PDA

View Full Version : DB play too conservative?

stuckincincy
10-05-2003, 05:11 PM
I thought the DB play was a bit too conservative.

Cincy's been running that short offense all season (and I think they're right to do so in their situation, along with staying the course regarding running the ball).

I would liked to have seen the Bills take a few chances for the int on those short routes.

I am surprised the B'gals didn't heave a few long'uns, tho, when the wind was with them.

Ingtar33
10-05-2003, 05:27 PM
Very simple... here's a bit of football 101...

the Bills run the 46 defense (sort off... I see little of the 46 out of them anymore... their D looks closer to that “thing” the eagles run to me than the 46 the titans run)... but the one standard of the 46 is 8 men in the box

When you have 8 men in the box that leave just 1 safety over the top. Now, in the NFL, you are inviting getting destroyed with the deep ball with just 1 safety back like that.

The result is that in order to not give away what you are doing (vital when you pack the box like the Bills do) you must present a very similar look in the Defensive backfield on EVERY play. Since our base look is 8 men in the box, the Bills play their corners back (like EVERY team who stacks the box with 8 does), turning them into quasi safeties.

You bring those corners up to the line, and you HAVE to bring the SS out of the box... that’s a simple physical limitation to defensive play calling.

RedEyE
10-05-2003, 05:27 PM
Good point Stuckincincy. The DBs were seemingly conservative today. Playing of Warrick and Johnson like they were lining up against a Randy Moss, Terrell Owens tandem. However, I like the defensive play calling when Cincy would find themselves inside our 20. There were several all out blitzes thrown at Kitna, confusing him and ultimately he would rush the pass.

stuckincincy
10-05-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
Very simple... here's a bit of football 101...

the Bills run the 46 defense (sort off... I see little of the 46 out of them anymore... their D looks closer to that “thing” the eagles run to me than the 46 the titans run)... but the one standard of the 46 is 8 men in the box

When you have 8 men in the box that leave just 1 safety over the top. Now, in the NFL, you are inviting getting destroyed with the deep ball with just 1 safety back like that.

The result is that in order to not give away what you are doing (vital when you pack the box like the Bills do) you must present a very similar look in the Defensive backfield on EVERY play. Since our base look is 8 men in the box, the Bills play their corners back (like EVERY team who stacks the box with 8 does), turning them into quasi safeties.

You bring those corners up to the line, and you HAVE to bring the SS out of the box... that’s a simple physical limitation to defensive play calling.

Ah, I see. I understand the disguise aspect as you explain it . But it seems that such a scheme would more or less invite the opponent to methodically keep the sticks moving and maintain posession. Wouldn't a patient offense, then, generally have a pretty fair chance of more potential scoring opportunities throughout the game?

I recall some Cleveland teams in the past (I think it was when Brian Sipe was QB...maybe Kosar?) that was given the moniker "rubber band defense - bends but doesn't break." I wonder if was some variation of what you describe...or just good fortune?