PDA

View Full Version : Good Bob Matthews column today...

WG
07-21-2002, 10:06 AM
I agree w/ Bob that "Until the Bills improve markedly in rushing the passer and stopping the run, they aren't going to pull off any miracles."

"Making the postseason is a possibility in a competitive division lacking a powerhouse team, but a more reasonable goal is to be the NFL's most entertaining non-playoff team."

As he says, out O is gonna carry the team this year for the first time in over a decade.

WG
07-21-2002, 10:08 AM
Rushing the passer and stopping the run are staples on D. Since we haven't proven we can do either, even if a couple of guys step up and we have no key injuries, gelling and having those guys play well enough to make a significant difference and impact is going to take half the season perhaps. It's unlikely that they'd be anything other than nominal beginning with the first few games.

Buffarama
07-21-2002, 06:38 PM
I've had to read this Rochester newspaper for the past 20 years and it sucks. Mathews sucks. There is never any insightful information in it. Everything is a box score or picked up off a wire.
As for Mathews, he's such a literary lightwight anything he says is pretty meaningless.
In fact, I haven't read the sport section here or any other part of this yellow press publication in the last 7 years.
While the Buffalo News isn't what it used to be, quoting anything from the D&C is like water off a ducks back for me.

WG
07-21-2002, 06:59 PM
So you think we'll be highly successful as a team then if we don't improve last year from stopping the run and rushing the passer to apply pressure?

John Doe
07-21-2002, 07:31 PM
You don't prove that you can rush the passer and stop the run until you do it. Getting free agent D-line help won't prove it either. At this point in the pre-season, the odds of us improving in these areas are 50/50 - either we will or we won't.

Halbert
07-21-2002, 08:27 PM
Oh we'll improve, by a lot in fact, but we still might not make the top half in terms of stopping the run. If we do then we stand a good chance of challenging the division because with the offense getting leads we can rely on our speed to get pressure on. But if the run D breaks down we're a sight away from even a wild card.

Buffarama
07-21-2002, 08:32 PM
I wasn't talking about the content, or slamming Wys, don't get me wrong. I could have picked my spot better. It's a sore subject with me. The Roch D&C has nothing to offer. I'll shut up about that now, and adhere to the subject at hand.

Shiny Chicken
07-21-2002, 10:10 PM
Neuther do most papers in this country... the few good papers are pretty much only found in the 10 largest cities or so in the US...

BillsNYC
07-21-2002, 10:16 PM
i agree with what he says....we gotta stop the run...hopefully these yutzs..i mean unproven talented youngsters can pull it off ans shock us all

BillsNYC
07-21-2002, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Benjudah
Neuther do most papers in this country... the few good papers are pretty much only found in the 10 largest cities or so in the US...

not nyc....most biased spoertswriters in the country....they even rated the giants as having the second best draft in the nfl this year!!

Shiny Chicken
07-21-2002, 10:31 PM
Well overall, I tend to like the NYTimes

BillsNYC
07-21-2002, 10:34 PM
ehh..i don't like their sports section...or the paper...too har to read on a train and too much babling...just subscribed to The Economist and can't wait..i hear its great to read and even has summaries on all the articles.

Shiny Chicken
07-21-2002, 10:35 PM
Which one's the economist?

Isn' that one of those ultra-conservative or libertarian rags?

BillsNYC
07-21-2002, 10:37 PM
no...i heard thhey're pretty good....can't say for sure cuz i haven't read it yet...but i hear they are pretty witty...

Shiny Chicken
07-22-2002, 12:16 AM
they're unbiased, though?