PDA

View Full Version : 2 Things that will Guarantee Offensive Success

RedEyE
10-05-2003, 05:11 PM
Let me preface first.......it's a win. Regardless of how ugly and painful it was, the Bills maintained the tie for the AFCE today. The offense was still shakey but it has started to click once more. Perhaps this will be the momentum the offense needs to build on. Increase confidence and production will rise.

Two key factors should be taken to guarantee future offensive success:

#1: Run the ball. Most of us have said it all year and still Henry is not getting the touches that he deserves. The running game needs to be the backbone of this team. Bledsoe is entirely to perdictable and immobile, the pass block to pourous for this to be a passing team. Henry should have broken 100 yards today if the play calling was a touch more conservative in the 1st half.

#2: Bench Josh Reed. Do you want to know why Campbell has been the main reciever over the middle? Ask Josh Reed and his endless count of dropped footballs this season. Replace him with WR Clarence Coleman. Coleman did extremely well in preseason and has to be able to catch the ball better than Reed. Reed should be Bledsoe's "goto" guy when Moulds is covered deep. His routes have also been piss poor.

Notes:
Gilbride, again, continues to use the pass to open the run. G. Williams may have stepped in at half time and put and end to that nonsense (although I completely doubt he had the balls to do it). The offense suddenly started having more success when concentrating on the run........that didn't happen until the second half. Williams may have finally put his foot down behind closed doors.

Moulds....Despite the rather important dropped pass in the first half, and the lame offensive pass interference call, Eric played a great game. Was there for the team in a time of need and did what he was ultimately suppose to do.

Bledsoe......the OL might be weak, the play calling might be ****ty, but Bledsoe is not getting rid of the ball quick enough. I think it has a lot to do with the things I mentioned earlier....lack of confidence in Reed, passing 2 out of every 4 plays, weak pass block.........regardles of all that Bledsoe has tried his best to show us his impression of Rob Johnson. 25 - 26 other QBs in the league know that they have around 3 seconds to get rid of the football. Bledsoe's internal clock must be screwy as hell because he thinks he has around 5 -7 seconds to ditch the ball. His sack count will prove otherwise. In addition, I've noticed that when he is throwing the ball, his feet are not planted and he's launching it off his back foot most of the time. Who's the QB coach (something tells me it's Gilbride :rolleyes: )? Get back to the basics for Drew.

Run defense. They have some horrible averages pinned to them and I think that the averages don't tell the whole story. I believe that the run defense has been decent, and it's the time of possesion and stupid penalties drawing out those YPC averages for opposing teams. If things go accordingly this will be proven in the later half of the season.

Coy Wire......love his intensity - hate his youth. He made a newbie mistake today that nearly cost the Bills the game.

Moorman.....rocks!

Antonio Brown.......actually ran forward today, but what was he thinking when he didn't call that punt a fair catch. He nearly had his helmet taken clear off and could have lost the ball. I like his speed but he makes poor decisions on the field. I think McGee (not McGahee) should be returning kicks if adjustments aren't made.

Lindell..........Does anyone else cringe when this guy lines up to kick. I just haven't seen enough out of him yet to give him my confidence.

The wind.......who ****ing cares. This is Buffalo and the weather is the 12 th and 13th man. 13 mph gusts aren't ****.Wait until December. Am I wrong?

Jeff Burris..........I can only hope that his injury is not as severe as it looked. To see a guy just drop limp like that makes your stomach twist and turn. I pray for his safe return.

stuckincincy
10-05-2003, 05:19 PM
:lolcry: Good analysis.

billsfan80
10-05-2003, 05:52 PM
bravo real good job

mybills
10-05-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by RedEyE
Coy Wire......love his intensity - hate his youth. He made a newbie mistake today that nearly cost the Bills the game.

Jeff Burris..........I can only hope that his injury is not as severe as it looked. To see a guy just drop limp like that makes your stomach twist and turn. I pray for his safe return.

Coy cost us dearly today, as did Teague. Burris looked a lot like Prioleau last week when he tried to tackle McNabb. Stone wall all the way, only Burris took the injury. I hope he's ok too, but being taken off the field in an ambulance doesn't look good. I just hope it's not a spinal injury when everyone at the bar was thinking it was a dislocated shoulder or a broken collar bone. :(

shelby
10-05-2003, 06:30 PM
Good post BAMF.

Wire is my boy, but he needs a slap upside the head for the expensive personal foul.:cynic:

:evil:...when Burris was being carted off the field, he gave a thumbs up. Hopefully he's ok.

The_Philster
10-05-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by shelby
Good post BAMF.

Wire is my boy, but he needs a slap upside the head for the expensive personal foul.:cynic:

:evil:...when Burris was being carted off the field, he gave a thumbs up. Hopefully he's ok.

Yeah...I didn't hear until we got to the lot who it was. Thankfully he was OK :up:

colin
10-05-2003, 09:41 PM
We have massive trouble running the ball, our passing game has to bail out our running game all the time.

Travis has some decent bursts, but HORRIBLE errors (dropped pitch, fumble, dropped pass).

Reed runs fine routes, he just drops terribly (we should get Coleman in there a bit).

