• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

B'gals DEF - No Mo Blitz

My decrepit observations on Bengals D after 4 wks:

DL: Picked up DT John Thornton from TEN. also Carl Powell and Duane Cleamons from where I don't know. They are getting in general good pressure. DT Oliver Gibson takes a good number of snaps. He takes too many offside and personal fouls, but rushes the passer from the DT spot with vigor.
    The DL seems good enuf to reduce blitzing a good deal.
    RE Justin Smith rounds out the DL...largly an outside move guy coming off 8-sack rookie campaign, but has real good wheels and recovers quite quickly. He's pretty good against runs east to west.

Reserve Glenn Steele is a guy I'd like to see the Bills pick up. Mark Pike - Phil Hansen moxie.

I give 'em a C grade because while getting good QB pressure from front 4 they got toasted by Portis and Zeroue/Bettis.

LB: Picked up Kevin Hady from DAL; put'em at MLB and moved Brian Simons to RLB. Ardrian Ross is at LLB; G*d help'em if injuries occur...no depth there. I give 'em a B for staying at home.

They haven't blitz much to date - new coach Lewis kinda keeps 'em at home to protect the weak secondary.

DB - FA cornerback Tory James from OAK is doing a pretty good job. CB's Jeff Burris and nicklel Artrell Hawkins less so. Burris has had a chronic problem with migraine headaches -raw deal there. 3rd year player SS Marquand Manual is not much of a run stop threat so far, but beat out 2002 #2 pick Lamont Tompson, who was a final cut.. Got banged up vs PGH. FS Mark Roman in his 3rd year is no a bad pass defender. Combo CB/SS Kevin Kaesviharn is very much in the Coy Wire/Matt Stevens mold. He also plays a lot of ST. FA pick-up SS Rodgers Bennett a gamer... Overall IMHO D+ grade.

ST's: They cut K Neil Rackers (injury) and brought in former Bill Shayne Graham . So far so good for 'em. Punter Nick Harris has kicked too many line drives so far...very lucky that CLE's Northcutt didn't get a big one last week. Poor net yardage, but kicked several over the 4 games into EZ ending with 25 -30 yd nets. A definite prob area for them.

On the KR game, Brandon Bennett (likeky starter on off since Dillon's out) had a very good 2002. But he almost always keeps his returns between the hash marks...and suffered 1 helmet fum and coulda had a few more fums. Needs to tuck it in better.

PR: Warrick is the main pr return man this year. Was benched last year 'cause of fums and poor (see Charlie Rodgers) decisions inside the 15. But watch out. If he goes lateral - which he usually tries to do if possible - and has any kind of blocking wall he WILL be a handfull.

Marvin Lewis has made a defensive diff.
    Different squad, 24 players from 2002 are gone.

My pick: Buf 20 Cin 17. Three td's for Bills but the joined-at-hip idiots GW/KG try a 2-pointer.

Tuesday morning (9/30/03) line in the Cincinnati Enquirer n'paper was Buf minus 8. Eight? I can understand the favoring for Buf at home but 8!!!!! Bookies trolling for suckers IMHO.

Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.
  • venis2k1
    Youboty can hope
    • Jul 2002

It wont be close, esp without Dillon, I see Blowout and a huge day for TKO.

Comment

• BillsMan80
      Tapit: All the Way to the Derby
      • Jul 2002

I can't see that line that high. In fact, I think Cincy has a legit chance to win this game, as much as it pains me to say it. This is a very scary game right now.
      The NTRA...GO BABY GO!!!!!!!
      THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT WILLIS!!!!!!!!!!! Touchdown Wills McGahee!!!!!

Comment

• venis2k1
        Youboty can hope
        • Jul 2002

am i the only one that think we are a Super Bowl caliber team?

Comment

• TedMock
          • Jul 2002

SuperBowl talent but not caliber. We should be shooting .357 but instead we're .22's. There's no swagger like before. Just because you lose a game doesn't mean you lose your swagger. They have to fight that off or we're screwed.

Comment

Working...
          X