven't had a consistent pass rush from a DE since Bruce Smith was here.

mchurchfie
09-29-2003, 12:59 PM
If our O scored in the first 3 quarters, our D would have had a different attitude I bet.

It's kind of hard to score in the first quarter when the other team's offense has the ball over 13 minutes of the 15....??:huh:

LtBillsFan66
09-29-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Buckets
I'm not being critical of the D personel but its preparation and game plan. Usually when a game goes this far south the blame rests with the coaches.

I agree.

But the arguement from some in here is that the D has sucked this season. They sucked yesterday (coaches or players or both - I'm leaning towards gameplan), but NOT in games 1-3!

lordofgun
09-29-2003, 01:04 PM
The run D has been OK...nothing special.

imbondz
09-29-2003, 01:11 PM
It's kind of hard to score in the first quarter when the other team's offense has the ball over 13 minutes of the 15....??:huh:

but isn't that because our O was 3 & out consistently?

NoRing4U
09-29-2003, 02:00 PM
Your Defense can't stop anyone.

The reason teams have the ball for 40 min of the game is because your DEFENSE CANT STOP THEM. It doesn't help with your O having no running game either.

lordofgun
09-29-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by NoRing4U

The reason teams have the ball for 40 min of the game is because your DEFENSE CANT STOP THEM. It doesn't help with your O having no running game either.

Master of the obvious. :up:

LtBillsFan66
09-29-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by NoRing4U

It has much more to do with the running game.

STAMPY
09-29-2003, 02:07 PM
16 points isn't too bad but thats not the problem. the Defense couldn't shut down Philly on 3rd downs n stuff. they controlled most of the game. we had the ball lke 1 quarter to there 3. so in that sense our defense failed us. i was very dissappointed especially after the opening drive. they just killed us there

mchurchfie
09-29-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by BuffaloBillsSTAMPEDE
16 points isn't too bad but thats not the problem. the Defense couldn't shut down Philly on 3rd downs n stuff. they controlled most of the game. we had the ball lke 1 quarter to there 3. so in that sense our defense failed us. i was very dissappointed especially after the opening drive. they just killed us there

That's what I'm talking about and the same thing happened on a smaller scale against The Fins..though the O was largley to blame for that one.

LtBillsFan66
09-29-2003, 02:21 PM
That's what I'm talking about and the same thing happened on a smaller scale against The Fins..though the O was largley to blame for that one.

The D deserves some of the blame for the Eagles game... They deserve no blame for the Fins game (that was all O, IMO). And they played great in the first two games.

HenryRules
09-29-2003, 03:52 PM
The purpose of the defense or offense is to give your team the chance to win ... in the last 2 games, our D has not been able to do that.

Against Philly, in the first half, our D could not get the ball to our O ... I don't care how many points were allowed, when you let the other team have multipe drives longer than 6 or 7 minutes in a half that doesn't give your offense a chance to do anything.

Yes, our O went 3 and out, but that's not the reason Philly marched from one end of the field to the other on back-to-back possessions.

This points-only thinking ignores a lot of the important things in football - namely momentum and control of the game. Our defense has let the other team's offense control the game and our offense has let the other team's defense control the game ... both situations must have the Bills players feeling like losers.

rsmithgi
09-29-2003, 04:18 PM

The D deserves some of the blame for the Eagles game... They deserve no blame for the Fins game (that was all O, IMO). And they played great in the first two games.

They certainly deserve some of the blame for the Fins game. After a good start, they couldn't stop the Fins. Four out of six drives went for more than 8 plays each.

The big issue with the defense is the lack of impact plays at critical times. Not enough sacks, tackles for loses, stops on 3rd down, etc.

Granted, a decent amount of offense would take the pressure off of the D by helping to dictate what the opponents offense can do (as seen in the Jax game), but this self-proclaimed 'great' defense has merely been good.

Questions:

Where is Jeff Posey and his sack parade?
What has happened to the 'best linbacking corp in the NFL'?
Do the Bills play two defensive ends?
Do the Bills play two safeties?

shelby
09-29-2003, 05:15 PM
i am not impressed with the play of Prileou thus far. i think Wire should be given a shot at FS. i know, i know, he can't cover. But i think he can learn on the fly.

i don't understand what has our D stuttering right now. We need to develop a better defense against the run, that is obvious.

BillsFever
09-29-2003, 06:10 PM

They wouldn't have a chance to be on the field for 13 minutes if the offense could get a first down.

helmetguy
09-29-2003, 09:51 PM
What we have at the moment is a large portion of the coaching staff that is enamored with schemes. Stick to the scheme at all costs is the prevailing thoery with them.

The_Philster
09-30-2003, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by helmetguy
What we have at the moment is a large portion of the coaching staff that is enamored with schemes. Stick to the scheme at all costs is the prevailing thoery with them.

And good coaches adapt schemes to fit the personnel. Something that Williams REFUSED to do.

helmetguy
09-30-2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster
And good coaches adapt schemes to fit the personnel. Something that Williams REFUSED to do.

He still thinks he's in Tennessee.

"Don't worry, Eddie, we'll have you back in there as soon as Mr. Wilson gives me my new contract."

The_Philster
09-30-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
"Don't worry, Eddie, we'll have you back in there as soon as Mr. Wilson gives me my new contract."

:eek: That's a scary thought.

LMB
09-30-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by BuffaloBillsSTAMPEDE

They had a hard time getting philly off the field on 3rd down cause the ******* zebra's kept the drives going.

helmetguy
09-30-2003, 09:32 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by LMB
They had a hard time getting philly off the field on 3rd down cause the ******* zebra's kept the drives going. [/QUOTE

Check this out:http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20030930/1042145.asp

helmetguy
09-30-2003, 09:35 PM
This is the part that makes me eat Rolaids like candy:

"(Penalties) are always frustrating," Williams said Monday after team meetings. "They are something that we continue to focus on and we've got to get better in that area."

How many freakin' times is he going to repeat "we've got to get better...???" Well, DUH, YEAH!!! THEN DO IT, PUTZ!!!