PDA

View Full Version : Calm down Bills fans...

rsmithgi
09-30-2003, 04:12 PM
the Bills are going to be fine. They will be a good team this year. Still should finish 9-7 or 10-6. They just are not as good a team as all the hype at the beginning of the year. They still have weaknesses on the O-line, defensive end, and safety.

All the superbowl nonsense has made expectations unrealistic. I live in Buffalo and could not believe the junk I heard during preseason. Donahoe has made many moves the last two years. You cannot expect all of them to work perfectly.

Good Moves:
Bledsoe
Spikes
Fletcher
Milloy
Schobel

Bad Moves:
Chidi Ahanotu
Marcus Jones
Ryan Denney
Keith McKenzie

Questions (not determined yet):
Mike Williams
Sam Adams
Jeff Posey
Willis McGahee
Chris Kelsay
Josh Reed
Bobby Shaw

HenryRules
09-30-2003, 04:35 PM
What was wrong with Chidi? I thought he was a solid pickup considering our options at the time.

Larry Centers was a good move, but he's not in the list.

Travis Henry has done more than Schobel, yet he does not make the list.

I think you're too quick to judge on a few of the moves - Spikes and Milloy. They've only played 4 games out of contracts for 3+ years. Really, how much more have they done than Adams - all 3 are TBD IMO

rsmithgi
10-01-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by HenryRules
What was wrong with Chidi? I thought he was a solid pickup considering our options at the time.

Larry Centers was a good move, but he's not in the list.

Travis Henry has done more than Schobel, yet he does not make the list.

I think you're too quick to judge on a few of the moves - Spikes and Milloy. They've only played 4 games out of contracts for 3+ years. Really, how much more have they done than Adams - all 3 are TBD IMO

Chidi was a starting DE on a very bad D Line. He was let go because he wasn't good enough. I think the Bills expected more from him. They couldn't have thought Centers was too good, he's not here anymore.

I like Henry also. It wasn't meant to be an all inclusive list. I just considered Spikes and Milloy pretty much givens on how they will turn out.

The questions mark players are just some that I think the Bills are really counting on. The local media seems to think all of Donahoe's moves are guaranteed to work perfectly. They toss around the genius label regularly.

I think the biggest blunder will end up being Mike Williams. Not because he will be a bad RT, but because they passed on McKinnie and selected Williams with the 4th overall pick.

TheGhostofJimKelly
10-01-2003, 08:31 AM
You listen to the radio too much.

TedMock
10-01-2003, 08:42 AM
I think Mike Williams will be fine....he is streaky though. The one guy I've been watching closely because I wasn't sure about the pick up is Posey. I think he's playing very well. He's not getting the stats but he's been turning plays around all year and holds his ground well, unlike Newman. I've been impressed with him so far. Denney just doesn't seem to have it. I know he's only in his second year and sometimes it takes DL a little longer but it's tough watching.

casdhf
10-01-2003, 08:43 AM
if we can get a descent guard next to Williams, you'll see how good he is.

I also think adams has proven to be a good move.

SABURZFAN
10-01-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
You listen to the radio too much.

the sun-sentinel probably doesn't help either.

SABURZFAN
10-01-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by rsmithgi

Chidi was a starting DE on a very bad D Line.

it's obvious that you forget that we were in Cap Hell too.when we had $30+ million in Dead Cap Space in the last 2 years,chidi wasn't a bad choice for the money that the BILLS paid him.

rsmithgi
10-01-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN

the sun-sentinel probably doesn't help either.

What does the sun-sentinel have to do with WGR, WNSA, and The Buffalo News labeling Donahoe a genius?

SABURZFAN
10-01-2003, 09:38 AM

What does the sun-sentinel have to do with WGR, WNSA, and The Buffalo News labeling Donahoe a genius?

nothing.

your posts sounds like something that i would read from there.

HenryRules
10-01-2003, 09:38 AM

Chidi was a starting DE on a very bad D Line. He was let go because he wasn't good enough. I think the Bills expected more from him. They couldn't have thought Centers was too good, he's not here anymore.

I like Henry also. It wasn't meant to be an all inclusive list. I just considered Spikes and Milloy pretty much givens on how they will turn out.

The questions mark players are just some that I think the Bills are really counting on. The local media seems to think all of Donahoe's moves are guaranteed to work perfectly. They toss around the genius label regularly.

I think the biggest blunder will end up being Mike Williams. Not because he will be a bad RT, but because they passed on McKinnie and selected Williams with the 4th overall pick.

Bruce Smith isn't on the team anymore either and is still playing, was he a bad pickup? (I know he wasn't TD, I'm making the point that bc we cut a player, it doesn't necessarily mean he didn't contribute while he was around).

LC was initially signed for one season and then they re-signed him. He performed well while he was here and fit in perfectly with our offense his first year (I think he lead our team in receptions). I really don't see how that qualifies as a bad pickup.

rsmithgi
10-01-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by HenryRules

Bruce Smith isn't on the team anymore either and is still playing, was he a bad pickup? (I know he wasn't TD, I'm making the point that bc we cut a player, it doesn't necessarily mean he didn't contribute while he was around).

Bruce was here just a few more years than Chidi and performed just a bit better.

Chidi was the weaker DE on a very bad line. How could he have possibly been a good contributor? He wasn't cut for $ reasons. He was not good enough. He was replaced by players who are either:

1) inactive (McKenzie)
2) not on the team (Jones)
3) on the bench (Kelsay)
4) playing poorly (Denney)

HenryRules
10-01-2003, 12:01 PM

Bruce was here just a few more years than Chidi and performed just a bit better.

Chidi was the weaker DE on a very bad line. How could he have possibly been a good contributor? He wasn't cut for $ reasons. He was not good enough. He was replaced by players who are either:

1) inactive (McKenzie)
2) not on the team (Jones)
3) on the bench (Kelsay)
4) playing poorly (Denney)

My whole message was about your discounting LC's contributions, not Chidi. I brought up Bruce Smith to say that just because a player is cut, it does not mean he did not contribute during his time here - there a multitude of reasons that a player can be cut.

As far as Chidi, you're right, he wasn't a good DE and the people we replaced him with aren't doing that well this year. However, who were our other options last year when we had no cap money? Hmm ...
Denney (who played worse)
Irons (not on the team)
... I can't remember who else was available at the time.

My point is, we signed Chidi to one-year contract for the vet. min (or damned close to it). For that sort of commitment, there was no one else that could have done a better job. He was not signed as a saviour, simply as a stop-gap measure, and you haven't convinced me (nor even addressed the fact) that he was not good as a stop-gap measure.