PDA

View Full Version : BF1's Coaches Challenge

LtBillsFan66
09-30-2003, 09:30 AM
Since many have demanded Gregg be fired either immediately or right after this season, I challenge you to come up with a viable alternate with some reasoning.

Forget about old retirees who will never come back like Levy and Joe Gibbs. Forget about coaches already taken or will never want to coach in Buffalo like Parcells and Gruden.

Forget about shouda, woulda, couldas like Marvin Lewis and John Fox.

Who will it by and why?

Ð
09-30-2003, 09:37 AM
I say whack GW (& Gilbride) over the next week or so & put in Lebeau as HC to ride out the year as an interim solution, the actively pursue a top-shelf HC in the off-season.

Doing it now would send a strong message from the FO that if you can't motivate yourself or others, then they don't want you around, period...that's the attiude that comes from the top down.

LtBillsFan66
09-30-2003, 09:39 AM
Ok D. You stepped up to the challenge. Good for you. Now answer me this.

What has Lebeau done? What was his record in Cincy?

What "top-shelf" HC?

I want answers from all the monday morning GMs!

LtBillsFan66
09-30-2003, 09:41 AM
"LeBeau tried to build around defense and running back Corey Dillon and the team went 12-33 (.267) in three seasons under him, the worst winning percentage by any of the eight coaches in team history."

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/CIN/6081218

THIS IS YOUR REPLACEMENT!?

LtBillsFan66
09-30-2003, 09:42 AM
Sorry D, you failed!

Next!

Ð
09-30-2003, 09:46 AM
Doesn't matter what Lebeau's done. He has HC experience and GW needs to be gone NOW, so he could fill the spot on an interim basis.

There are 31 other current HC's in the NFL that are better than GW, that we could pursue, not to mention the up and comers on the bubble of moving up to a HC position. To speculate who that would be at this point is just mental masturbation.

Dozerdog
09-30-2003, 09:47 AM
Tom Couglin-

Including playoffs, he averages nearly 10 wins per season, more than all but five of the 24 coaches who have 100 career wins (Don Shula, Joe Gibbs, George Seifert, John Madden and Vince Lombardi).

His 62 victories rank ninth among current NFL head coaches (the eight above him have all coached at least one more season).

His winning percentage of .553 is higher than all but nine active coaches

Under Coughlin, who is known as an offensive mastermind, the Jaguars have compiled an impressive list of statistical accomplishments. They have led the NFL in both passing yards (4,367 in 1996) and rushing yards (2,091 in 1999). In fact, in 1999, the Jaguars not only were No. 1 in rushing, but they had the league’s leading receiver, a feat that has only been accomplished by one other team in NFL history (the 1954 San Francisco 49ers).

He spent the 1984 and ’85 seasons as the wide receivers coach for the Philadelphia Eagles, and he was with the Green Bay Packers in 1986 and ’87 as the receivers coach. He served with the New York Giants from 1988 to ’90 as the receivers coach, contributing to the Super Bowl XXV victory over Buffalo in his last season with the Giants.

Coughlin’s arrival in Jacksonville followed three seasons (1991-93) as head coach at Boston College, where he turned a struggling football program into a Top 20 team. Posting a 21-13-1 record in three seasons, Coughlin capped his Boston College tenure with a 9-3 record in 1993 which included eight consecutive wins, a 41-39 defeat of No. 1-ranked Notre Dame and a victory over Virginia in the Carquest Bowl

In 1981 Coughlin went to Boston College for the first time, as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach under Jack Bicknell. He helped the Eagles win their first bowl bid in 40 years while coaching Doug Flutie, the 1984 Heisman Trophy winner. In 1983, Coughlin’s last season as a Boston College assistant coach, the team earned the Lambert-Meadowlands Trophy as Eastern Champion, the first won by the Eagles since 1942.

http://www.jaguars.com/Team/Bio/1480.asp

The more I read, the more I like.

Pride
09-30-2003, 09:48 AM
You will have to promote from within to finish out the season. No quality coach is going to take over a team midway through a season. It is a lose lose situation for him.

You have to fire the top guy, and bump someone up. Think about it, just like the Pres of the united states, if the pres goes down, the VP takes over, they dont hold an emergency election.

Lebeau was brought in and as the title ASSISTANT HEACH COACH. Nothing more needs to be said. If GW goes (which I dont think he will until after the season), then Lebeau is next in line. Depending on how he finishes out the season, he will either be permanently promoted, or a new coach will be hired in the offseason and the whole current staff will be gone.

