PDA

View Full Version : 2003-04 Buffalo Sabres Preview

Myers57
10-01-2003, 10:10 AM
POSTED: 11:05 AM EDT September 30, 2003

By Matt Canamucio, NHL Editor -- 2003-04 Buffalo Sabres Preview

The Buffalo Sabres have been to purgatory. Now it's time to start the trek upward.

At least that's how the new men in charge see things.

Rochester billionaire Tom Golisano bought the team on the heels of the whole Adelphia communications debacle and the ensuing bankruptcy, and one of the first moves in his regime was the retaining of both general manager Darcy Regier and head coach Lindy Ruff. At the press conference announcing the move, managing partner Larry Quinn set the bar.

"I found people are willing to change, are really enthusiastic and want to win, and I think that's the most important ingredient we're looking for," Quinn said. "We've got to choose the best decision to give the team the best opportunity to win and we've given them some very strong goals. They've got to make the playoffs this year and we told them we want to win a Stanley Cup within three to four years."

Winning a Stanley Cup is a long way from finishing fifth from the bottom in the overall standings with 72 points.

However, with new leadership at the top and, most importantly, new money available to make the necessary additions, such a jump in a few years isn't necessarily impossible.

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/cgi/NGoto/39122896?

Dozerdog
10-01-2003, 10:26 AM
Nice find , SB&G-

But can you provide a link?

The reason why I ask is because of this part

Copyright 2003. Courtesy of SportsNetwork.

We can't reproduce entire articles on the boards, the first couple of paragraphs and a link to the source will have to do.

Thanks!

Myers57
10-01-2003, 10:30 AM
Oh ok, I'm sorry I did not know that...

That will definetely be the format for Sabres news in the future...

Myers57
10-01-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by SabresBlueAndGold
Ruff was successful, and led the team to its only Stanley Cup Finals berth in 1999.

1975?

[B]WHEN ALL IS SAID AND DONE - Can the Sabres make the jump to the playoffs? Absolutely, considering that the Eastern Conference remains the weaker of the NHL circuits and there is a high level of parity when you get past the top five teams in the conference.

:up: