PDA

View Full Version : Everyone is talking about firing GW

LABillsFan
09-29-2003, 05:53 PM
Because he is the head coach. But think of this. Gilbrides offensive schemes are horrible. Yes GW should be ripping him a new one, but Williams didn't hire him and he can't fire him. It's Tom Donahoe's decision ultimately . For all of the great moves TD has pulled the last three years, he is the one responsible for this guy not GW. So I have to ask why isn't TD getting in the mix of things. If he isn't he should be and if he is, he's not getting results. He did the hiring and he'll do the firing. Has anyone heard anything from him?

HenryRules
09-29-2003, 06:15 PM
I really think its a personnel issue with our offense ... we have one receiver that is a star and 2 that wouldn't be #2's on most teams in the NFL (Bobby Shaw did nothing in Jax with Jimmy Smith, a top-10 receiver on the other side), our OL is middle of the road at best, our RB is solid and probably top-10, our QB is top-10, and our TE's are bottom of the pack.

Add it all up, and we're an average offense and that's just about what we've been playing like ... if everything clicks, we can be really good, but if one component faulters, we don't have the talent elsewhere to rise above.

Also, I don't think we have the chemistry for a good offense - our backs and QB are designed for a power-running/deep ball game, our receivers are designed for a short running game, and our OL is designed for a pass-first game. None of those seem to mesh in my mind.

Ebenezer
09-29-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by LABillsFan
Because he is the head coach. But think of this. Gilbrides offensive schemes are horrible. Yes GW should be ripping him a new one, but Williams didn't hire him and he can't fire him. It's Tom Donahoe's decision ultimately . For all of the great moves TD has pulled the last three years, he is the one responsible for this guy not GW. So I have to ask why isn't TD getting in the mix of things. If he isn't he should be and if he is, he's not getting results. He did the hiring and he'll do the firing. Has anyone heard anything from him?

If he has been neutered by TD then he should step down. Once the players belief he has no power he will completely lose the team.

Historian
09-29-2003, 09:06 PM
I agree Eb. The last thing we need is a lame duck.

helmetguy
09-29-2003, 09:32 PM
The mark of a good coach is to succeed with less than top shelf talent. GREAT coaches make something out of nothing. The deficiencies noted by HenryRules demonstrate that there needs to be someone in charge who can take average players and make them believe they CAN be better. Instead, we have many strengths that are playing down to the abilities of the men in charge-namely GW's.

LABillsFan
09-30-2003, 12:06 AM
True helmet, but a great coach has a supporting cast of coordinators which isn't the case with GW. Do you think Marv was a great coach? I do. But he had the coordinators that were imaginative and trend setting and players that a system was developed around. This is not the case of the present Bills. Do you think KG is trend setting?

I don't think Willams is a great coach by any stretch but how many great coaches are out there and how many teams are in the NFL. How in his third year with a team that is rebuilding, still lacking an Oline and having a OC that is too predictable expect him to achieve greatness?

helmetguy
09-30-2003, 12:50 AM
Marv wasn't afraid to jettison assistants who were not getting the job done. He was, indeed, a great coach and surrounded himself with good assistants. KG is certainly competent enough, but I have to wonder who makes the final decision on who plays on the offensive unit.

What GW brought with him to Buffalo was a truckload of notebooks, an overactive ego, and was surrounded by a bunch of cronies he promised jobs to, once he was given his dream shot.

As much as I hate to admit it, Bill parcells has the Cowboys believing in themselves. They are playing much better than logic would suggest that they are. He's getting a lot more out of a lot less than what GW has at his disposal. On that basis, it would be a compliment to call GW, with considerably MORE talent to work with, incompetent. He has regressed that far.

BADTHINGSMAN
09-30-2003, 12:52 AM
Maybe there should be a "sign TO petition next"..

socalfan
09-30-2003, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by helmetguy
The mark of a good coach is to succeed with less than top shelf talent. GREAT coaches make something out of nothing. .......

Houston won again...and the press is talking about coaching and not the players.

The Bungles win one and the press is talking about the upstarts.

The Cowboys win and Purcells picture is on ESPN.com front page.

I have to agree with you Helmet.