Dozerdog
09-30-2003, 09:49 AM
Couglin will have the Bears, Arizona, Maybe New Orleans, and if the team fails to make the Playoffs, St Louis to chose from next season.

LtBillsFan66
09-30-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Tom Couglin-

Including playoffs, he averages nearly 10 wins per season, more than all but five of the 24 coaches who have 100 career wins (Don Shula, Joe Gibbs, George Seifert, John Madden and Vince Lombardi).

His 62 victories rank ninth among current NFL head coaches (the eight above him have all coached at least one more season).

His winning percentage of .553 is higher than all but nine active coaches

Under Coughlin, who is known as an offensive mastermind, the Jaguars have compiled an impressive list of statistical accomplishments. They have led the NFL in both passing yards (4,367 in 1996) and rushing yards (2,091 in 1999). In fact, in 1999, the Jaguars not only were No. 1 in rushing, but they had the league’s leading receiver, a feat that has only been accomplished by one other team in NFL history (the 1954 San Francisco 49ers).

He spent the 1984 and ’85 seasons as the wide receivers coach for the Philadelphia Eagles, and he was with the Green Bay Packers in 1986 and ’87 as the receivers coach. He served with the New York Giants from 1988 to ’90 as the receivers coach, contributing to the Super Bowl XXV victory over Buffalo in his last season with the Giants.

Coughlin’s arrival in Jacksonville followed three seasons (1991-93) as head coach at Boston College, where he turned a struggling football program into a Top 20 team. Posting a 21-13-1 record in three seasons, Coughlin capped his Boston College tenure with a 9-3 record in 1993 which included eight consecutive wins, a 41-39 defeat of No. 1-ranked Notre Dame and a victory over Virginia in the Carquest Bowl

In 1981 Coughlin went to Boston College for the first time, as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach under Jack Bicknell. He helped the Eagles win their first bowl bid in 40 years while coaching Doug Flutie, the 1984 Heisman Trophy winner. In 1983, Coughlin’s last season as a Boston College assistant coach, the team earned the Lambert-Meadowlands Trophy as Eastern Champion, the first won by the Eagles since 1942.

http://www.jaguars.com/Team/Bio/1480.asp

The more I read, the more I like.

I will accept this answer. :D

I'm not on the get Williams out of town bandwagon just yet. But out of all the half-baked ideas I've heard, Couglin is the only rational one.

LtBillsFan66
09-30-2003, 09:53 AM
Pride and D,

I'm not giving up on this season. For lack of a better term, do you want to salvage this season? Hope for the best?

If so, why would you want the losingest (is that a word?) in Bengals history (Bengals mind you) to take over?

LtBillsFan66
09-30-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Ð
Doesn't matter what Lebeau's done. He has HC experience and GW needs to be gone NOW, so he could fill the spot on an interim basis.

There are 31 other current HC's in the NFL that are better than GW, that we could pursue, not to mention the up and comers on the bubble of moving up to a HC position. To speculate who that would be at this point is just mental masturbation.

I bet all 31 coaches have better records. Not that record is the only thing to look at... What have all 31 done to be better?

Ð
09-30-2003, 09:58 AM
The operative word is interim. I'm not giving up on the season, I just don't see us going anywhere with GW, so why extend the pain ? If TD keeps him in there to finish out the season, we'll be calling for his head, too.

Dozerdog
09-30-2003, 10:01 AM
BTW- If for whatever reason we are stuck with Gilbride, Coughlin was his head coach when he was the Jag's OC in 1995-96- the second year team led the league in offense that year and went to the AFC Championship game

LtBillsFan66
09-30-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Ð
The operative word is interim. I'm not giving up on the season, I just don't see us going anywhere with GW, so why extend the pain ? If TD keeps him in there to finish out the season, we'll be calling for his head, too.

Extend the pain or inflict more by giving the nod to a bigger loser?

That option is out! It is the weakest link. Good bye. :D

LtBillsFan66
09-30-2003, 10:05 AM
BTW- If for whatever reason we are stuck with Gilbride, Coughlin was his head coach when he was the Jag's OC in 1995-96- the second year team led the league in offense that year and went to the AFC Championship game

Interesting. There is a nice tie there.

I think Coughlin would see that there is a greated chance of success with the Bills than with "Bears, Arizona, Maybe New Orleans, and if the team fails to make the Playoffs, St Louis to chose from next season."

