PDA

View Full Version : Fire Coy Wire, not Gregg Williams

casdhf
10-06-2003, 07:13 AM
I say he goes, he hasn't done a positive thing this season.

jdbillsfan
10-06-2003, 07:23 AM
I was going to say he is a decent special teams player, but after Sunday I am not sure I would go that far.

Almost cost the whole game. Momentum had totally shifted to our favor after scoring and stopping them on 3 and out.

justasportsfan
10-06-2003, 07:35 AM
Drew has had more mental lapses than Coy Wire throught 5 games. Let's fire Drew as well. Hey, Reed hasn't shown much either, let's fire him too. Mike Williams? For a 4th pick in the draft, he's getting bunrned on those pass plays, Fire his fat ass.

I know. move the entire team to the west coast.

Ð
10-06-2003, 07:37 AM
Hey, didn't we try the West Coast Offense ? We all know how that worked out.

justasportsfan
10-06-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Ð
Hey, didn't we try the West Coast Offense ? We all know how that worked out. AHa, we tried "playing" w/ the WCO, but have we tried "moving" the team to the West Coast?

Novacane
10-06-2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by casdhf

You have not been watching the games very closely. Wire has been a standout on special teams. He makes one boneheaded play and we should cut him? :rolleyes:

justasportsfan
10-06-2003, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green

You have not been watching the games very closely. Wire has been a standout on special teams. He makes one boneheaded play and we should cut him? :rolleyes:

Why not? Let's fire every player that's had a bonehead play. That means the entire team. Except for AVP. He's the best player on this team. Oh and keep the Janitor.

Ð
10-06-2003, 08:41 AM
Yeah we need a source for who's getting fired next :D

NC-BILLS44
10-06-2003, 09:28 AM
Patience, Grasshopper.

samhain1961
10-06-2003, 09:32 AM

LOL! :bandwagon

Historian
10-06-2003, 09:38 AM

He's a very good ball player who rends to play with reckless abandon...sometimes to a fault. Maybe he just needs to put a bit more control and thought into his game, for his own personal health as well as the good of the team.:up:

Ð
10-06-2003, 09:47 AM
Actually, for those of you who follow hockey, he reminds me of a young Wendell Clark or Todd Gill.

Yikes! I just realized that Gill has been playing in the NHL for 19 years :eek:

Judge
10-06-2003, 12:00 PM
Steve Tasker said on WNSA this morning that Wire's technique was poor on the block punt attempt. He put the blame clearly on Wire.

Ð
10-06-2003, 12:04 PM
Yep, it's like basketball. If you're "sold out" in the air (and out of control), a smart player can draw the foul 8 out of 10 times.

Ebenezer
10-06-2003, 12:07 PM
It was still a stupid call...you don't go for the block when you are up by 7, at home, in the 4th quater, in bad weather. Makes no sense.

colin
10-06-2003, 12:09 PM
Bad call?

The only thing bad was the horrible play by Coy, who makes a ton of errors.

Someone (I think on this thread) made a very true comment about fans going gaga over mediocre players, this is that.

helmetguy
10-06-2003, 01:55 PM
Why would you attempt a high risk play in the first place; particularly when you don't NEED to make that play? As always, GW & Co. wanted to show the world what strategic geniuses they really are, so they gambled...and LOST...AGAIN!!!!

When asked about that play, what did GW say? H ebasically told Wire to "go for it...but if it isn't there, pull off." What guy, once assigned to "make the play..." is going to admit it wasn't there? Especially a second year guy, while he's flying through the air?

Once it was academic, and the Bills won anyway...IN SPITE of GW's genius, what did GW do? He sold out Wire. He blamed Wire for not making the "correct decision."

Here's how it appeared in Jerry Sullivan's Column:

Then there was Williams' weekly exercise in out-thinking himself. Early in the fourth quarter, with the Bills leading, 13-6, the Bengals were forced to punt from their own 40.

There was no reason to take chances, but Williams decided to pressure the punter. Coy Wire tried to block the punt and crashed into Nick Harris. Wire got whistled for a 15-yard penalty, giving the Bengals the ball back. They scored their only TD seven plays later.

It was reminiscent of the fake punt in Jacksonville - a daring special teams play, called at precisely the wrong time.

"What we did was, we were trying to rush him," Williams said. "In that middle-of-the-area situation, as far as not letting them down the ball inside the 20, we tried to put eight in the box, go after him. Coy's got to pull off on that thing. There's no reason when you're that far away. We're trying to quickly get him to where he can't try to hang it in the air, try to make him punt it off quick, and we didn't execute it very well."

