PDA

View Full Version : G Williams

scott_thompson
10-01-2003, 11:52 PM
:viohit: Lets give Williams a little time. This is a fairly young and new team lots of new players. I dont agree with all the play calling, game plans and decisions. But who does when they lose? We are 2-2 lost to Miami and Philly 2 playoff caliber teams. As bad as we played we could have won either of those games.

It boils down to execution. The players have to play and make plays conisistenly. Williams and the coaches have to put the right players on the field and put them in spots to make the plays. I dont know why they dont get the ball to Moulds more but we have seen this before. They just have to play with some intensity and agression. Get some BIG plays early, get T-Hen back. The NFL is so balanced each week a good team can look like this. Lets see how Williams and staff adapt and manage this, before we run him out. TD has surrounded him with all the pieces - now let the players PLAY.

Dozerdog
10-02-2003, 01:35 AM
Welcome to the zone, scott!

He has had 2 plus years. What drives me nuts is his game decisions, It's almost like the punt on 4th and 2 from the 32 has made him to aggressive this year... now he fakes everyhting!

helmetguy
10-02-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

Now he fakes everyhting!

I heard his wife does, too, Bun-Bun!

heeheehee.....BUN-BUN!!!!.....heeheeheee

stuckincincy
10-02-2003, 11:53 AM
If history is our guide, he'd be out of his depth in a parking lot puddle... :birds:

helmetguy
10-02-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by stuckincincy
If history is our guide, he'd be out of his depth in a parking lot puddle... :birds:

That's the spirit!!!

Turf
10-02-2003, 08:38 PM
Time??? Time?? Time???????

3 years is well enough time. 1 year was enough for me.

helmetguy
10-02-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Travis Hunter
Time??? Time?? Time???????

3 years is well enough time. 1 year was enough for me.

I hear ya! Been saying that all along m'self!

L.A. Playa
10-02-2003, 08:51 PM
I have a question why does it seem as if the Bills always hire coaches who seem quiet and reserved when the fans always want a firery Gruden or Ditka type ????

helmetguy
10-02-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by pmacla
I have a question why does it seem as if the Bills always hire coaches who seem quiet and reserved when the fans always want a firery Gruden or Ditka type ????

I don't think it is the want for a "fiery" type coach, so much as it is for a coach who can think and act on the fly. Sideline historionics, like those displayed by Ditka, Gruden, Fischer, Cowher and the like, are not necessarily the mark of a competent head coach. In Williams' case, it just seems that he is lost once the action on the field does not go according to his well researched, meticulously prepared game plans; as if he never anticipated what the opposing coach might do.

L.A. Playa
10-02-2003, 09:15 PM
I am by no means a Williams supporter, but I was wondering what would make fans accept him and want to keep him as coach????

Bufftp
10-02-2003, 09:16 PM
win a superbowl.

stuckincincy
10-03-2003, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by pmacla
I am by no means a Williams supporter, but I was wondering what would make fans accept him and want to keep him as coach????

Buy a round for the whole stadium? :up:

Turf
10-03-2003, 05:53 AM
Take his head out of his collective ass would do it for me.

Historian
10-03-2003, 06:18 AM
Three years is two years too long. I personally wan a coach with a pedigree, some experience...I dont care what he acts like on the field, or whether he wears a headset.

SABURZFAN
10-03-2003, 06:30 AM
welcome to the board scott.

Gee Dubya gets a :down: from me.he's a buffoon.