Ð
09-30-2003, 10:10 AM
Hey, it may be the "weakest link" in your eyes, but it's the most likely scenario if TD decides to pull the trigger before the season's done.

justasportsfan
09-30-2003, 10:11 AM

In the end, Coughlin had the final say though. I'm sure he would've told Gilbride not to throw on 3 and 1 and stick w/ the run game. I doubt GW has complete control (mentally)over this team when it comes to running things.

Wade was/is a good D coord. and so was GW. They might be overwhelmed running an entire team compared to just the D.

Brian Griese Rulz
09-30-2003, 10:20 AM
Pete Carroll

Look what he's done with USC. I also liked him when he coached the Jets. He also has passion for the game and shows it. Its not his fault that the Jets teams sucked. He had no talent to work with.

LtBillsFan66
09-30-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Ð
Hey, it may be the "weakest link" in your eyes, but it's the most likely scenario if TD decides to pull the trigger before the season's done.

So why pull the trigger?

justasportsfan
09-30-2003, 10:22 AM
TD will offer the job to Cowher :yikes:

Ð
09-30-2003, 10:22 AM
Why extend the pain ?

LtBillsFan66
09-30-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Brian Griese Rulz
Pete Carroll

Look what he's done with USC. I also liked him when he coached the Jets. He also has passion for the game and shows it. Its not his fault that the Jets teams sucked. He had no talent to work with.

LMAO!!!!!!

He was a joke with the Jets.

NEXT!

Dozerdog
Originally posted by justasportsfan
In the end, Coughlin had the final say though. I'm sure he would've told Gilbride not to throw on 3 and 1 and stick w/ the run game. I doubt GW has complete control (mentally)over this team when it comes to running things.

Wade was/is a good D coord. and so was GW. They might be overwhelmed running an entire team compared to just the D.

Exactly- Gilbride isn't completely worthless- he can pick apart defenses with his passing schemes- he just needs a firm hand on when and wherer these plays are executed. And TC's gonna get those hogs to block, that's for sure.

LtBillsFan66
Originally posted by Ð
Why extend the pain ?

Why add more?

Novacane
09-30-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Brian Griese Rulz
Pete Carroll

HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why go from one bafoon to another?

EricStratton
09-30-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by billsfanone

LMAO!!!!!!

NEXT!

Nothing wrong with 6-10, is there?

Ð
09-30-2003, 10:28 AM
GW is gone, it's just a question of when. I'm a practical, pragmatic person. Like I said in my earlier post, if I were in TD's shoes, I would do it sooner before the finger starts pointing back to me. In my view, it's better to **** up taking decisive action than be seen as wishy-washy, or worse yet supporting wishy-washy GW.

Bulldog
09-30-2003, 10:30 AM
Couglin will have the Bears, Arizona, Maybe New Orleans, and if the team fails to make the Playoffs, St Louis to chose from next season.

Tom Caughlin is a native of Waterloo, NY and I am quite certain that he would jump at an opportunity to coach the Bills. Espically if the teams you mentioned were his options. I have met Tom Coughlin a couple of times and I can tell you first hand that this guy is intense!

Brian Griese Rulz
09-30-2003, 10:33 AM

What's your reasoning?

When you got no talent on your team and have the Bills dominating the AFC East in the late 80s early 90's of course your gonna look bad.

Novacane
09-30-2003, 10:33 AM
We have enough talent to win if Greeeggg would just stay out of the way. FIre Greg......Let Lebeau be the "head coach" on gameday with TD making the crucial calls like when to go for it on 4th etc from the Press box.

LtBillsFan66
09-30-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Ð
GW is gone, it's just a question of when. I'm a practical, pragmatic person. Like I said in my earlier post, if I were in TD's shoes, I would do it sooner before the finger starts pointing back to me. In my view, it's better to **** up taking decisive action than be seen as wishy-washy, or worse yet supporting wishy-washy GW.

You would not let the season play out? We can very likely be 5-2 heading into KC.

LtBillsFan66
09-30-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
We have enough talent to win if Greeeggg would just stay out of the way. FIre Greg......Let Lebeau be the "head coach" on gameday with TD making the crucial calls like when to go for it on 4th etc from the Press box.

TD calling plays? See, this is the type of irrational things I wanted to flush out by creating this thread.

Novacane
09-30-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Ð
GW is gone, it's just a question of when. .

