• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

What pisses me off about Gregg Williams

• No desire shown by the players against the Eagles
    • Comes into Buffalo, where we have a #3 ranked defenses, and tells us he'll make us better..and proceeds to do just the opposite
    • dances around talking about problems by saying "We've got to work on that" but not giving any definitive answers as to how
    • places Pucillo at RG and gives the reasoning that he's a better pass blocker and run blocker than Sullivan is...when everyone can see that's a load of BS

There's more...but I'll let more people fill that in
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!
  • MDFINFAN
    • Jun 2003

You were the #3 D when Gregg got here? Wow, I didn't know that. Did the previous coach do better? Mav was the last coach I knew that took you guys far, but he had a bunch of players with heart.

Reach for the stars

Comment

• The_Philster
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
      You were the #3 D when Gregg got here? Wow, I didn't know that. Did the previous coach do better? Mav was the last coach I knew that took you guys far, but he had a bunch of players with heart.
      Wade Phillips and Ted Cotrell had the D ranked pretty high ever since Wade took over from Walt Corey in 1995. (Wade being the D Coordinator from 95-97 and Ted from 98-2000) It was a 3-4 defense built around a solid corps of players like BRUCE, Washington. Hansen, Cowart, Spielman, Paup, Henry Jones, Thomas Smith, Keion Carpenter. Now, a lot of those players had to leave due to cap considerations or other reasons (Spielman-traded, Paup-let go in free agency when his performance declined) and it's understandable that our defense wouldn't remain as highly ranked as it was. But Gregg still had some good players to work with who were performing well in the 3-4 schemes. His intent was to install the 46 defense as our base. The players had to adapt...he couldn't make it work so we've been playing a mixture of schemes ever since he took over as head coach. The point is, he refused to adapt to the talant on the team. A 46 defense can be played in the 3-4 set for one thing and his idea that he was going to make our defense great (when it already was) was bigheaded to say the least. If he had had a proven track record, we wouldn't have been as skeptical as we were. But he came in as a defensive coordinator-turned head coach from a team where all he was doing was doing exactly what Fisher told him....Fisher was behind the Titans D, not Williams. I stated it earlier today...when a coordinator becomes a head coach, he usually has a lot of say in his side of the ball, especially if he's taking over the team he coordinated for.
      Fisher was the def. coor for the Titans before being made head coach
      Wade Phillips was our def coor here before getting head coach and he and Ted Cottrell worked together a lot on putting in the defense. He spent a lot more time with Cottrell than he did Pendry.
      The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• kgun12
        • Jul 2002

I just wonder if we had this board during the Super Bowl run How many fans would have called for Kelly's Levy's Thomas's and the entire defense in any or all 4 of the Super Bowls?

Let's see kelly had some of his worst games in the SB's.

Levy got out coached in ALL 4 games.

Thomas should have gotten out of bounds in the first SB. Than there would have been time to run a few more plays and score a TD or at the very least got it close enough for a Norwood chip shot!

As far as the defense goes, well I guess I don't have to say anything.

So let's look at those names; Kelly, Levy in the Hall of Fame. Thomas good shot at it. Bruce one of the members of 4 bad SB defenses a lock.

No Williams hasn't gotten us to the SB yet, but it could happen. Look at how bad our Hall of Famers have produces in big Games.

Just food for thought!

Posted this on another thread, but thought it was worth repeating
        Retired Air Traffic Controller
        USAF VETERAN
        DAV

Comment

• superbills
          • Mar 2003

It just bothers me that he seems so damn cluseless so much of the time. And that false sense of power he has like when he went all ballistic when people mentioned his contract. I guess THERE'S someone who doesn't like being reminded that he's on the hotseat. And that's what gets me. Are these rediculous decisions just gambles on his part to try and pull an ace out of his hat so that he'll come off smelling like a rose to management? What other explaination could be given for the stupid trick plays and the Jennings mess? I think this guy is going to come out smelling like Adams' butt after a hearty helping of Wys Wings if he doesn't just start playing basic football and knocking off all this "it's my team" macho Greg garbage. Anyone got a match?
          "The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."
          Ronald Reagan
          40th president of US (1911 - 2004)

Comment

• BuffaloRanger
            WORK HARD. PLAY HARD. LIVE HARD.
            • Mar 2003

Face it, if not for the blown call in the the flaming thumbtacks playoff game, they don't make the SB. His stock never rises, he isn't even considered for a head coaching job. In the 3 seasons he's been here, he still challenges calls like a ******, still can't make adjustments at halftime, or manage a clock (letting 20 secs run off clock before challenging TD call last game) and thus, is still a below average game coach.

Has he ever done anything during a game that made you say "wow, what a good coach." I didn't think so.

I'm not advocating firing him before the season ends. And I'm sure not in favor of Lebeau (better D-Coord) or Gilbride (what has he done?) taking over the head coaching job.

But do you think he's as good a coach as Levy?
            Buffalo Only and Always.

Comment

• The_Philster
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BuffaloRanger
              he still challenges calls like a ******,
              Well, except for how much time it took him to make that challenge on the non-TD call, I think he's improved in that area.

Comment

• Historian
                2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                • Dec 2002

Its arrogance, plain and simple. The guy never worked his way up through the college ranks, and If he really wants to "teach" players, that's where he should be.

As for Levy's teams...they had to win an awful lot of games to get the chance to win or lose those Super Bowls. This team has yet to do that.

Comment

• helmetguy
                  Touch the helmet for luck
                  • Sep 2002

Remember too, Phil, that when Tennessee's D was ranked so high, they played 8-10 games against offensive juggernauts like Cincy, Cleveland, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh in the old AFC Central. In other words, they built up defenseive stats against teams where "offensive" usually referred to personal hygeine.
                  Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
                  And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

• stuckincincy
                    Buffalo Bills Fan
                    • Sep 2003

I think GW is the type of guy, that one could launch an ENTIRELY justified ##!^&%$# streak upon, and his response would be "Do you mean that in the good sense or the bad sense?"

He reminds me of a guy I once worked with, who was in charge of "Team Building Exercises."

At one of his so-called meetings, somebody said to 'em "How come you always answer our questions with a question?"

His totally sincere (and clueless) reply was, "Do I?"
                    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                      Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

I hate people like that.

Comment

• Fairway To Green
                        • Jul 2002

GW has brought most of the fans hating him on himself.

He cam in here as a rookie HC running his mouth off about how great his D was gonna be and how disciplined his team was gonna be.

Being an arrogant ass is one thing when you back it up and prove you were right. He has done the opposite

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                          • Jul 2002

I throw the first season out all together. I don't care what Gregg promised, no coach would do much better with that team!

And abour promises... WTF is he supposed to say? Should he have said that the Bills are rebuilding so don't expect many wins! WTF!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• HenryRules
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Billsology
                            Its arrogance, plain and simple.
                            Since when is arrogance a bad quality in head coaches? They're the end-of-the-line for day-to-day management of the team, they had better be arrogant or else they'll suck. I'd say one of the biggest problems with Gregg seems to be a lack of arrogance ... he hasn't taken over any aspect of the team and labelled it his own yet (D is JG's job and the fact we hired LeBeau indicates to me GW didn't have much of a hand in it).

Name me one great coach that was not arrogant and I'll name you 5-10 who were.

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HenryRules
                              Since when is arrogance a bad quality in head coaches? They're the end-of-the-line for day-to-day management of the team, they had better be arrogant or else they'll suck.

Name me one great coach that was not arrogant and I'll name you 5-10 who were.
                              Jim Mora... lol

Comment

Working...
                              X