PDA

View Full Version : Playing the 0-4 Jets

LABillsFan
10-06-2003, 03:43 PM
The Bills squeeked one out against the 1-3 Bengals at home, now they have to go against the 0-4 Jets in NY who always play the Bills tough. The Jets are playing to save face from a rather disasterous start and are looking to rebound from a home loss to Dallas before their bye week.

The Jets defense is giving up an average of 174 yards a game including 202 on 41 carries by Dallas and teams are holding them to a mere 52.3 ypg. Buffalo will once again be challenged to run the ball. They are still looking for consistancy out of the running game and Bills opponents have shown that this is the key to stopping them.

Ted Cotrell has had a week to work on his run defense that will face a Bills team that is struggling for every yard they gain. A 4:15 start time at the Meadowlands this time of year means a windy game that will effect both teams passing game. The Jets have not shown they can stop the run at all and KG should be able to mix up his play calling if the offensive line can establish itself early in the game. The Jets meanwhile, have fallen behind in games and have had to rely on Testeverdes arm. He has shown he can still throw the ball but passing yards don't necessarily mean points as the Jets have shown. If Martin finds himself having a good game and the Jets keep the game close, look for those Bills killing screen passes and dump offs which will keep the Jets in the game and put pressure on Bledsoe and the Bills offense to score.

Even though the Jets are winless they are not an automatic win. They will be better prepared and no matter what the records are, this match up is always a close game. It would be easy to take the Jets in this game concidering they are 8-3 ats since 1992 and have given up the ball only 3 times in the last 4 games against The Bills, where as The Bills have turned the ball over 12 times.

It will be up to The Bills front 4 to play smart football and not to over pursue in order to keep Martin in check and make Testeverde put it up for grabs. The Jets don't have the players to score quickly and this is not the same team the has won 3 out of the last 4 meetings. If the Bills can establish the run in the first half and Reed remembers how to catch, the Jets will be forced into what they've experienced in their first four games.

justasportsfan
10-06-2003, 04:00 PM
Ever since the O played like it did against the fins. Every game since then scares me. I knew there would be a chance that the eagles would beat us and I knew the bengals game wouldn't be easy. The Jets may be hurting but our O isn't scaring anyone either.

This team has been riding the back of the D because the O is in shambles right now. The roles have reversed from last year.

LABillsFan
10-06-2003, 05:06 PM
The last 3 games makes me feel the same way Justa. There has not been any steady improvement from the line and until that happens the Bills are a week to week team no matter who they play. This game has more potential to be a loss than last week because it is a divisional game and in the AFCE there is a proven track record that no matter what the standings are, any team can beat the other

snow1989
10-06-2003, 05:38 PM
I've only seen one game this year because I've been deployed (soon to change), so I can't speak too much from viewing the line, only from what I've read, the stats, and our game threads (thank you people!) etc...but from my view the game will be decided by the front four on both sides...both qb's are immobile, neither running game has been stellar....so whichever front four stuffs then run then can put some heat on the qb's has a decent chance of winning it

LABillsFan
10-06-2003, 06:21 PM
It's a tough game to judge, Buffalo hasn't proved it can run any better than the Jets have proved they can stop it. This part of the game could be a wash. The jets have been playing from behind which is why their run production is down, however they are protecting VT very well and he has been able to spread the ball around. To win the game the Bills either have to have production by the D line and get to Testeverde or the offensive line has to take control of the game and wear the Jets down. I think it's all up to the O line because VT will be dumping the Ball off to Martin or hitting his receivers if the Bills start blitzing. The Bills D is capable of not letting the game get out of hand but the offense has to be able to give them a rest and put points on the board.

helmetguy
10-06-2003, 06:34 PM
The last three games all appear the same. That is, we're making the same damned mistakes. It's as though the coaching staff doesn't look at the films of our games, just the films of the upcoming opponents. I guess we don't have any glaring weaknesses; "we've just got to get better in that area..."

Billzz
10-06-2003, 06:37 PM
Have they stated Vinny is definetly starting? Be cautious of a desperate team looking for a spark.

LABillsFan
10-06-2003, 08:11 PM
Pennington just started throwing today and I'm sure they won't announce anything until the last min.. I don't see him being ready to start this week, but could be dressed just in case something happens to Vinny. If Pennington does start that could be such a huge boost to their moral. I'm sure just the sight of him back in practice has them feeling a little bit better.

jbisset
10-06-2003, 08:40 PM
Playing a team without a win after week 4 is dangerous. They are due a win.

Historian
10-06-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Billzz
Have they stated Vinny is definetly starting? Be cautious of a desperate team looking for a spark.