What if he becomes a great coach overnight:lmao:

RedEyE
09-30-2003, 10:39 AM

Exactly- Gilbride isn't completely worthless- he can pick apart defenses with his passing schemes- he just needs a firm hand on when and wherer these plays are executed. And TC's gonna get those hogs to block, that's for sure.

Great point. I think that you're right on the money there Dozer. Gilbride needs to be held in check. Nothing has been corrected in 2 years of offensive play, nothing. Perhaps it's just because GW is a defensive coach, but it's almost as if he is intimidated by Gilbride. Or perhaps Gilbride has no respect for GW. Who the hell knows what goes on behind closed doors?

Personally, I think that Coughlin is a MF'er, but his coaching record backs up his motives. Additionaly, I firmly believe that discipline is the one of the key aspects missing from this Bills team. Coughlin will drop the hammer and raise the bar.

Novacane
09-30-2003, 10:39 AM

TD calling plays? See, this is the type of irrational things I wanted to flush out by creating this thread.

I did not say calling plays. I said decisions like should we go for it on 4th, punt, challenge ect. Greg has proven he has no grasp of this. He's an idiot an you continue to defend him. I don't know what you see in him?

Ð
09-30-2003, 10:41 AM
The season will "play out" no matter who's in charge, whether it be wishy, washy, sleepy, bashful or grumpy. The key is the message it sends, that poor performance will be dealt with decisively, and that comes from the top down.

justasportsfan
09-30-2003, 10:42 AM
Even if we make tha playoffs, does GW have it in him to win a big game? The fins game was a huge one for the bills and although, we lost , it was close and the problem was on the O (that's Gilbride) .

The eagles was the entire team folding (that's GW) .

Just like last year, it was the bengals game was an important game in deciding GW's fate. This bengals game will again show us where we're at.

We were hot for 2 games and the O was cold the last 2 games but the D was cold for just the eagles game. I guess we can discuss the coaching situation after the bengals game.

If we win, everyone will say, no big deal it's the bengals. If we lose, fire GW.

LtBillsFan66
09-30-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
I did not say calling plays. I said decisions like should we go for it on 4th, punt, challenge ect. Greg has proven he has no grasp of this. He's an idiot an you continue to defend him. I don't know what you see in him?

I don't like him. I'm only defending against garbage. Ok, fire him. BUT WHO SHOULD WE BRING IN?

LtBillsFan66
09-30-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Ð
The season will "play out" no matter who's in charge, whether it be wishy, washy, sleepy, bashful or grumpy. The key is the message it sends, that poor performance will be dealt with decisively, and that comes from the top down.

What about the first two games? What if (I'm playing what if here since it's so easy. You guys are masters at it.) we get back to the same level as we played in the first two games?

LtBillsFan66
09-30-2003, 10:59 AM
A GM making game decisions in the booth is ludicrous!

LtBillsFan66
09-30-2003, 11:00 AM
I would fully support Coughlin in here next season if we continue to falter. That's an if. I think we can still be contenders.

Ð
09-30-2003, 11:17 AM
That's a big if, BF1. From what I've seen, I don't think this team (under the present coaching staff) has it in them to get back to the level they played in the first two games.

Earthquake Enyart
09-30-2003, 11:25 AM
Coughlin lost control of his team in Jacksonville with his drill sergeant nonsense. Even GW saw the light after starting that way.

I agree with Dougie :couch:

If they can GW this year, LeBeau will be interim, then they hire the next HC in the off season.

Dozerdog
09-30-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Coughlin lost control of his team in Jacksonville with his drill sergeant nonsense. Even GW saw the light after starting that way.

I agree with Dougie :couch:

If they can GW this year, LeBeau will be interim, then they hire the next HC in the off season.

Hey- when his act gets old after 5 years of success, sure, let's replace him.

It's one thing if Barney fife wants to be your drill sergeant, it's another if you can back it up with more than pie charts. Bill Parcells, while I can't stand the guy, is a very successful "Drill Sergeant". He's from the Parcells mold.

Dozerdog
09-30-2003, 11:32 AM
...and it's not like people don't or won't play for him. he got plenty of high quality free agents to come to Jacksonville.

Mike Hollis got all offended by Coughlin- big whoop-de-whoop. The Salcap was Jacksonville's big problem, not Coughlin. Wayne Weaver still loves thr guy. It was just time to move on.

