PDA

View Full Version : According to Steve Tasker on WNSA

Bufftp
10-01-2003, 03:30 PM
The NFL overturned 5 of the 10 penalities called against the Bills. 50% of the calls against the Bills were wrong! Thats alot to ocercome. Would love to know which ones were overturned, and how many against the eagles were overturned?

LtBillsFan66
10-01-2003, 03:31 PM
What does that mean? Overturn? Do they admit they are wrong?

Bufftp
10-01-2003, 03:32 PM
yes thats the NFL admitting they were wrong, bad calls.

Michael82
10-01-2003, 03:33 PM
Apparently, Gregg Williams has gotten word that 5 of the penalties against the Bills were bad calls. The NFL officials checked them all out and overturned 5! Now the question is...which 5 were bad calls? :snicker:

I think this photo fits this post best. :mad:

Dolfan984
10-01-2003, 03:35 PM
There were 7 in the Texans game, including a 42 yarder to the Texan 2 that was called back. We lost by 1. You can't control it, you lost against an 0-3 team...hell, at least the Texans are 2-2.

Dozerdog
10-01-2003, 03:37 PM
All your games are belong to us? That makes no sense.

BTW I merged the two threads together on this subject.

LtBillsFan66
10-01-2003, 03:37 PM
The chop block for one was def a bad call!

Dozerdog
10-01-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Dolfan984
There were 7 in the Texans game, including a 42 yarder to the Texan 2 that was called back. We lost by 1. You can't control it, you lost against an 0-3 team...hell, at least the Texans are 2-2.

Eagles have lost 2 games this season, not 3.

Bufftp
10-01-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

BTW I merged the two threads together on this subject.
it comes from an old video game where the japanese translation was "all your bases are belong to us." it became a hip saying for a year several years back, then faded out of use. Explains why Mikey used it. :D

ArcticWildMan
10-01-2003, 03:42 PM

It's a play on an internet saying that was the rage a year or two ago.

Play this:

All your base are belong to us.. (http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~pyang/base/allyourbase.swf)

Michael82
Originally posted by Bufftp
it comes from an old video game where the japanese translation was "all your bases are belong to us.' it beacame a hip saying for a year several years back. Explains why Mikey used it. :D

LOG used to love it last year. I made that photo last season for all the bad calls and found it in my hard drive. :D

helmetguy
Eagles have lost 2 games this season, not 3.

In Miami math, that's still 0-3, I guess.

Dozerdog
10-01-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
In Miami math, that's still 0-3, I guess.

They had a bye week too, are they now 3-1? LOL

The_Philster
10-01-2003, 04:06 PM
Wow :jawdrop: Looks like we were playing the officials as well as the Eagles after all. I hadn't realized they screwed up so many.

socalfan
10-01-2003, 05:05 PM
Bufftp - where did you get that information??

The Spaz
10-01-2003, 05:25 PM
Those mother f-ers!!!!! I knew something was up here I was watching the call and questioning calls way more than usual those damn bums!!!!!!!!

venis2k1
10-01-2003, 05:47 PM
The defensive holding on Spikes was Definatly a bad call.

Ebenezer
10-01-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
Wow :jawdrop: Looks like we were playing the officials as well as the Eagles after all. I hadn't realized they screwed up so many.

I told that to Clump on the first drive...of course I got the "always the cynic" speech.

timfromjersey
10-01-2003, 06:21 PM
That personal foul against Lawyer Milloy was the biggest BS call of the day. That had to be one!

TigerJ
10-01-2003, 07:38 PM
The kicker is, they don't even talk about the calls the officials should have made and didn't. On the same play where they called that bogus chop block on Burns, they didn't call a pass interference on Philly.

Doc
10-01-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Dolfan984

There were 7 what? Calls that the NFL admitted were wrong, or that you THOUGHT were wrong? There's a big difference.

justasportsfan
10-01-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Doc

There were 7 what? Calls that the NFL admitted were wrong, or that you THOUGHT were wrong? There's a big difference.

Nope 7 bad calls that the NFL admitted they made a mistake against the fins .

What's done is done. Let's move on. The only way to not let the refs decide the game is to blow the opposition away

LtBillsFan66
10-01-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by venis2k1
The defensive holding on Spikes was Definatly a bad call.

Yup.

Doc
10-01-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan

Nope 7 bad calls that the NFL admitted they made a mistake against the fins .

What's done is done. Let's move on. The only way to not let the refs decide the game is to blow the opposition away

Where'd you hear that? If true that blows. Bad calls are bad calls no matter WHO they go against. Friggin' zebras!

