PDA

View Full Version : Josh Reed - Start 'em or Bench 'em?

Domibrader
10-05-2003, 03:51 PM
:monkey: Next week: start Reed or Bench him?

I say bench him for a long while!

don137
10-05-2003, 04:09 PM
He is really hurting this team on offense with his drops. The last thing the offense needs is a player that drops almost every ball thrown his way. Bench him and give Coleman a shot at the 3rd WR sport and bump up Shaw to #2.

superbills
10-05-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by don137
He is really hurting this team on offense with his drops. The last thing the offense needs is a player that drops almost every ball thrown his way. Bench him and give Coleman a shot at the 3rd WR sport and bump up Shaw to #2.

Took the words right out of my mouth :up:

StillLurkin
10-05-2003, 04:23 PM
bench him, bring him in on 3 and 4 wide sets only. bobby has outplayed him all season!

redeye5
10-05-2003, 06:46 PM
bench him or maybe cut him but at the very least put him on the practice squad

LtBillsFan66
10-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Reed looks terrible. :(

I'm sure it's Gregg Williams fault.

Drewpac
10-05-2003, 07:12 PM
This guy sucks!!! I was expecting big things from Reed and I was so excited when we drafted him but he is a bust. The guy has no speed whatsoever and he can't catch even the simpleist of passes. At this point he needs to be sat down for a few weeks so he can clear his head. He might also want to think about seeing a sports pyschologist. You have to figure that Bledsoe thinks twice every time he sees Reed open.

JayWood
10-05-2003, 07:16 PM
start coleman, loved this guy in the preseason. Iam not ready to say forget about josh reed, cut him and say so long, but right now the guy is not helping himslef or this team so a little change in scenary is good for both ends

StillLurkin
10-05-2003, 07:41 PM
i wouldn't go as far as cutting him. i'd put him in the game but only in 3/4/5 wide sets. don't let him collect dust on the bench or he could be lost forever. remember, neither moulds or price did squat in their first 2 years.

BidsJr
10-05-2003, 07:44 PM
I say that the only thing wrong with Reed is a fragile confidence.

I would try and put him in shotgun sets in the backfield with Henry/Gash. Then feed him a steady diet of screen/ dump off passes to help him rebuild confidence. If that doesn't work then pine time baby.

robeezy
10-05-2003, 08:46 PM
He obviously wasn't ready for the 2nd spot. He's this years offensive version of Watson. "Your killing us out there!"

MDFINFAN
10-05-2003, 08:46 PM
Sounds like you guys are missing Price just a little maybe..Reed is no Price at this point...If he can't be counted on, then Drew will look Moulds down...Reed better gain some confidence fast, or he will really hinder your O. Drew likes to get rid of the ball on a receivers break, if he feels the reciever will drop it, he's going to hold on to the ball even longer..Sack city...Reed can gain some confidence for a while, then he has to loose it again when Miami gets to town..

The_Philster
10-05-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by redeye5
bench him or maybe cut him but at the very least put him on the practice squad

Cutting him would be a stupid idea. He could make a comeback next year. It's only his second year in the league. And you can't put him on the practice squad. He was active all last season and this season. He's ineligible after 6 games of being on the active roster.

BidsJr
10-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Moulds was in this same spot in his second year. WAAAYYY too early to give up on Reed.

Eric used to be a huge bust before he broke out.

Voltron
10-05-2003, 09:56 PM
You all seem to forget that it took Moulds 3 years to break out. I say bench him next week to get his head back in the game, Give coleman the shot at #3 and get Reed in there on certian situations. He is a good down field blocker for some reason he just can't hang on to the ball this year.

BidsJr
10-05-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Voltron
You all seem to forget that it took Moulds 3 years to break out. I say bench him next week to get his head back in the game, Give coleman the shot at #3 and get Reed in there on certian situations. He is a good down field blocker for some reason he just can't hang on to the ball this year.

I did? (:

jbisset
10-05-2003, 10:19 PM
Too many drop...bring him off the bench

TheGhostofJimKelly
10-06-2003, 06:58 AM
To the bench with you young man!!!

