PDA

View Full Version : What pisses me off about Gregg Williams

The_Philster
10-01-2003, 09:43 PM
No desire shown by the players against the Eagles
Comes into Buffalo, where we have a #3 ranked defenses, and tells us he'll make us better..and proceeds to do just the opposite
dances around talking about problems by saying "We've got to work on that" but not giving any definitive answers as to how
places Pucillo at RG and gives the reasoning that he's a better pass blocker and run blocker than Sullivan is...when everyone can see that's a load of BS

There's more...but I'll let more people fill that in
:feedback:

MDFINFAN
10-01-2003, 10:02 PM
You were the #3 D when Gregg got here? Wow, I didn't know that. Did the previous coach do better? Mav was the last coach I knew that took you guys far, but he had a bunch of players with heart.

The_Philster
10-01-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by MDFINFAN
You were the #3 D when Gregg got here? Wow, I didn't know that. Did the previous coach do better? Mav was the last coach I knew that took you guys far, but he had a bunch of players with heart.

Wade Phillips and Ted Cotrell had the D ranked pretty high ever since Wade took over from Walt Corey in 1995. (Wade being the D Coordinator from 95-97 and Ted from 98-2000) It was a 3-4 defense built around a solid corps of players like BRUCE, Washington. Hansen, Cowart, Spielman, Paup, Henry Jones, Thomas Smith, Keion Carpenter. Now, a lot of those players had to leave due to cap considerations or other reasons (Spielman-traded, Paup-let go in free agency when his performance declined) and it's understandable that our defense wouldn't remain as highly ranked as it was. But Gregg still had some good players to work with who were performing well in the 3-4 schemes. His intent was to install the 46 defense as our base. The players had to adapt...he couldn't make it work so we've been playing a mixture of schemes ever since he took over as head coach. The point is, he refused to adapt to the talant on the team. A 46 defense can be played in the 3-4 set for one thing and his idea that he was going to make our defense great (when it already was) was bigheaded to say the least. If he had had a proven track record, we wouldn't have been as skeptical as we were. But he came in as a defensive coordinator-turned head coach from a team where all he was doing was doing exactly what Fisher told him....Fisher was behind the Titans D, not Williams. I stated it earlier today...when a coordinator becomes a head coach, he usually has a lot of say in his side of the ball, especially if he's taking over the team he coordinated for.
Fisher was the def. coor for the Titans before being made head coach
Wade Phillips was our def coor here before getting head coach and he and Ted Cottrell worked together a lot on putting in the defense. He spent a lot more time with Cottrell than he did Pendry.

kgun12
10-01-2003, 11:23 PM
I just wonder if we had this board during the Super Bowl run How many fans would have called for Kelly's Levy's Thomas's and the entire defense in any or all 4 of the Super Bowls?

Let's see kelly had some of his worst games in the SB's.

Levy got out coached in ALL 4 games.

Thomas should have gotten out of bounds in the first SB. Than there would have been time to run a few more plays and score a TD or at the very least got it close enough for a Norwood chip shot!

As far as the defense goes, well I guess I don't have to say anything.

So let's look at those names; Kelly, Levy in the Hall of Fame. Thomas good shot at it. Bruce one of the members of 4 bad SB defenses a lock.

No Williams hasn't gotten us to the SB yet, but it could happen. Look at how bad our Hall of Famers have produces in big Games.

Just food for thought!

Posted this on another thread, but thought it was worth repeating

superbills
10-01-2003, 11:37 PM
It just bothers me that he seems so damn cluseless so much of the time. And that false sense of power he has like when he went all ballistic when people mentioned his contract. I guess THERE'S someone who doesn't like being reminded that he's on the hotseat. And that's what gets me. Are these rediculous decisions just gambles on his part to try and pull an ace out of his hat so that he'll come off smelling like a rose to management? What other explaination could be given for the stupid trick plays and the Jennings mess? I think this guy is going to come out smelling like Adams' butt after a hearty helping of Wys Wings if he doesn't just start playing basic football and knocking off all this "it's my team" macho Greg garbage. Anyone got a match? :boom:

BuffaloRanger
10-02-2003, 12:49 AM
Face it, if not for the blown call in the the flaming thumbtacks playoff game, they don't make the SB. His stock never rises, he isn't even considered for a head coaching job. In the 3 seasons he's been here, he still challenges calls like a ******, still can't make adjustments at halftime, or manage a clock (letting 20 secs run off clock before challenging TD call last game) and thus, is still a below average game coach.

Has he ever done anything during a game that made you say "wow, what a good coach." I didn't think so.

I'm not advocating firing him before the season ends. And I'm sure not in favor of Lebeau (better D-Coord) or Gilbride (what has he done?) taking over the head coaching job.

But do you think he's as good a coach as Levy?

The_Philster
10-02-2003, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by BuffaloRanger
he still challenges calls like a ******,

Well, except for how much time it took him to make that challenge on the non-TD call, I think he's improved in that area.

Historian
10-02-2003, 06:32 AM
Its arrogance, plain and simple. The guy never worked his way up through the college ranks, and If he really wants to "teach" players, that's where he should be.

As for Levy's teams...they had to win an awful lot of games to get the chance to win or lose those Super Bowls. This team has yet to do that.

helmetguy
10-02-2003, 08:48 AM
Remember too, Phil, that when Tennessee's D was ranked so high, they played 8-10 games against offensive juggernauts like Cincy, Cleveland, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh in the old AFC Central. In other words, they built up defenseive stats against teams where "offensive" usually referred to personal hygeine.

stuckincincy
10-02-2003, 09:11 AM
I think GW is the type of guy, that one could launch an ENTIRELY justified ##!^&%$# streak upon, and his response would be "Do you mean that in the good sense or the bad sense?"