The_Philster
10-01-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
I told that to Clump on the first drive...of course I got the "always the cynic" speech.

I try to refrain from commenting about officiating myself...outsiders want to perceive it as whining.

Doc
10-01-2003, 10:08 PM
I feel pretty confident in my knowledge of the rules and that I am a mostly impartial observer. I voice my displeasure over the refs when I feel they went out of their way to call a one-sided game, like those last year against the Chefs and Packers. As luck would have it, beat writers from those teams wrote articles talking about the luck those teams had WRT the officiating, and now this about the Iggles game. I knew from the first few calls and non-calls that the game was crooked.

Brian Griese Rulz
10-01-2003, 11:22 PM
Millory's personal foul was probably 1 of them.

BuffaloRanger
10-02-2003, 12:57 AM
But besides the penalties there were so many non-calls against the Eagles that the NFL will never admit to. Blatent Holding during McNabb's big run. Thrash's push off. The holding on Westbrooks run. These weren't just judgement call non-penalties - they were so obvious that even a fin fan would have have to agree.

I think it's because the NFL wanted McNabb to win because he is black.

HAHA. Just kidding. I don't want to have to resign.

Buffatexas
10-02-2003, 06:14 AM
the NFL should not only fine the refs for bad/blown calls but also reward the team that sufferred by adding a 1000.00 per penalty yard to their cap

Historian
10-02-2003, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by Buffatexas
the NFL should not only fine the refs for bad/blown calls but also reward the team that sufferred by adding a 1000.00 per penalty yard to their cap

That's a VERY good idea! I saw several blown calls in the first half, but to be honest, when you're at home, in front of your own crowd, you should be able to overcome that.

Just another reason why Williams is a miserable failure as a gameday coach.

The Spaz
10-02-2003, 06:56 AM
Bad calls are bad calls home or away!

jdbillsfan
10-02-2003, 07:11 AM
Does anyone have a link to the NFL admitting there were incorrect calls?

PhinPhan1227
10-02-2003, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by BuffaloRanger
But besides the penalties there were so many non-calls against the Eagles that the NFL will never admit to. Blatent Holding during McNabb's big run. Thrash's push off. The holding on Westbrooks run. These weren't just judgement call non-penalties - they were so obvious that even a fin fan would have have to agree.

Incorrect...when the NFL admitted to 7 bad calls against the Phins in the Texans game, they also admitted to 3 "non-calls" that should have been Texans penalties but were never called. The NFL is actually pretty good about internal culpability.

indianabillsfan
10-02-2003, 07:48 AM
I can't believe the NFL would actually admit this. That would kind of be like Gregg Williams admitting that half of Gilbride's or Gray's calls were wrong. I don't know what the point is of the NFL saying that a certain number of calls in each game are wrong. Are they just trying to validate head coaches' frustrations with officials that everyone goes through every game? Or maybe they are just trying to get the players or coaches to bash the officiating so they will have to pay a huge fine to the NFL.

PhinPhan1227
10-02-2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by indianabillsfan
I can't believe the NFL would actually admit this. That would kind of be like Gregg Williams admitting that half of Gilbride's or Gray's calls were wrong. I don't know what the point is of the NFL saying that a certain number of calls in each game are wrong. Are they just trying to validate head coaches' frustrations with officials that everyone goes through every game? Or maybe they are just trying to get the players or coaches to bash the officiating so they will have to pay a huge fine to the NFL.

Actually it's an internal thing that gets leaked. The NFL rules committee reviews tape on EVERY game and decides which calls were good calls and which were bad or "non-calls". They use it for training and for evaluating the refs. EVERY game has bad calls. But some of the ones that have a lot of bad calls or key bad calls are sometimes leaked. This isn't info that's freely released.

indianabillsfan
10-02-2003, 07:54 AM
I also want to know where this information is released publicly. Is it only released to the teams' coaches and then someone with close ties to the team like Steve Tasker leaks it? Has anyone heard if there were any admitted bad calls or non-calls against the Eagles last Sunday or against the Texans when they played Miami in Week 1?

indianabillsfan
10-02-2003, 07:57 AM
Thanks for answering my next question before I could type it. I still want to know if anyone knows if there were any admitted bad calls against the Texans or Eagles.