indianabillsfan
10-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Here's my bottom line on Williams... I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and here's why. I have seen some bad Bills teams (2001) and some good Bills teams play some inspired games. I don't always agree with his decisons, but who does? A coach is always going to have his decisions questioned if his team looses. And he is going to get some praise if his team wins, and sometimes even his deisions in a win will be questioned. He can be as disciplined and intelligent and motivating as any coach in the league, but it is ultimately up to the players to perform. Williams is being evaluated based on the performances of 53 players and a dozen other coaches. That has to be one of the toughest parts of a very tough job. Gilbride calls offensive plays and Gray calls defensive plays. Is it Williams' fault if they make a bad call and set the Bills up to fail on the next play? Remember, it was Donahoe's final decision to hire the coaching staff, not Williams'. If Williams and the staff arrange and implement a brilliant game plan (and, yes, for all of you GW haters, it does happen) and has the team prepared physically, mentally, and emotionally to carry out the plan, is it Williams' fault if a player misses an assignment that was reviewed 100 times in preseason, in meetings, and in practice leading up to the game? Is it his fault if a player commits a stupid penalty? A player of Milloy's caliber should know not to retaliate after someone dives at his knees, even if it was a cheap shot. I don't care if it was a bad call by the official, why give him the opporunity to make the call? Is it his fault if Moulds drops a pass? Is it his fault if Bledsoe does not know what down it is? Surely we are not going to blame GW because he did not remind Moulds to keep his eye on the ball. And surely a veteran with Bledsoe's experience and awareness and intelligence should not have to be reminded that it is 4th down. Is it his fault if key players are hurt?

I think GW is respected in the locker room and throughout the organization, and that is more important than fans' perceptions. The players have been asked and expected to have faith in GW since day 1. What kind of a message would the organization be sending to its employees if GW is fired in the middle of the most promising season in recent years because the team has hit a bump in the road? Shouldn't the oraganization and the fans show the same kind of faith in the coach that the players have been asked to. Sure, it is easier to say "fire GW" instead of calling for the dismissal of 53 players. It is easy for fans to call for GW's firing because we do not have to face the consequences. Our reputaions and our jobs are not at stake. We do not have to answer to anybody at One Bills Drive. The future of our companies have no reliance on the firing of GW. Why should we care, even if it does happen and turns out to be a bad decision? At least we can still watch the Bills, right?

I say this to those who are calling for Williams to be fired. Where is all of this outcry for Williams' dismissal after a winning streak? I personally do not think having another coach on the sideline would have made a difference in the Miami and Philadelphia games. The Bills have a lot invested in Williams and a lot at stake, unlike us fans. I think they should stay the course and keep GW. It is my firm belief that they have something very special going on this season and I don't get this feeling every year. I think the players believe in GW and play hard for him and that has resulted in excellent team chemistry. It woud be a shame to see such a positive atmosphere tampered with and possibly destroyed. Why take the chance? I honestly believe that we would not be better off right now with any other coach right now, no matter how long he had been with the team. GO BILLS!!!!

Historian
10-03-2003, 08:51 AM
Ugh! I think I'm gonna puke. ;) Let's just all go and win one for the gipper!

TedMock
10-03-2003, 08:59 AM
We couldn't realistically have asked him to put out a winner in 2001. Vince Lombardi would've failed with that team. This year is the only year that we can fairly judge him. He actually has talent on both sides of the ball. He was a very good D-coach for several years in the NFL. After this year we'll know if that's all he is.....another Wade. I can't say the guy's good or bad after 4 games and I definitely won't judge 2001 considering what he was given. Things got better last year and now we have a full team so I'll have no forgiveness or excuses for him if we don't make the playoffs. We do have to give the guy a fair shot. We basically sent him to war with nothing but a pocket knife. I do think that Gilbride is a bad OC and it's been proven for many years. I'd like to see him go.

helmetguy
10-03-2003, 04:01 PM
The source of my constant hyperacidity re. GW is that, in spite of all the upgrades in personnel, and in spite of his gaining on the job experience, HE STILL MAKES THE SAME MISTAKES. That tells me that he either does not recognize his errors, doesn't learn from them, or is too stubborn to make the adjustments to his "best laid plans" to fit the talent and capabilities of the personnel he fields each game. Any ONE of those is cause for concern. A combination of the three of them warrants dismissal.

LMB
10-03-2003, 10:04 PM
Greg is 12-21 as a coach. Lets end the suffering ASAP. Fire him.

XNOUGHT
10-04-2003, 04:38 PM
Bill Belichick went 5-11 his first year.

Give a coach 3 years unless he is horrendously bad, or someone awsome comes along.

I think for GW, it's playoffs or bust.