X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LtBillsFan66
    • Jul 2002

BF1's Coaches Challenge

Since many have demanded Gregg be fired either immediately or right after this season, I challenge you to come up with a viable alternate with some reasoning.

Forget about old retirees who will never come back like Levy and Joe Gibbs. Forget about coaches already taken or will never want to coach in Buffalo like Parcells and Gruden.

Forget about shouda, woulda, couldas like Marvin Lewis and John Fox.

Who will it by and why?
  • Ð
    1-800-SAD-GOAT
    • Jul 2002

I say whack GW (& Gilbride) over the next week or so & put in Lebeau as HC to ride out the year as an interim solution, the actively pursue a top-shelf HC in the off-season.

Doing it now would send a strong message from the FO that if you can't motivate yourself or others, then they don't want you around, period...that's the attiude that comes from the top down.

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
      • Jul 2002

Ok D. You stepped up to the challenge. Good for you. Now answer me this.

What has Lebeau done? What was his record in Cincy?

What "top-shelf" HC?

I want answers from all the monday morning GMs!

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
        • Jul 2002

"LeBeau tried to build around defense and running back Corey Dillon and the team went 12-33 (.267) in three seasons under him, the worst winning percentage by any of the eight coaches in team history."

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

THIS IS YOUR REPLACEMENT!?

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
          • Jul 2002

Sorry D, you failed!

Next!

Comment

• Ð
            1-800-SAD-GOAT
            • Jul 2002

Doesn't matter what Lebeau's done. He has HC experience and GW needs to be gone NOW, so he could fill the spot on an interim basis.

There are 31 other current HC's in the NFL that are better than GW, that we could pursue, not to mention the up and comers on the bubble of moving up to a HC position. To speculate who that would be at this point is just mental masturbation.

Comment

• Dozerdog
              In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
              • Jul 2002

Tom Couglin-

Including playoffs, he averages nearly 10 wins per season, more than all but five of the 24 coaches who have 100 career wins (Don Shula, Joe Gibbs, George Seifert, John Madden and Vince Lombardi).

His 62 victories rank ninth among current NFL head coaches (the eight above him have all coached at least one more season).

His winning percentage of .553 is higher than all but nine active coaches

Under Coughlin, who is known as an offensive mastermind, the Jaguars have compiled an impressive list of statistical accomplishments. They have led the NFL in both passing yards (4,367 in 1996) and rushing yards (2,091 in 1999). In fact, in 1999, the Jaguars not only were No. 1 in rushing, but they had the league’s leading receiver, a feat that has only been accomplished by one other team in NFL history (the 1954 San Francisco 49ers).

He spent the 1984 and ’85 seasons as the wide receivers coach for the Philadelphia Eagles, and he was with the Green Bay Packers in 1986 and ’87 as the receivers coach. He served with the New York Giants from 1988 to ’90 as the receivers coach, contributing to the Super Bowl XXV victory over Buffalo in his last season with the Giants.

Coughlin’s arrival in Jacksonville followed three seasons (1991-93) as head coach at Boston College, where he turned a struggling football program into a Top 20 team. Posting a 21-13-1 record in three seasons, Coughlin capped his Boston College tenure with a 9-3 record in 1993 which included eight consecutive wins, a 41-39 defeat of No. 1-ranked Notre Dame and a victory over Virginia in the Carquest Bowl

In 1981 Coughlin went to Boston College for the first time, as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach under Jack Bicknell. He helped the Eagles win their first bowl bid in 40 years while coaching Doug Flutie, the 1984 Heisman Trophy winner. In 1983, Coughlin’s last season as a Boston College assistant coach, the team earned the Lambert-Meadowlands Trophy as Eastern Champion, the first won by the Eagles since 1942.

The more I read, the more I like.

Comment

• Pride
                • Jul 2002

You will have to promote from within to finish out the season. No quality coach is going to take over a team midway through a season. It is a lose lose situation for him.

You have to fire the top guy, and bump someone up. Think about it, just like the Pres of the united states, if the pres goes down, the VP takes over, they dont hold an emergency election.