WNYnut
10-06-2003, 07:13 AM
Bench him for a couple of weeks, let him think about things for awhile. Start Clarence Coleman for a couple of games, and if he brings a more viable threat than Reed, leave Coleman in. The drops are out of control, and not only is Drew losing confidence in him, but being at the game yesterday, so are the fans.

ryven
10-06-2003, 07:25 AM
Well Reed is looking pretty bad but I still dont understand why he cant work the slot and still be the the number 2 WR. or is that where he has been playing?

That way he can get the match ups he had last year and he could get a little more time to get use to the NFL.

They could swap reed and shaw or at most bench him for a couple of games and put in coleman.

IHateTheDullphins
10-06-2003, 08:27 AM
Coleman is just waiting to show his stuff... Reed needs to worry less about which diamond stud and armani suit he's gonna wear, and more about how he's gonna get open and catch something.

Novacane
10-06-2003, 08:38 AM
He needs to sit for a while but there is no way in hell you cut him. He'd be snapped up in a heartbeat. Maybe they should send him to a sports pshyciatrist. He did not have the dropsies in college or last year. Heck, he was not even dropping balls in pre-season this year.

I think he had the huge drop on opening day that drew all kinds of attention and that made him start pressing which led to more drops which has snowballed into a total loss of confidence.

rob040604
10-06-2003, 08:49 AM
This guy will be OK. But, let's give Coleman the nod for the next few weeks. Moulds took 3 years and the first Reed took a couple as well.

justasportsfan
10-06-2003, 08:57 AM
Cut him? Geez, imagine if we cut Moulds when he wasn't playing well in his first 2 yrs. :rolleyes:

samhain1961
10-06-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by rob040604
This guy will be OK. But, let's give Coleman the nod for the next few weeks. Moulds took 3 years and the first Reed took a couple as well.

Exactly.
Many ofyou calling for his head on a pike, seem to have very short memories.
Moulds was considered to be a big under achiever his first 2 or 3 seasons here & many were calling him a wasted draft pick. Well, look at him now.

Same thing with Price. Before last year he was being referred to as a bust as well.

For some reason we just don't seem to have the luxury of drafting wideouts who come in as rookies as light things up right away like a randy Moss. Our guys take time to develop.

With all this said, I DO think Reed needs to be benched for a bit. At least taken out of the top three positions. He's not doing the team or himself any good out there.
Some guys can "work through their slumps" & some guys need to take a step or two back & recompose themselves. Reed appears to be the latter type.

So, take him out of the spotlight , let him get his head together & I'm sure he'll be fine somewhere down the line.

NC-BILLS44
10-06-2003, 09:28 AM
Patience, Grasshopper.

elltrain22
10-06-2003, 10:29 AM
You know i can't believe i am saying this b/c i am a big Josh Reed fan, but this guy is totally underachieveing. His speed is awful, he is not getting open much (which causes alot Bledsoe sacks), and of course he has dropped balls that pee-wee leaguers can catch. Pressure obviously effects him, and he has certainly not responded to any of his lofty expectations. Sitting him right now is the right answer. This kid has gotta get his head straight, and start making plays. The question is who takes his place, hmmmmmmmmmm..... how bout Antonio Brown. Brown runs a 4.18 forty, and what could hurt putting a track star like Brown out there.

I hope Reed can snap out of this, and i think sitting him out could only help the team and him.

WCoastFin
10-06-2003, 03:33 PM
Reed sucks, he should be demoted....then again hes the second best by default. lol

helmetguy
10-06-2003, 07:17 PM
Limit his playing time, but don't bench him completely. Put him in positions where he won't be prone to looking to make "THE BIG PLAY." Concentration and confidence are really the only problems with him. Shaw will be just fine in the 2nd spot.

BillsOwnAll
10-06-2003, 07:21 PM
hes a GOOD #3 reciviver. so put em there! Shaw can ahndle the 2 spot.

Sennsai
10-06-2003, 09:32 PM
I would move Reed all the way down to # 4 at WR. Shaw at # 2 and I would seriously consider giving more PT to the speedster Brown