TedMock
10-02-2003, 08:42 AM
It's too late anyway. "overturning" the calls? what the hell does that mean? Game's over and the outcome can't change. We need to overcome bad calls and not lose our intensity or swagger, which we did. I admit I was screaming at the TV when some of these penalties were being called but the truth is that we didn't deserve to win. We played flat and with no motivation at all. Philly didn't exactly do anything impressive. They wanted it more than we did and came up with plays when they needed to. There were still 5 other STUPID penalties that we earned (2 by Pucillo) and several dropped passes.

Doc
10-02-2003, 09:17 AM
True the Bills play poorly, but that doesn't mean they deserved to lose. In a close contest like that and with the Iggles having better coaches while the Bills had better players, the games are pretty evenly matched WITHOUT the refs deciding things. Bad calls make a mockery of the game, especially when they're numerous like against the Bills. It smacks of game-fixing.

Novacane
10-02-2003, 09:29 AM
How counterproductive for the NFL to be admitting they screwed up and then continue to do nothing about bad officiating. Oh wait............I forgot.........they fired 4 officials last year! They ought to fire 50% of them.

Bring back the replacement officials!

Disgustipatex
10-02-2003, 09:33 AM
Dont whine about this. The Dolphins had it worst in the Houston game, it ended up being a closer score, and they actually had a 48 yard Ricky Williams TD called back on a holding call they later admitted was false.

It happened last year, too, when they played the Jets. Two terrible calls that ended up making a big difference in the game.

The Bills will likely get in trouble for this, though. The NFL was upset that Miami players made the report public, and said they could punish the team for it.

Novacane
10-02-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Disgustipatex

The Bills will likely get in trouble for this, though. The NFL was upset that Miami players made the report public, and said they could punish the team for it.

How stupid for the NFL to be admitting this to teams then!!! Human nature is going to tell people when you are screwed over.

Instead of sending out these memo's that they were wrong they ought to just fix the problem.

BTW......................no one's whining. We lost and deserved to. Just pointing our NFL officials suck like you did by telling us about the Houston blown calls.

LMB
10-02-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by TedMock
It's too late anyway. "overturning" the calls? what the hell does that mean? Game's over and the outcome can't change. We need to overcome bad calls and not lose our intensity or swagger, which we did. I admit I was screaming at the TV when some of these penalties were being called but the truth is that we didn't deserve to win. We played flat and with no motivation at all. Philly didn't exactly do anything impressive. They wanted it more than we did and came up with plays when they needed to. There were still 5 other STUPID penalties that we earned (2 by Pucillo) and several dropped passes.

How do know how poorly they played if the officials keep us in 1st 2nd 3rd and long. Stop our offensive drives and keep our D on the field by keeping the opponents offsive drives going when they should have been in either in long situations or stopped. Bad or non calls can change the momentum enough to change the entire game and game plan.

Turf
10-02-2003, 01:28 PM
It appeared to me the fix was on from the first quarter, and this just validates it. Granted we played like fools, but no one can make that many bad calls accidently.

Michael82
10-02-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Travis Hunter
It appeared to me the fix was on from the first quarter, and this just validates it. Granted we played like fools, but no one can make that many bad calls accidently.

BINGO! :D

BillsFever
10-02-2003, 01:41 PM
I get so sick of this I'm almost sick of watching sports.

Michael82
10-02-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by BillsFever
I get so sick of this I'm almost sick of watching sports.

I'm getting tired with it too! If there wasn't a Buffalo Bills....I would probably stop watching the NFL as much as I do. I'm sick to death of all the crap calls that just seem to be a little bit of a fix. Part of me really thinks there was a fix with all the crap calls and the ton of non calls on Sunday. It makes the most sense. Philly is a VERY popular team in the NFL and McNabb is also very popular. How bad would it look if they were 0-3 to start the season? It would be terrible!!!

rsmithgi
10-02-2003, 04:48 PM
Every team submits plays for review after each game. I've read that there are incorrect calls every game against every team. The leak indicated that there were 5 bad calls against the Bills.

Steve Tasker doesn't have access to the information about Philly's submission. It is possible that there were a number of bad calls against Philly as well. It also says nothing about plays that weren't submitted for review.

There is no way from this information alone to determine if the Bills got the worst of the officiating. No one likes bad calls but they are part of the game. Must be nice to sit back and watch in slow motion to determine if a penalty should have been called.

Most knowledgeable NFL people will tell you that penalties can be called on almost every play.

I believe that this process of submitting plays and getting results back helps the league improve its officiating and may help the team avoid penalties by getting a better explanation of questionable calls.

