PDA

View Full Version : The 3rd Down Defense

R. Rich
09-30-2003, 11:48 AM
What are your thoughts on what should be done to fix this? Would it be better to keep Williams and Adams out there on third downs when the distance is short (they tend to keep them out in those situations for some reason)? Should we blitz more with our LBs and safeties? How would you address this problem?

The Spaz
09-30-2003, 11:51 AM
I am just sick of seeing our CB'se 7-8 yards off the damn receiver any damn Qb can see that and change the route to a short one. That ***** pisses me the f-off!!

R. Rich
09-30-2003, 12:02 PM
I hear ya. Only thing I can guess is that they're afraid of being beat for a big play. Well, unless the pass rush improves, we're still going to get beat for big plays by QBs that have all day to throw the ball.

NoRing4U
09-30-2003, 12:04 PM
How many plays does Adams even average during a game? Like 20?

BillsNick
09-30-2003, 12:04 PM
I was screamin about that crap at the game, I totally agree with ya spaz!!!

Novacane
09-30-2003, 12:06 PM
If they continue to not be able to get pressure with our D-line they are going to have to start blitzing more. We can't continue to let QB's sit back there or the 3rd down BS will continue.

R. Rich
09-30-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
If they continue to not be able to get pressure with our D-line they are going to have to start blitzing more. We can't continue to let QB's sit back there or the 3rd down BS will continue.

The only problem I see with that FtG is that we're not very deep in the secondary, and if we start blitzing more frequently, we may end up with some unfavorable matchups and come out on the losing end of them. But, they need to do something!

stuckincincy
09-30-2003, 02:35 PM
Well, I'd greatly cut down on this so-called "situational" personnel substitution on the DL and LB corps. I understand it if the opposition brigs in 4 wr's but if your DEF was good enuf to hold 'em for down 1 and 2 what makes coaches think they can't do it on down #3? :pound:

colin
09-30-2003, 03:20 PM
Our problem on 3rd downs is we are predictable, opponents always seem to be able to get the match up they want, our 3rd DB on their best WR, or know where our gap is gonna be in our D.

I think we need to be less predictable, which we were when we were in the lead in games.

Throne Logic
09-30-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by stuckincincy
Well, I'd greatly cut down on this so-called "situational" personnel substitution on the DL and LB corps. I understand it if the opposition brigs in 4 wr's but if your DEF was good enuf to hold 'em for down 1 and 2 what makes coaches think they can't do it on down #3? :pound:

Hammer upon nail.

I don't understand it either. These days, any down can be a passing down. Conversely, any 3rd down under 10 yards can be a run. There are many times where teams will run on 3rd just because we change over to pass cover personnel. Philly and Miami controlled the game by converting on those 3rd downs, knowing exactly where the vulnerabilities are in our "cover D". We take out half our stars to put in the "cover team".

Stick with what works. Putting on a 3 man rush on 3rd and 7-ish?!?!? That really annoyed me in the Philly game. You need to pressure the passer.

I'd vote for keeping the same 4-3 base in and blitz someone from a disguised position. If the blitzer gets through the line, then there will not be enough time to complete a pass long enough to convert on 3rd and long.

helmetguy
09-30-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by R. Rich
I hear ya. Only thing I can guess is that they're afraid of being beat for a big play. Well, unless the pass rush improves, we're still going to get beat for big plays by QBs that have all day to throw the ball.

Those coverages are sent in from the sidelines. Last week, they were getting beat playing press because they had to turn and follow the receiver; turning their backs to the QB. Those resulted in either McNabb pulling the ball down and running, or throwing the little fade passes.