PDA

View Full Version : I just got back from the taping of the Eric Moulds show...

Historian
09-29-2003, 09:21 PM
...not many new revelations, ie, "we gotta get back to basics", etc... but it was a nice night to be there, as his guest was Joe Mesi. They talked more about the fight than the game!

Afterward, as the slew of vultures were crowding around Moulds asking him to autograph everything from helmets to footballs, to cocktail napkins, I slid on over to Jim Brinson, who moderates the show. I asked him if there were any plans to bring back FanTV, which I told him was a great source of information for a Bills/Sabres fan who, at one time, lived out of town. He told me "definately not", and furthermore, at the end of this Sabres season, EMPIRE WILL BE NO MORE. The entire network will be completely disbanded, and the 2004-05 Sabres telecasts will be on a local cable channel. He furthermore went on to say that, one morning, back a couple months ago, everyone had a memo in their mailbox. The people who were told to be at the 9AM meeting, were all let go. The people who were told to attend the 11AM meeting were informed they would be kept on for about another year, until they finally went off the air.

Kind of sad.

Turf
09-29-2003, 09:31 PM
Geez, remind me not to tell you anything.

Ebenezer
09-29-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Billsology
...not many new revelations, ie, "we gotta get back to basics", etc... but it was a nice night to be there, as his guest was Joe Mesi. They talked more about the fight than the game!

Afterward, as the slew of vultures were crowding around Moulds asking him to autograph everything from helmets to footballs, to cocktail napkins, I slid on over to Jim Brinson, who moderates the show. I asked him if there were any plans to bring back FanTV, which I told him was a great source of information for a Bills/Sabres fan who, at one time, lived out of town. He told me "definately not", and furthermore, at the end of this Sabres season, EMPIRE WILL BE NO MORE. The entire network will be completely disbanded, and the 2004-05 Sabres telecasts will be on a local cable channel. He furthermore went on to say that, one morning, back a couple months ago, everyone had a memo in their mailbox. The people who were told to be at the 9AM meeting, were all let go. The people who were told to attend the 11AM meeting were informed they would be kept on for about another year, until they finally went off the air.

Kind of sad.

Regrettably, Empire existed mearly to broadcast and support the Sabres. It had very little talent. Jim Brinson, Bob Trimble?? Others that were namely...on the radio side Zig? Rich Maloney?? Please. Howard Simon and Mike Schop made that station. The rest of it was crud. Bob Koshinski was the biggest joke when he was at Channel 7 and it continued at Empire.

TigerJ
09-29-2003, 09:59 PM
I don't suppose there will be anything to fill in the vacuum Empire will leave. Frankly, it's always been kind of a cheesy operation, but there have been times when I wanted local sports info and Empire was about the only place to find it.

Dozerdog
09-29-2003, 10:25 PM
It's a shame.

There really is enough local action (Sabres, 'Cuse, AHL, Int' League, as well as support shows for Bills and Blue Jays) for the area to have a regional sports net.

Hopefully an outfit can give it another run.

Historian
09-29-2003, 10:35 PM
I only mention it because as a former out of towner, It was one of the better places to get up to the minute team info, and to have shows dedicated strictly to the Buffalo teams.

Lets face it. Thousands of people left the WNY area in search of a substanitive career, however most are still rabid Bills, Sabres, Syracuse, etc...etc...fans. Its for them I feel bad.

helmetguy
09-29-2003, 10:35 PM
Just out of curiosity, is the impending demise of Empire more fallout from the Adelphia/Rigas fiasco?

Bufftp
09-29-2003, 10:39 PM
yes that is the cause of its demise.

Ebenezer
09-29-2003, 10:45 PM
I only mention it because as a former out of towner, It was one of the better places to get up to the minute team info, and to have shows dedicated strictly to the Buffalo teams.

Lets face it. Thousands of people left the WNY area in search of a substanitive career, however most are still rabid Bills, Sabres, Syracuse, etc...etc...fans. Its for them I feel bad.

I never denied that...it's just that the on air personalities sucked big time.

Historian
09-29-2003, 10:48 PM
Gotcha!

Earthquake Enyart
09-30-2003, 06:34 AM
I like Bob Trimble. :up:

Things are so bad now that I even miss Ginger. :wail:

Novacane
09-30-2003, 08:40 AM
Did he say if WNSA is going to?

R. Rich
09-30-2003, 08:58 AM

Yeah, it will suck not having the postgame show and the Simoncast anymore. I can still catch them on the internet, but it was nice to be able to put the postgame show on after taping the games. Too bad.

samhain1961
09-30-2003, 12:01 PM
Damn it!
Had I known that Mesi was going to be the guest, I'd have showed up.

When does the show air?