You are totally wrong about Bledsoe holding the ball, he did not over hold it at all today. Our Tackles are undersetting (as opposed to oversetting, lining up wide and back) it seems (I know Williams is) to stay tight to the guards, they need to to be able to punch forward at all, that is what is letting the ends get around them. Bledsoe is still, along with moulds who had some dumb ass errors today too, our best player. Drops hurt us, not him today.

TigerJ
10-05-2003, 10:09 PM
Running the ball: Today was a step in the right direction. Ordinarily I would say it's not enough, but with Henry's ribs still hurting, I'm not sure how much more I would have run him. Behind Henry, with Morris still out, I don't know how much confidence Buffalo has in anyone else.

On benching Reed: I agree a temporary benching might do him some good. It would also give the #4 and 5 guys some plays which might be a good thing. I wouldn't write Reed off long term though. There's no reason to believe he can't work through his sophomore slump and become a very good NFL WR.

On Moulds: He's doing exactly what we expect of an elite receiver.

On Bledsoe: Yeah, you're right, but he's not gonna change. I just hope Buffalo can eventually get better line play.

On the run defence: It has'nt been as bad as the stats suggest. Against NE Buffalo gave up running yards late when focussing on pass defence. Against Miami, Buffalo gave up yards in big chunks late when they were very tired due to Miami's time of possession. Against Philadelphia, Buffalo gave up the big 62 yard TD run to Westbrook when in a stacked defensive front. It was the kind of defensive formation which will either stuff the run completely or give up the big play. It's not a formation that a team would use unless desperate. Westbrook's run skewed the average. Buffalo had shut down the run otherwise. Rudi John'son's running stats were OK for Cincinnati, but overall Buffalo held them to under 3 yards per carry.

On Wire: Yup

On Moorman: Most of the time he's great. He does give you that occasional shanked punt that maks you want to pull your hair out, but on balance he's a keeper.

Antonio Brown: He was better today. If he keeps improving, I want his speed to give Buffalo the home run threat. McGee seems to have talent for the return game though.

Lindell: What's the problem with Lindell? He's made 3 of 4 FG attempts. He hasn't missed a PAT yet. He kicked off into the end zone today and got a touch back (albeit wind aided). We haven't seen that very often from a Buffalo kicker, wind aided or otherwise. What does he have to do to gain your confidence?

Wind: One way or the other it is a factor. On balance it probably hlped the Bills today. It was a huge factor in the overtime in Buffalo's favor.

The biggest thing I worried about with Burris was paralysis. I was greatlly relieved to see the thumbs up from him. That told me his spinal cord wasn't affected. Anything else they can fix pretty much.

RedEyE
10-05-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by colin
We have massive trouble running the ball, our passing game has to bail out our running game all the time.

Travis has some decent bursts, but HORRIBLE errors (dropped pitch, fumble, dropped pass).

Reed runs fine routes, he just drops terribly (we should get Coleman in there a bit).

You are totally wrong about Bledsoe holding the ball, he did not over hold it at all today. Our Tackles are undersetting (as opposed to oversetting, lining up wide and back) it seems (I know Williams is) to stay tight to the guards, they need to to be able to punch forward at all, that is what is letting the ends get around them. Bledsoe is still, along with moulds who had some dumb ass errors today too, our best player. Drops hurt us, not him today.

I'm not just knocking Drew. I like him and I think he is a perfect fit for the Bills. I am, however, questioning the offensive play calling. Gilbride has been so stubborn about changing his play calling. If receivers are dropping passes, the opposing defenses are throwing relentless blitzes, and Drew is taking a beating, then it's time to question the play book! Now, I'm not sure what you saw today, but allow me to tell you what I saw.

I was seeing Henry making plays. The OL was opening holes and Henry was squirming for extra yardage. You could see it from the first time Henry touched the football today. It took until the second half for the coaches to realize that the run was working while the pass continued to fail.

Gilbride has been using the pass to open the run for several years now, that's his offensive scheme. I don't like it. The run should be your bread and butter reverting to the pass when necessary. Balance the attack on every set of downs, not over an entire game. Drew is an in the pocket QB and should not be expected to carry the entire offense. On a good day a good QB will complete 75% of their passes, on a good day. Passing on first downs allows too much room for error(something that all of us have seen way too much of).

I would like to see the pressure taken off of Bledsoe and put on the running team. Whether it's Henry, Burns, Gash, McGahee, Simonton, etc..... just run the damn ball and use that to open the pass. Always make a defense stop your running team first. That's strong, iron man football.

Running the ball is a problem because it's not being done enough. This OL has a new coach and a new guard to gel with. It's going to take time and patience to get it together, but first it just has to be done. I think that the rush block was excellent today and hopefully the coaches saw that too.

Game 1: Henry rushes over 25 x = Bills win / Game 2: Henry rushes 25 = Bills win / Game 3: Henry rushes the ball 9x = Bills loss / Game 4: (Henry injured) Bills rush the ball 10 x = Bills loss / Game 5: Henry 25 rushes = Bills win.

What some fail to realize: Running the ball controls the clock and the momentum of the game. The run is not instantaneous for every team. Some running backs like Jamal Lewis and Preist Holmes can take the ball and get 100-200 yards a game. Others, like Henry and Ahman Green chip away at defenses, exahuasting them and gaining the big yards later in the game.