He reminds me of a guy I once worked with, who was in charge of "Team Building Exercises." :tongue:

At one of his so-called meetings, somebody said to 'em "How come you always answer our questions with a question?"

His totally sincere (and clueless) reply was, "Do I?"

Mr. Miyagi
10-02-2003, 09:32 AM
:lol: I hate people like that.

Novacane
10-02-2003, 09:38 AM
GW has brought most of the fans hating him on himself.

He cam in here as a rookie HC running his mouth off about how great his D was gonna be and how disciplined his team was gonna be.

Being an arrogant ass is one thing when you back it up and prove you were right. He has done the opposite

LtBillsFan66
10-02-2003, 09:45 AM
I throw the first season out all together. I don't care what Gregg promised, no coach would do much better with that team!

And abour promises... WTF is he supposed to say? Should he have said that the Bills are rebuilding so don't expect many wins! WTF!!!!!!!!!

HenryRules
10-02-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Billsology
Its arrogance, plain and simple.

Since when is arrogance a bad quality in head coaches? They're the end-of-the-line for day-to-day management of the team, they had better be arrogant or else they'll suck. I'd say one of the biggest problems with Gregg seems to be a lack of arrogance ... he hasn't taken over any aspect of the team and labelled it his own yet (D is JG's job and the fact we hired LeBeau indicates to me GW didn't have much of a hand in it).

Name me one great coach that was not arrogant and I'll name you 5-10 who were.

LtBillsFan66
10-02-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by HenryRules
Since when is arrogance a bad quality in head coaches? They're the end-of-the-line for day-to-day management of the team, they had better be arrogant or else they'll suck.

Name me one great coach that was not arrogant and I'll name you 5-10 who were.

Jim Mora... lol

Novacane
10-02-2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by billsfanone
I throw the first season out all together. I don't care what Gregg promised, no coach would do much better with that team!

And abour promises... WTF is he supposed to say? Should he have said that the Bills are rebuilding so don't expect many wins! WTF!!!!!!!!!

I give him a pass on season 1 too.

On dissing our #3 defense and saying his would be better? He knew what he was going to have to work with. He was so arrogant he thought he could make sucky players a top Defense.

What do you think about his promise to be a disciplined team? Do you think being near the most penalized team every year is being disciplined?

lordofgun
10-02-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by stuckincincy
I think GW is the type of guy, that one could launch an ENTIRELY justified ##!^&%$# streak upon, and his response would be "Do you mean that in the good sense or the bad sense?"

He reminds me of a guy I once worked with, who was in charge of "Team Building Exercises." :tongue:

At one of his so-called meetings, somebody said to 'em "How come you always answer our questions with a question?"

His totally sincere (and clueless) reply was, "Do I?"

:rofl: So true.

Novacane
10-02-2003, 10:02 AM

Since when is arrogance a bad quality in head coaches? .

When you don't back it up. If you can't walk the walk then don't talk the talk.

HenryRules
10-02-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
When you don't back it up. If you can't walk the walk then don't talk the talk.

If you can't back it up, then you're talking about incompetence - which I agree is a bad quality to have. However, an arrogant incompetent coach would be a better coach than an incompetent coach who isn't arrogant.

LtBillsFan66
10-02-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
I give him a pass on season 1 too.

On dissing our #3 defense and saying his would be better? He knew what he was going to have to work with. He was so arrogant he thought he could make sucky players a top Defense.

What do you think about his promise to be a disciplined team? Do you think being near the most penalized team every year is being disciplined?

I agree that he can be much better. I want to see how this season plays out. Who knows...

I mostly object to the posts about firing him in mid-season. If the team doesn't improve much, then I wouldn't mind someone else taking over -------> next season.

helmetguy
10-02-2003, 11:08 AM
However, an arrogant incompetent coach would be a better coach than an incompetent coach who isn't arrogant.

How so? Incompetence, however you sugar coat it, is still incompetence.

HenryRules
10-02-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by helmetguy
How so? Incompetence, however you sugar coat it, is still incompetence.

I'm not saying that either coach would be good, just that an arrogant and incompentent coach would be better than an incompetent coach that is not arrogant.

Similar to a receiver who can't run, can't catch, but can block is better than a receiver who can't run, catch, or block.

If you are incompetent and not arrogant, your lack of confidence and control within the team will cause confusion and make things even worse.

If you are competent, but arrogant, you will at least ensure that everyone is working together (until you lose the team due to your incompetence) towards a common goal.

Even if an incompetent coach calls the wrong thing at the wrong time, if he has them all on the same page (which is easier to do if you are arrogant), they will perform better than otherwise.

colin
10-02-2003, 11:24 AM
There was an article in the onion about a take charge get involved guy who's ideas were always waaaaaaaaaaay wrong, he'd jump in to help and just screw everything up.

GW reminds me of that guy, big on preperation, but coaching takes making the one or two smart moves, before and during the game, and GW cannot make those.

He seems to just work more, not better.

helmetguy
10-02-2003, 01:44 PM
I'm less inclined to follow an incompetent, arrogant coach, simply because that arrogance is a denial of the incompetence. In other words, he deflecting the failures on others. If the guy can't put me in a position to improve, all the while denying HIS fallibility, then I'd be incline to just show up and go through the motions. In any event, incompetence is still incompetence. In any job, if you can't get the job done, you're replaced with someone who can.