And this isn't the first ime I've touted Coughlin- I was on that bandwagon the minute Jax let him go last season

The Spaz
09-30-2003, 11:43 AM
I really am sick of retreads. I don't know any offhand but I would like to get a college guy with some new ideas on things.

Novacane
09-30-2003, 12:00 PM

I don't like him. I'm only defending against garbage. Ok, fire him. BUT WHO SHOULD WE BRING IN?

I don't know. As much as I hate him I'd say leave him as long as we are in the hunt. If we really start losing I say fire him, and get a head start on next year. I would not mind Coughlin.

DraftBoy
09-30-2003, 02:22 PM
Here is a few names to look at:
Pete Carrol-USC success
Monty Kiffin-TB D
Jim Haslett-Love his intensity too bad the NO gm doesnt know whats hes doing
Tom Coughlin-Great Coach
Bob Stoops-His name is always tossed around in NFL coach talk
Dennis Green-Great guy always has his players respect

just to name a few I would like to have here, and thats in order of how I would want them

Throne Logic
09-30-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Winfield_26
Here is a few names to look at:
Pete Carrol-USC success
Monty Kiffin-TB D
Jim Haslett-Love his intensity too bad the NO gm doesnt know whats hes doing
Tom Coughlin-Great Coach
Bob Stoops-His name is always tossed around in NFL coach talk
Dennis Green-Great guy always has his players respect

just to name a few I would like to have here, and thats in order of how I would want them

Pete Carroll - Couldn't get it going with the Jets. I never really got the impression that he was actually an NFL coach.
Monty Kiffin - Won't be available until after the Superbowl, most likely.
Jim Haslett- Not sold on Jim. He's had a lot of injuries to deal with over his tenure in NO, but they always seem to drop important games.
Tom Coughlin- Great success. Probably the leading candidate for HC this off-season. Does have a tendency to be a hard-ass. Works for young teams but tends to wear on the veterans.
Bob Stoops- Don't know much about him. But I'm wary of bringing in a newbie to be HC for this team. Rookie coaches take time to develop, just as players do. This team is approaching peak tallent now and should hit it by next season. Do we want to waste the current tallent on breaking in a rookie coach?
Dennis Green- Great guy. That's the problem. He'd be the perfect coach for a self motivated and disciplined veteran team. Unfortunately, the Bills are neither at this point. He'd be a bad fit for Buffalo.

Here's my take at least a major part of the problem. GW is the Head Coach. This wonderful staff he has under him is comprised of a number of former head coaches, including Dick, who's now an "Assistant Head Coach". All relatively unsuccessful coaches, I might add. I can just see the team meetings. I seriously doubt that GW has the iron hand with this staff. The players probably aren't completely sure who's in charge. They certainly don't seem to be responding to GW.

Firing the HC now would be a MAJOR distraction for the team, nevermind the general disruption in all aspects of the operational side of the franchise. You couldn't possibly bring in an outside guy at this point without everything going to hell. LeBeau would have to be the guy, if just to maintain some semblence of continuity. With that said, I'm not sold on LeBeau. However, he couldn't screw up more than GW has. It's looking more and more like GW is loosing control of his staff and the players. If, and only if that's the case, TD should pull the trigger and elevate LeBeau. I don't see any other viable options that could potentially salvage the season. If GW still has control and is just being a bonehead, then I feel we should ride out the season with him at the helm. But TD should at least give him a good strong talkin' too.:earpoke:

LtBillsFan66
09-30-2003, 03:17 PM
Great post throne.

I agree 100%.

Throne Logic
09-30-2003, 03:24 PM
I took time away from here to stew a bit. I'm done stewing and that's pretty much where I've settled. I sure would love to be the fly on TD's wall these days.

The_Philster
09-30-2003, 05:52 PM
A GM making game decisions in the booth is ludicrous!

The way GW is doing his job is ludicrous as well

DraftBoy
09-30-2003, 06:54 PM
I was talking about most of those coaches as replacement at the end of the season, no way would I fire GW right now or any time during the season.

Dozerdog
09-30-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Winfield_26
I was talking about most of those coaches as replacement at the end of the season, no way would I fire GW right now or any time during the season.

You would have to- no team will let go their waterboy let alone head coaches mid season.

Pete Carroll? Took over 2 talented NFL teams (Jets/Pats) and ran them into the ground.

Stoops ain't going anywhere.