Especially one that has had two weeks to prepare!:blamelog:

The_Philster
10-06-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Billsology
Especially one that has had two weeks to prepare!:blamelog:

Yeah. And is it just me, or didn't we just deal with a team like that about a week ago? :scratch:

Alien (<>..<>)
10-06-2003, 09:47 PM

Actually the Jets may start Bollinger who was a fourth round pick and has been looking sharp in trainning.
At this point, anything is better than Vinny for us. Let's see how Cotrell and Sam Cowart play (coach) against your team.

Andrea1234
10-06-2003, 09:47 PM
im hoping that we can get the O better then we have been but i guess we have to wait and see

LABillsFan
10-07-2003, 12:33 AM
Whether it's Bollinger or Testeverde the Jets Oline has been good in pass protection and I don't think Edwards would want to put the game into Bollingers hands. I bet there will be a big dose of CM and While the Jets don't have Coles, the still do have good receivers and I'm sure they'll get open with the Bills playing their DB's off the line as much as they will.

SABURZFAN
10-07-2003, 07:36 AM
i won't be surprised if the JETS beat us.our coaching continues to be our achilles heel.

Billzz
10-07-2003, 10:41 AM
While the play thus far points towards a bills win you can never count out pride and heart. We will see if the Jets still have it(which I am sure they do).

Concern would be them throwing in a different QB to confuse the defense and possibly put a scrambler in to take the snaps. Never seen Bollinger play or what style he is. Vinny has a bad half I bet he gets yanked.

BillyGoatGruff
10-07-2003, 02:43 PM
The JESTS are coming off a bye week and they'll be up for this game. Vinny is playing better than Drew at this point. I think this will be another loss for the bills, unfortunately.

eyedog
10-07-2003, 03:34 PM
What really worries me about this game is the referees. I'm dead serious too. Here's why; The Jets are coming off a bye week and are still winless, not good. They are a big market team that is still winless, not good. This week is their season. Another lose and they are finished, not good. Think back to the Philly game a couple of weeks ago. Very similar circumstances and they got f***** bad in that game by the refs. I don't think games are fixed but i do think the league lets these ref crews know what would be beneficial to the league. Yes that league office in NYC run by Tagliabue. I hope I'm wrong, but just watch, they will get the bad end of the stick this Sunday. I hope they have enough to overcome and win.

LABillsFan
10-07-2003, 03:51 PM
Good point eye, there is so much inconsistancy this year in how penalties are called you can't get a feel for the game. I do think there will be alot of flags for this game due to The Bills rep and possibly the Jets being a little rusty. Add that to the fact that they are at home looking for their first win. It just seems like The Bills are going to have to dominate the whole game if they want to walk outta there with a win.

stuckincincy
10-07-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by eyedog
What really worries me about this game is the referees. I'm dead serious too. Here's why; The Jets are coming off a bye week and are still winless, not good. They are a big market team that is still winless, not good. This week is their season. Another lose and they are finished, not good. Think back to the Philly game a couple of weeks ago. Very similar circumstances and they got f***** bad in that game by the refs. I don't think games are fixed but i do think the league lets these ref crews know what would be beneficial to the league. Yes that league office in NYC run by Tagliabue. I hope I'm wrong, but just watch, they will get the bad end of the stick this Sunday. I hope they have enough to overcome and win.

Ah, the cynical viewpoint. And may I add, a good point IMHO.

"Pessimest: By definition, all surprises are good."
"Pragmatists: Kill 'em in the most cost-efficient way possible."
"Optimists: Drown them in a half-full swimming pool. :D"

eyedog
10-07-2003, 04:00 PM
Call it cynical if you want, but I've watched many games in this league and I know it happens. I guess we will know for sure Sunday night.

LABillsFan
10-07-2003, 04:05 PM
With all the tapes being sent into the NFL and a majority of the calls being "overturned" by the league office you can't help but be concerned about the refs contributing to the outcome of a game.

TedMock
10-07-2003, 04:05 PM
The Jets are a division opponent who know us well. They're also desperate for a win. Plus, this game is in their house. This is by no means an automatic 'W'. I fully expect it to be a close game.

snow1989
10-07-2003, 04:07 PM

Concern would be them throwing in a different QB to confuse the defense and possibly put a scrambler in to take the snaps. Never seen Bollinger play or what style he is. Vinny has a bad half I bet he gets yanked.

quite possible... Bollinger isn't a McNabb, or Vick....but then again, he isn't quite as close to cement as Vinnie is

eyedog
10-07-2003, 04:09 PM
I would rather have Bollinger in there. A rookie qb in his first start. Give me that. He will make mistakes.

LABillsFan
10-07-2003, 04:19 PM
Be careful what you wish for. There have been too many times where a relatively unknown QB has come in and shined his first game. Edwards is going to lean on his D and his Oline to get the job done and run very safe high percentage plays that Bollinger can handle. If the Bills however are playing too relaxed I'm sure Bollinger will get the chance to hit some long plays though. They have nothing to lose except another game. They are out of the race so now it's pride and spoiler time.