The leaking of this information is self serving by the Bills and the Dolphins. Its a lame attempt to push blame someplace else. Neither team should have lost to a team that they are capable of outplaying.

don137
10-02-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by rsmithgi

There is no way from this information alone to determine if the Bills got the worst of the officiating.

One problem with your theory. Philly was penalized only 7 times for only 45 yards where Buffalo was penalized 10 times for 84 yards. That is almost twice as many yards. How can you say there is no way to show the Bills got the worst of the officiating. BTW, I am not blaming the officials for the loss because if the Bills executed better on both sides of the field the game was there for the taking. I will say Buffalo was on the short end of the stick regarding the calls.

helmetguy
10-02-2003, 09:12 PM
The fact is, NFL officials enjoy a wide latitude for descretion during the course of any game. The problem with having so much latitude is that there is an attendant loss if consistency among the crews or, worse yet, inconsistency within the crew from week to week. What's the solution? Players have to play better, and coaches have to coach better so that a missed/bad call doesn't become the difference between winning and losing.

rsmithgi
10-02-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by don137

One problem with your theory. Philly was penalized only 7 times for only 45 yards where Buffalo was penalized 10 times for 84 yards. That is almost twice as many yards. How can you say there is no way to show the Bills got the worst of the officiating. BTW, I am not blaming the officials for the loss because if the Bills executed better on both sides of the field the game was there for the taking. I will say Buffalo was on the short end of the stick regarding the calls.

What if all 7 calls against Philly were wrong and only 5 of Buffalo's were wrong?

What if the Bills committed 15 additional penalties that weren't called?

The point is that it is a one sided view of the officiating.

Halbert
10-02-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
You must not have watched the game then.

As I've said, that was the worst called game I've seen since the "just give it to him" fiasco.

As much as I hate it when people blame the refs for a loss, I will go on record saying I believe the string of bad calls that went against the Bills was the difference in that game. Neither team played very well but the refs continually gave gifts to the Eagles, including three first downs on third down that were all bad calls, imo. That is huuuge.

Halbert
10-02-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by rsmithgi

What if all 7 calls against Philly were wrong and only 5 of Buffalo's were wrong?

The number isn't as important as the situation.

THREE TIMES the Bills had stopped the Eagle on THIRD DOWN only to see the refs award a freebie first down on what were IMO very bad calls. I don't care if it's the '74 Dolphins against East Aurora High, that's tough to overcome.

The_Philster
10-03-2003, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by Halbert
You must not have watched the game then.

Oh, I watched it...and I know there were a lot of calls that were kinda questionable...but I wasn't sure if I thought that because it was the Bills or just because they were questionable. It's easy to question more calls that go against your own team.

stuckincincy
10-03-2003, 05:23 AM
It would be interesting to see if calls are up league-wide. My impression it that they are. I still wonder if the NYG-SF playoff snafu from last year, after which they said that they were going to break up existing ref crews (did that actuallly happen?) has made the refs unsure and trigger happy. OTHO, they are also missing a lot of obvious ones.

BTW, watch Cincy's WR Chad Johnson (#85). He's become a real push-off artist.

PhinPhan1227
10-03-2003, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green

How stupid for the NFL to be admitting this to teams then!!! Human nature is going to tell people when you are screwed over.

Instead of sending out these memo's that they were wrong they ought to just fix the problem.

BTW......................no one's whining. We lost and deserved to. Just pointing our NFL officials suck like you did by telling us about the Houston blown calls.

"Fixing the problem" isn't as easy as it sounds. Unless you've got a way to put bionic eyes in the refs, they can only do as well as a person can do. We're all looking at slo-mo shots of the game, the refs are calling the game at full speed...frequently with a player obstructing their view of the play. And if you review EVERY play for possible penalties, you're going to have 6 hour games. I do think that more plays need to be reviewable, but it's NEVER going to be anywhere CLOSE to perfect. It can't be.

LMB
10-03-2003, 10:53 AM
There is no way from this information alone to determine if the Bills got the worst of the officiating

We lost.

Doc
10-03-2003, 11:38 AM
Anyone who saw the game and could look at it objectively knew the Bills were shafted. While the memo talked about the 5 calls that were made, there were many that were missed.

PhinPhan1227
10-03-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Doc
Anyone who saw the game and could look at it objectively knew the Bills were shafted. While the memo talked about the 5 calls that were made, there were many that were missed.

Lol...I always love when "anyone who looks at it objectively"...also has to reside on THAT teams message board.

Halbert
10-03-2003, 03:31 PM
Do the announcers count? They were talking about the bad calls and how the Bills must be scratching their heads.