Lebeau was brought in and as the title ASSISTANT HEACH COACH. Nothing more needs to be said. If GW goes (which I dont think he will until after the season), then Lebeau is next in line. Depending on how he finishes out the season, he will either be permanently promoted, or a new coach will be hired in the offseason and the whole current staff will be gone.

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                  • Jul 2002

Couglin will have the Bears, Arizona, Maybe New Orleans, and if the team fails to make the Playoffs, St Louis to chose from next season.

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                    Tom Couglin-

Including playoffs, he averages nearly 10 wins per season, more than all but five of the 24 coaches who have 100 career wins (Don Shula, Joe Gibbs, George Seifert, John Madden and Vince Lombardi).

His 62 victories rank ninth among current NFL head coaches (the eight above him have all coached at least one more season).

His winning percentage of .553 is higher than all but nine active coaches

Under Coughlin, who is known as an offensive mastermind, the Jaguars have compiled an impressive list of statistical accomplishments. They have led the NFL in both passing yards (4,367 in 1996) and rushing yards (2,091 in 1999). In fact, in 1999, the Jaguars not only were No. 1 in rushing, but they had the league’s leading receiver, a feat that has only been accomplished by one other team in NFL history (the 1954 San Francisco 49ers).

He spent the 1984 and ’85 seasons as the wide receivers coach for the Philadelphia Eagles, and he was with the Green Bay Packers in 1986 and ’87 as the receivers coach. He served with the New York Giants from 1988 to ’90 as the receivers coach, contributing to the Super Bowl XXV victory over Buffalo in his last season with the Giants.

Coughlin’s arrival in Jacksonville followed three seasons (1991-93) as head coach at Boston College, where he turned a struggling football program into a Top 20 team. Posting a 21-13-1 record in three seasons, Coughlin capped his Boston College tenure with a 9-3 record in 1993 which included eight consecutive wins, a 41-39 defeat of No. 1-ranked Notre Dame and a victory over Virginia in the Carquest Bowl

In 1981 Coughlin went to Boston College for the first time, as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach under Jack Bicknell. He helped the Eagles win their first bowl bid in 40 years while coaching Doug Flutie, the 1984 Heisman Trophy winner. In 1983, Coughlin’s last season as a Boston College assistant coach, the team earned the Lambert-Meadowlands Trophy as Eastern Champion, the first won by the Eagles since 1942.

The more I read, the more I like.
                    I will accept this answer.

I'm not on the get Williams out of town bandwagon just yet. But out of all the half-baked ideas I've heard, Couglin is the only rational one.

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                      • Jul 2002

Pride and D,

I'm not giving up on this season. For lack of a better term, do you want to salvage this season? Hope for the best?

If so, why would you want the losingest (is that a word?) in Bengals history (Bengals mind you) to take over?

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ð
                        Doesn't matter what Lebeau's done. He has HC experience and GW needs to be gone NOW, so he could fill the spot on an interim basis.

There are 31 other current HC's in the NFL that are better than GW, that we could pursue, not to mention the up and comers on the bubble of moving up to a HC position. To speculate who that would be at this point is just mental masturbation.
                        I bet all 31 coaches have better records. Not that record is the only thing to look at... What have all 31 done to be better?

Comment

• Ð
                          1-800-SAD-GOAT
                          • Jul 2002

The operative word is interim. I'm not giving up on the season, I just don't see us going anywhere with GW, so why extend the pain ? If TD keeps him in there to finish out the season, we'll be calling for his head, too.

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                            • Jul 2002

BTW- If for whatever reason we are stuck with Gilbride, Coughlin was his head coach when he was the Jag's OC in 1995-96- the second year team led the league in offense that year and went to the AFC Championship game

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ð
                              The operative word is interim. I'm not giving up on the season, I just don't see us going anywhere with GW, so why extend the pain ? If TD keeps him in there to finish out the season, we'll be calling for his head, too.
                              Extend the pain or inflict more by giving the nod to a bigger loser?

That option is out! It is the weakest link. Good bye.

Comment

Working...
                              X