PDA

View Full Version : What happened today?

Mad Bomber
10-05-2003, 05:27 PM
Somebody help me out...

This afternoon I was driving from New Hampshire to NY, and I listened to the fins kicking the crap out of the Jints. The only news I got on the Bills games were occasional score updates. Sounds like we sucked wind! At the Connecticut visitors center I got the guy to give me the halftime stats...Drew was 5 of 17?

At the beginning of the season, I was expecting us to be 2-2 after the first 4 games. I expected us to lose to the fins and Iggles. What bothered me before today was the WAY we lost our last two games. What bothers me now is that we appear to have continued our offensive ineptitude into a third week.

I didn't see the game though; can some of you who did see it let me know:

1) Is our offense as inept as it sounds?
2) Did we make a lot of stupid mistakes today?
3) Are we going to have a good chance against the Jest next week if we played like we did today?

Ingtar33
10-05-2003, 05:47 PM
8 dropped passes (and we're talking BADLY dropped)

horrible wind that made scoring going into it imposible (the FG at the end of the game to put the game into OT was the only scoring into the wind all game by either team).

The cinci D-line owned our O-line most of the game.

The Natrix
10-05-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Mad Bomber
Is our offense as inept as it sounds?

Yes. This offense has turned into a SanFran type offense. They have Garcia to Owens and not much else. The Bills have Bledsoe to Moulds and not much else. I really want to see what Willis has because Reed and Henry are not pulling their wieght.

Mad Bomber
10-05-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix

Yes. This offense has turned into a SanFran type offense. They have Garcia to Owens and not much else. The Bills have Bledsoe to Moulds and not much else. I really want to see what Willis has because Reed and Henry are not pulling their wieght.

Natrix:
As someone who has had knee surgery, I wouldn't put too much stock in Willis making a contribution this year. We need to wait until next year. If he tries to come back this year we risk a career-ending hit.

Take this from someone who has been there....his leg muscles aren't at full strength, and the ligaments and tendons are one good hit away from being permanently blown away. I say WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR!

Ingtar33
10-05-2003, 06:27 PM
it took me nearly 2 years to come back from a knee injury (non-football related), and i never really recovered, as i was forced to switch possitions. But then again surgery and techniques have come a VERY long way from 1990...

However the word I'm hearing is that Willis is completely healed... of course that is NFL scuttlebutt, and may or may not be true.

shelby
10-05-2003, 06:27 PM
How did Henry not pull his weight?!?!?! He had 25 rushing attempts for 85 yards, 2 receptions for 14 yards, one rushing TD, one receiving TD, and a fumble recovery. The one fumble he had was a forced fumble. For a man still hurting from injury, i'd say he had a decent game.
:cynic:

SABURZFAN
10-05-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Ingtar33

that seems like the story in EVERY game.the OL is pathetic.

The Natrix
10-05-2003, 06:36 PM
shelby, yes he hit the hole when it was there but he has shown time and time again that he can't make something out of nothing.

Yes, surgery has come along way, plus, I can assure you that he had some of the best doctors in the world.

I don't want to see him wait untill net year. It is clear that this team needs a spark. Henry is a good back but I think Willis can elavate this team to new hieghts.

Face it, Drew and Moulds have ZERO upside. Therefore this team needs to win the SB THIS YEAR. Everyone talks about the phenom DE that will solve all problems next year. Give me a break. Drew and Moulds will be on the downside of their career and Winfield may be gone.