As usual, it wasn't a matter of coaching, but of execution. Wire made a mistake, the way Sammy Morris messed up the fake punt and Henry botched the halfback option pass.

How much more if this buck passing has to go on before anyone gets it?

venis2k1
10-06-2003, 02:19 PM
Wire is our special teams ace, the guy is a sure tackler on kick offs. not to mention a VERY good back up at SS.

TedMock
10-06-2003, 02:22 PM
You're taught as a small child in your early years of playing football that you do not hit the kicker when in punt block mode. How on earth could GW possibly take blame for that? It was stupid on Wire's part and I just don't see any other excuse for it. It's football 101 and I'm sure Coy's played several years of his life including many on special teams. You tell the DE to go after the QB but make sure you let up if he releases the ball. It's the same common sense philosophy. We don't blame the coach on the player getting a stupid roughing the passer call. Wire needs to go 100% but also stay in control.

The_Philster
10-06-2003, 06:38 PM

My thoughts exactly. Even Tasker made some bone-headed plays on special teams.

helmetguy
10-06-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by TedMock
You're taught as a small child in your early years of playing football that you do not hit the kicker when in punt block mode.

REALLY??? Damn! That's news to me!!! I mean, in 40 years, nobody ever told me that!!!

Wire barrelled into the punter, sure. But, since that was a set play, as GW made obvious that it was, did Wire just take it upon himself to eschew all "Football 101" principles and go high for the block? Did he just forget? Or didn't they practice it enough so that he would instinctively go low for the block?

While we're talking "Football 101," look up the part that says how you practice is how you'll play on game day.

Demon
10-06-2003, 09:48 PM

Umm.......... the Cory Wire penalty was GREGG WILLIAMS' fault as much as it was Wire's. WHY RISK it when they are punting? I know a blocked punt is good, but its WAY too risky. Most teams just attack and lay off when they see its not a fake. Williams had our special team go full out at the punter to block the punt. Big mistake. Fire Williams.

helmetguy
10-06-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Demon
Umm.......... the Cory Wire penalty was GREGG WILLIAMS' fault as much as it was Wire's. WHY RISK it when they are punting? I know a blocked punt is good, but its WAY too risky. Most teams just attack and lay off when they see its not a fake. Williams had our special team go full out at the punter to block the punt. Big mistake. Fire Williams.

Thanx, Demon!

Demon
10-06-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy

Thanx, Demon!

lol actually i posted basicially all that you did. I only read the first 2-3 posts and responded without reading the rest. My bad.

casdhf
10-07-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Demon

Thats ******ed. Under your logic, when Ruben Brown gets a holding penalty Williams should be fired for calling a pass play. If Wire would have dove flat out instead of 10 feel in the air, he would have blocked the kick and been a hero.

helmetguy
10-07-2003, 06:28 PM
Thats ******ed. Under your logic, when Ruben Brown gets a holding penalty Williams should be fired for calling a pass play. If Wire would have dove flat out instead of 10 feel in the air, he would have blocked the kick and been a hero.

******ed? Not at all!

I'm guessing that analysis isn't one of your strong suits. I'm here to help:

You can not compare what Reuben Brown does ROUTINELY with a specialty play such as a blitz on a punt rush.

It is indeed possible that Wire could have been a "hero" had he blocked the punt.

Sustaining offense was a difficult proposition for the Bills all afternoon, but not quites as difficult for Cincinnati.
(Follow me so far?)

Buffalo had a precarious 7-point lead, and had just succeeded in forcing Cincy to punt.

Williams' explanation was that, had the high-risk, low percentage gambit succeeded, it would prevent Cincy from pinning Buffalo deep in its own end, going into the wind. It is this very point that makes Williams' the goat:
1. He did not weigh the possibility of the gambit failing.
2. He did not show any faith in the offense, particularly the running game, that they could sustain any kind of drive at that point.
3. He failed to consider the effect it would have on the defense by having them have to go back on the field after they had already succeeded in stopping that drive.

The point is, Williams' awareness of game situations is woefully deficient. He seems to being playing chess-solitaire. He outwits himself by taking such high risks. Had the punt block been a more routine sort of play call, it is probable that Wire would not have pressed a bad position. Experience teaches.

Recognize, too, that this type of unnecessary risk taking isn't just a one time deal. With GW, it is a chronic affliction.