PDA

View Full Version : Dany Heatley injured in car accident

Sabre Ally
09-30-2003, 04:12 PM
September 30, 2003

ATLANTA (Reuters) - Atlanta Thrashers hockey star Dany Heatley and a teammate were seriously injured late Monday night in a car wreck in Atlanta's fashionable Buckhead district, according to police.

Heatley, 22, lost control of his black Ferrari automobile at around 10:30 p.m. EDT (0230 GMT) and crashed into a brick and concrete pillar, according to Sgt. John Quigley, a spokesman for the Atlanta Police Department

Full Story (http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/030930/5/uvve.html)

Dozerdog
09-30-2003, 04:14 PM
Yikes! That's terrible!

Dozerdog
09-30-2003, 04:16 PM
OK, Fess up- next thing you did was put him on your exclude list

Sabre Ally
09-30-2003, 04:17 PM
Nope, haven't gotten that far yet. I'm too busy being pissed that he has (had) a Ferrari and I can't even pay my rent. :angry:

Dozerdog
09-30-2003, 04:18 PM
a...Registered Ferrarri

Ð
09-30-2003, 06:11 PM
When I lived in London, Ontario 5-6 yrs ago, Snyder played in the OHL Western Division with the Owen Sound Platers.

He was a one-man wrecking crew against the London Knights in the playoffs...I'd rank him right up there with the best Junior players I've ever had the pleasure of seeing play, including Joe Thornton & Eric Lindros.

Myers57
09-30-2003, 07:17 PM
Sad news, I was really looking forward to adding him to my fantasy hockey team...

SABURZFAN
09-30-2003, 07:24 PM
that's unfortunate.

Fennernen
09-30-2003, 08:08 PM
I admit it, as soon as I heard the news, I put him on the exclude list... what can I say? I love fantasy hockey!

Smukdaddy18
09-30-2003, 09:54 PM
Heatley only has a broken jaw........dont count him out, or you will lose big time.

SkateZilla
09-30-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Smukdaddy18
Heatley only has a broken jaw........dont count him out, or you will lose big time.

Yeah, But he Has Pending Wreckless Driving Charges and If His Teammate Doesnt Make it He'll Have 2nd or 1st Degree Murder Chagres, this is Exactly why Amatuers Should be able to buy a Ferarri without at least some sort of Street racing License,

When behind the wheel of A Ferrari or racing Modded Car the Driver If an Amatuer tends to wanna show off if he's not as responsible.

dany was no doubt showing it off, how else do you go 80 Mph and Lose Control in a Ferarri!!! i mean An Street racer goes at least 140Mph !!!

that or Something else was appart of it and they dont wanna tell us.. like maybe Heatley was run off the road by someone(s).

Ebenezer
09-30-2003, 10:16 PM
the obvious questions will be asked...was alcohol involved??

Rhett4NHL
09-30-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
the obvious questions will be asked...was alcohol involved??

From what I've heard, there was no alcohol at the event that they were at. But still, he faces some pretty brutal charges. Being a hockey player, he will walk from some of them (most really) but his season is shot IMO.

It's unfortunate things like this have to happen.

pyrrhonist
10-01-2003, 12:40 AM
This is terrible news. I saw the story run on ESPNEWS prior to my leaving for work this morning @ 6:30a. I feel the worst for Snyder. I just hope he makes it. I know Dany didn't intend to have this happen, but he needed to be more responsible, especially what with all the comments he's stated lately about becoming a leader. My wife and I had planned on seeing the Thrashers visit San Jose this season (in January), and seeing Dany play live was a big part of that decision we made to buy the tix. Sadly, I don't think he'll be there in January.

Get well, Dan Snyder.

SkateZilla
10-01-2003, 01:19 AM
I Honestly think there's a cover up going on...

It Looked More like his Black Ferarri was Run off the Road.
I Mean Im No Expert FBI Guy But I Have Seen High Speed Collisions In Street Races (1 Into a Light Pole and One into a Steel Building)
and the Ferarri Pics the New has been Posting Look nothing like a Intentional Collision,

1. If He ran Right into the Brick wall.. how come in Earlier Photo's (before they tore the car apart to investigate) the Right Side Door Had the Paint about 60% of the Way Rubbed off revealing raw Metal and the Door was Dented/mangled in a 90 Degree angle from the Actual Angle teh car hit the Wall,

2. No Idiot would drive into it intentionally, and 70 Mph on a High Way,.... lol.. i do it everyday...

3. ESPN.com "Heatley's Ferrari disintegrated in the crash.
" Look at that Photo, Thats Utter Bull****, I have seen a Mitsibishi Eclipse (weaker structure car) hit A Wall at 145 Mph. And it didnt "Disintegrate" infact the front end was replaced and teh frame was repaired and it was racing 3 weeks later. That Pic looks Like the Ferarri was Broadsided (ripping off the right side door, and Possible explanation why snyder was injured worse.) and then after it hit the wall it looked as if someone hit the back end or was tailgating to cause the back end to Go else where apon wall impact (and Last time i Checked on 50+ MPH if someone rubs your rear bumper your car WILL Start swerving due to adverse Aero Dynamic Effects and the Abnormal Force from the Rear),,

that Ferarri in the Picture is Rear Engine, Rear Wheel Drive Train,

So A rear Wheel Blow Out at 50Mph (direct cause form maybe a bump in the Road) Can Cause the Car to Shift direction Quickly and have limited Steering afterwards.

4. In all Photo's Both Airbags Had Fired Correctly, yet Snyder is Still in Critical Condition, I understand Iarbags arent exactly soft, having been in one collsion accident before, a broken Jaw does sound like a Result of Face first into the Airbag at 60+ Mph.