Halbert
10-05-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by shelby
How did Henry not pull his weight?!?!?! He had 25 rushing attempts for 85 yards, 2 receptions for 14 yards, one rushing TD, one receiving TD, and a fumble recovery. The one fumble he had was a forced fumble. For a man still hurting from injury, i'd say he had a decent game.
:cynic:
Hell yeah. I'm tickled with 85 rushing yards. Note he's also making the big plays at key times. The fumble was disappointing but otherwise he was on today. Excellent gut check game for Henry.

shelby
10-05-2003, 06:40 PM
Respectfully...i have to disagree with you about EMo. From what i've seen, he still has what it takes...but Drew is struggling, and EMo is his safety valve.

i understand your point about Travis, but i am not sold on replacing him with McGahee. Frankly, i don't think McGahee will be ready. Give Travis some time....he knows he's in the hot seat. Perhaps if the O line were tweaked a bit, it would make the difference.

shelby
10-05-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Halbert
Hell yeah. I'm tickled with 85 rushing yards. Note he's also making the big plays at key times. The fumble was disappointing but otherwise he was on today. Excellent gut check game for Henry.

Hal and i see eye to eye. Too bad he's kicking my ass in fantasy football this weekend.:sadwalk:

The Natrix
10-05-2003, 06:49 PM
Respectfully...i have to disagree with you about EMo. From what i've seen, he still has what it takes...but Drew is struggling, and EMo is his safety valve.

i understand your point about Travis, but i am not sold on replacing him with McGahee. Frankly, i don't think McGahee will be ready. Give Travis some time....he knows he's in the hot seat. Perhaps if the O line were tweaked a bit, it would make the difference.

Am I confident that Willis will be better than Henry this year? No.

Do I think the Bills can win the SB without Willis coming on and exploding? No.

There are teams who can clearly win the SB without a RB w/ the potential of WM. Buffalo is not one of them.

Sorry, I am not one to think about next year. I want the Bills to Win the SB this year. Period.

shelby
10-05-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix
Am I confident that Willis will be better than Henry this year? No.

Do I think the Bills can win the SB without Willis coming on and exploding? No.

There are teams who can clearly win the SB without a RB w/ the potential of WM. Buffalo is not one of them.

Sorry, I am not one to think about next year. I want the Bills to Win the SB this year. Period.

Nate, i respect your intensity....but i think that, realistically speaking, the Bills will not win the SB this year, McGahee or no.

At this point, i'd be satisfied with 10-6.

Halbert
10-05-2003, 06:57 PM
Too bad he's kicking my ass in fantasy football this weekend.:sadwalk:
Did I? I didn't even check that yet. I don't pay for the live scoring so I just wait until late Sunday or Monday to look. It's over all ready? I had to play several longer shots so I was worried how they'd do.

shelby
10-05-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Halbert
Did I? I didn't even check that yet. I don't pay for the live scoring so I just wait until late Sunday or Monday to look. It's over all ready? I had to play several longer shots so I was worried how they'd do.

i don't have the live scoring either. But, comparing our teams, i think you've got me beat.

Halbert
10-05-2003, 07:11 PM

i think that, realistically speaking, the Bills will not win the SB this year, McGahee or no.

At this point, i'd be satisfied with 10-6.
Wow, our eye to eye lasted a whole 6 minutes. :laughter:

I honestly think the Bills have a reasonable shot at winning the SB. No more so than perhaps a dozen other teams but they have the ingredients to at least be able to get hot and make a run deep into the playoffs. As NE clearly demonstrated, just about any team can get hot. It will probably take a couple decades for everything to line up the way it did for those Pats but if the Bills got half of that luck they'd be in fine shape.

I'm surprised to say it but the key appears to be the offensive line. It's been three games now where they have pretty much sucked most of the time. I thought Henry got most of his yardage on his own today and the pass pressure on Drew was often instantaneous. For a unit that looked like it was going to be a strength they've been stunningly inconsistent (to be kind). They can come around but right now it looks shaky.

LtBillsFan66
10-05-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
8 dropped passes (and we're talking BADLY dropped)

horrible wind that made scoring going into it imposible (the FG at the end of the game to put the game into OT was the only scoring into the wind all game by either team).

That sums it up right there...

Halbert
10-05-2003, 07:25 PM

i don't have the live scoring either. But, comparing our teams, i think you've got me beat.
I don't know but by my rough count it doesn't look like either team did very well so far.

I Still have Harrison and Zereoue and you have Burress and Pollard. I think it could go either way.