Haslett has let the nuts run the asylum. That team has been a major dissapointment

Kiffen, Green and Coughlin are your top contenders. All 3 will will have jobs in '04. The top college contenders would be Saban at LSU, and what's his face at Ohio State

baalworship
09-30-2003, 07:33 PM
How about a candidate that was under 50 years old who:

A. Was an Assistant Head Coach in the NFL

B. Was Offensive Line Coach for 6 years in NFL, 9 years in college

D. Has Head Coaching experience at a major college program

E. AP Coach of the Year

F. Considered hot NFL prospect by NFL teams and insiders

His name is Kirk Ferentz. That's my choice.

What will an 11-win season, a share of the Big Ten championship and a berth in the Bowl Championship Series bring to a college coach that has National Football League coaching experience?

NFL head coaching offers, of course.

Not surprisingly, the deals poured in for Iowa’s Kirk Ferentz after the Hawkeyes finished one of the best seasons in school history. The Associated Press Coach of the Year received the most serious interest from the Jacksonville Jaguars, who wanted him to replace the departed Tom Coughlin.

Ferentz interviewed for the position and carefully weighed his options. But in the end, he knew he was happiest as a Hawkeye. “The attention I have received regarding an NFL head coaching position with the Jacksonville Jaguars has been flattering, especially because I have the utmost regard for Wayne Weaver and the entire Jacksonville organization. However, my heart continues to lie with The University of Iowa, and I will remain the head coach of the Hawkeye football team.”

Ferentz came to Iowa with a difficult assignment – to replace Hawkeye head coaching legend Hayden Fry, who had just retired as the school’s winningest coach following 20 years, 143 victories and three Big Ten titles in Iowa City.

Before serving as assistant head coach and offensive line coach of the Baltimore Ravens of the National Football League for six years, Ferentz spent nine years coaching the offensive line on Fry's Iowa staff. He coordinated the Hawkeyes’ running game during his first go-round in Iowa City and helped the team reach eight bowl games, including a pair of Rose Bowls.

Kirk Ferentz's commitment to Iowa should come as no surprise; growing up, he idolized Joe Paterno, who has been loyal to Penn State since 1950.
Photo: Coach Illustrated
His loyalty to the school should come as no surprise – Ferentz grew up idolizing one of the game’s greatest coaches: Penn State’s Joe Paterno, who has been a Happy Valley institution since 1950. Taking a cue from Paterno, Ferentz and his wife, Mary, recently pledged $100,000 to the University of Iowa Foundation to support the UI College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

The gift, which establishes the Kirk and Mary Ferentz Excellence and Innovation Fund, will help recognize and stimulate the development of innovative educational programming in the College of Liberal Arts.

Ferentz said his respect for Iowa’s high educational standards and its reputation for inventive approaches to education motivated him and his wife to donate the money. “Mary and I have always been impressed by the UI's tradition of distinctive, top-quality education," Ferentz said. "We see Iowa's educational excellence reflected in the student-athletes in the football program, and we wanted to find a way to help ensure that the university can maintain and improve upon that spirit of innovation. We are very pleased to help the college create the best possible experiences for UI students."

Looking ahead, Ferentz knows he’s got his team right where he wants it. "The thing I've held onto from the first day I got here is that Iowa is a great place," Ferentz says. "I've always known there's no reason we couldn't have success, and there's no reason we couldn't compete for a championship here. I always have great faith that if we have the right guys working hard in the right way, we'll have an opportunity to have good things happen again."

labillbacker
09-30-2003, 07:56 PM
2 words....Jimmy Johnson

The_Philster
09-30-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by labillbacker
2 words....Jimmy Johnson

2 words
Hell no!!
2 more words
He's scum!!

Novacane
09-30-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by labillbacker
2 words....Jimmy Johnson

Originally posted by The_Philster
2 words
Hell no!!
2 more words
He's scum!!

Amen to what Phil said!!!!!!!!

Why are you so sold on Johnson LA?

helmetguy
09-30-2003, 09:19 PM
If immediate change is the way to go, then Dick LeBeau is the obvious choice. So what that his Cincy teams sucked? Anyone in that job is basically trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. LeBeau was the creator of a very imposing "Blizburgh" defense that put GW's Titan D to shame. He has tons of NFL experience and, the best part is, we have him in house already. By canningGW and promoting LeBeau, there is still a semblance of continuity, in that the players are already familiar with him. Going outside the organization, at this point in the season, would definitely look like we're cashing it in. Promoting from within signals that there is still reason for high hopes.