5. Granted its still Wrong to Drive 80 MPH, but i Dont Believe For 1 Second that some Cop Followed Him for 12 Minutes at 80 MPH till he Hit a wall without Pulling him over for speeding of endangerment.

6. Everyone thinks Heatley Isnt hurt other than his Jaw.. Guess What .. Heatley also has a minor concussion, a contusion on his lung and a bruised kidney, according to the team's physician, Dr. Scott Gillogly (source ESPN)

7. "Heatley and Snyder attended an event for season ticketholders at Philips Arena on Monday night, and left in Heatley's Ferrari about 9:15 p.m., the team said. Iosty said Heatley lost control of the car on a curve on a two-lane road in Atlanta's Buckhead neighborhood about 10:30 p.m., and the vehicle crossed into the other lane, left the road and struck a wall in front of an apartment complex. "
If they were going 70-80+ MpH he would have passes the named "nighboorhood at around 10 Pm not 10:30 (Hmmm) , Like I said before how do they Know what happened? Was there a Cop Foloowing them the entire Time, Maybe Heatley Swerved to Avoid Running over a cow, deer, or a black cat, a Ferarri wont just Oversteer and Slide Unless you DownShift from 5th Gear to 3rd which you'd blow out the TransMission and possibly the engine.

Like i said i have osme more points i'd like to ask the investagotors in charge :)

also If they wanted to be asses they can charge both heatley and snyder for not wearing their seatbelts. (Which is a National Law, and they apparently werent cuz a photo on MSNBC showed the car from a forward view and heatley's seat belt were intact on the side of the seat .. Hmmmmmm.. While Snyders was destroyed and laying outside the car on the road, Hmm They seem so secure inthose Factory commercials when the crash dummies drive into the walls.. not to mention the Belts on the Eclipse that ran into the wall At 145 MPH didnt break..

Smukdaddy18
10-01-2003, 01:47 PM
I think the front ends of ferrari's are fiberglass

Where are the pics of the car?

Dozerdog
10-01-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by SkateZilla
I Honestly think there's a cover up going on...

:rofl:

Why?

Ask yourself, why would anybody want to cover anything up?

That makes absolutely zero sense.

Smukdaddy18
10-01-2003, 02:15 PM
Atlanta Thrasher Dany Heatley, hospitalized for injuries received after crashing his Ferrari Monday night in Buckhead, is in police custody, Atlanta police said this afternoon.
Atlanta Police Department Sgt. John Quigley said Heatley, an All-Star player with the hockey team, will remain in the corrections portion of Grady Memorial Hospital under police custody until he is physically able to be moved to the city jail for formal processing on multiple charges.

Heatley is scheduled to be in traffic court Oct. 10 to face charges of reckless driving, serious injury by vehicle, driving too fast for conditions, driving on the wrong side of the road and striking a fixed object, according to a police report.

The medical conditions of Heatley, 22, and teammate Dan Synder, 25, remained unchanged Wednesday afternoon. Snyder, a backup center for the Thrashers, was in critical condition after Heatley lost control of the car and slammed into a brick pillar and iron fence outside a Buckhead condominium. Heatley remained in stable condition Wednesday afternoon.

Ð
10-01-2003, 02:20 PM
Isn't Sanjay Gupta the guy who does medical bits on CNN ?

Dozerdog
10-01-2003, 02:21 PM
Hey Smuckdaddy- have a link ?

Ð
10-05-2003, 10:40 PM
Snyder died tonight :(

pyrrhonist
10-05-2003, 10:58 PM
+

A sad day. I had really thought all the news in the last few days was a good sign. It's really a shame that this whole incident had to take place. For as bright as Dany's hockey future may be/have been, he should do some time for this.

My thoughts are with Dan's family and friends.

BironsGirl43
10-05-2003, 10:58 PM
That's very upsetting..

I am so very sorry to hear that

My condolences go out to his family..

Ð
10-05-2003, 11:02 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=56305

pyrrhonist
10-05-2003, 11:04 PM
Atlanta's official website has a statement, as well:

Thrashers Mourn passing of Snyder

We are deeply saddened by the tragic loss of Dan Snyder. Dan was a teammate and friend to all of us. We feel a tremendous amount of pain as an organization and extend our deepest sympathies to his family.

I plan on taking a sign to the Sharks/Thrashers game in San Josè in January, in memory of Dan. It was a game my wife and I picked to go to in the preseason, due to wanting to see a promising young Atlanta team (The wife is a Sharks fan).

yle
10-06-2003, 09:08 AM
I thought I heard the other day that Heatley also found out he needs surgery on his ACL and MCL. Based on that alone, he won't play this year. I'll try to find a link.

yle
10-06-2003, 09:10 AM
Here is the story. (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/2415/news)

Oct 4 Adding to Atlanta Thrashers star Dany Heatley's woes comes the news that an MRI on Friday shows he has completely torn his right ACL and MCL and also has a torn lateral meniscus. Still facing charges from last week's car accident that left teammate Dan Snyder critically injured, Heatley will undergo surgery on his knee sometime in the next seven to 10 days and was scheduled to have surgery on his broken jaw on Saturday.

SkateZilla
10-06-2003, 11:19 AM
His Future is Trashed,

He's Gonna Do time for Snyder

pyrrhonist
10-06-2003, 02:54 PM
I am still having a hard time believing this, even 1 day later. It's a huge tragedy.

ILiveInHSBCArena
10-06-2003, 05:25 PM
Wow....

It's so hard to think the tooth-less Heatley could possibly be doing time for something so stupid, and avoidable.

My heart goes out to the whole Snyder family...