PDA

View Full Version : Payton Manning proves that pocket passers aren't dinosaurs yet!!

ArcticWildMan
10-07-2003, 12:26 PM
He showed last night that pocket passers aren't a thing of the past. Give a QB a good line and some solid play calling and it's a joy to watch.

I hope our esteemed coaches were watching and take heed. Drew should be able to do the same. We have enough talent.

BillsFever
10-07-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
He showed last night that pocket passers aren't a thing of the past. Give a QB a good line and some solid play calling and it's a joy to watch.

I hope our esteemed coaches were watching and take heed. Drew should be able to do the same. We have enough talent.

The difference is Bledsoe is not Manning.

ArcticWildMan
10-07-2003, 12:33 PM
Get our O-line to play better along with some solid play calling and Bledsoe will have monster numbers.

The Spaz
10-07-2003, 12:35 PM
If our offensive line would just act like last year he would have some pretty huge numbers right now providing that the Wr's don't drop the damn ball!:)

colin
10-07-2003, 12:35 PM
TB destroyed Indy for the first 4 quarters, they just run out of gas and decided the game was allready won.

Race rars can only run so long without refuling, I say the game was 50/50 TB letdown and indy palying great at the end

BillsFever
10-07-2003, 12:36 PM
Drew has had enough time to throw this year. He's making bad decisions and missing WR's.

Drew is just an average QB. He was average his last few years in New England and he's average here. You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

The Spaz
10-07-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by BillsFever
Drew has had enough time to throw this year. He's making bad decisions and missing WR's.

Drew is just an average QB. He was average his last few years in New England and he's average here. You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

I think he had way above average numbers last year!:up:

BillsFever
10-07-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
I think he had way above average numbers last year!:up:

Yeah through the first seven games when we played the cupcakes on our schedule. What did he do after that? He had about 18 TO's the rest of the way.

BillsFever
10-07-2003, 12:44 PM
7 great games and 9 embarassing games doesn't make for a good season in my book.

The Spaz
10-07-2003, 12:44 PM

Yeah through the first seven games when we played the cupcakes on our schedule. What did he do after that? He had about 18 TO's the rest of the way.

The whole offense was bad the 2nd half of the year IMO!:crazed:

BillsFever
10-07-2003, 12:46 PM
The whole offense was bad the 2nd half of the year IMO!:crazed:

It was bad because Drew was pathetic. Henry had most of his yards and TD's in the 2nd half of the year. What happend to Drew in that period?

The Spaz
10-07-2003, 12:48 PM

It was bad because Drew was pathetic. Henry had most of his yards and TD's in the 2nd half of the year. What happend to Drew in that period?

What happened to KG during that time span? This could go on forever therew are a lot worse QB's then Drew I'll tell you that much!:)

TedMock
10-07-2003, 01:04 PM
Look at how much Henry's carries went up at the end of last season. In games 2,3 and 4 he had 12 carries each! I think he's a good back but you're obviously going to get more yardage when you carry 20-25 times as opposed to 12. Also, look at how many attempts Bledsoe had last season.....it was horrible play calling and a very unbalanced offense. Any QB going downfield that many times will wear out. It's not like we ran the WCO with a bunch of 5 yard passes either. Drew only played 1 bad game this year out of 5. He's made a few stupid decisions but overall he's played decent, not great not horrible. I will say that he's starting slow which pisses me off but he gets better as the game goes on. The problem is (with Drew and the whole offense) that we can't afford to keep starting off so slow. Throw in the several drops, poor OL play and Henry and Burns running soft until the Cincy game and it's no wonder it's been disasterous. I don't want 40 attempts and 350 yards every game this year because the O will certainly sputter in the second half. We really need to figure out how to run the ball consistantly and play action more. Hopefully this past weeks 2nd half of play is a sign of things to come.

BillsFever
10-07-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by TedMock
Look at how much Henry's carries went up at the end of last season. In games 2,3 and 4 he had 12 carries each! I think he's a good back but you're obviously going to get more yardage when you carry 20-25 times as opposed to 12. Also, look at how many attempts Bledsoe had last season.....it was horrible play calling and a very unbalanced offense. Any QB going downfield that many times will wear out. It's not like we ran the WCO with a bunch of 5 yard passes either. Drew only played 1 bad game this year out of 5.

Drew is almost just as much to blame for going downfield all the time. How many times does he have to force a pass downfield when there is somebody standing wide open in the flat? He's even done it when the simple play to the flat could've had us a first down.

Against the Dolphins he got picked off in the End Zone forcing a ball to Moulds when Henry could've crawled into the endzone.

Against the Eagles on 3rd and 1 when we desperately need a 1st down he guns it 30 yards downfield to the TE for an incomplete pass. That was all on him there.

He's only had 1 bad game? He was pathetic against the Dolphins. He was terrible for 3 quarters against the Eagles. He was terrible for 3 quarters against the Bengals.

If Drew plays a decent game against the Dolphins or Eagles we win them.

TedMock
10-07-2003, 01:25 PM
The Miami game is the bad game I was referring to. I said he's made some bad decisions and the the pass to Moulds was horrible. I'll never dispute that. The TE pass downfield was a terrible play, unfortunately nobody was in the flat since the RB's stayed in to block. As far as the Eagles game is concerned he threw for 296 and a TD. That didn't include several drops (2 by Shaw, 2 by Reed, 1 by Gash and 1 by Moulds) of which Moulds and Campbell both were guilty of in the endzone. He easily could have and should have had 3 TD's. How do we blame him for the drops? He did make the ultimate bonehead play by throwing it out of bounds, he even said "....it was a stupid, stupid play." He actually played solid that game otherwise. I can pick 2 or 3 stupid throws every single week by every single QB, that's easy. The problem is when you hate a player so much you watch everything with so much more conviction.

BillsFever
10-07-2003, 01:34 PM
0 points till the 4th quarter of the Eagles game.

Passing stats don't mean everything. Over 100 of them yards was in the last 2 drives of the game when the Eagles were playing it safe on defensive and taking time off the clock. He also chucked the ball 46 times.

Tim Couch was near perfect against the Steelers on Sunday but he only had 208 yards passing. Passing yards don't mean crap in most cases.

He was terrible all but 2 drives. Eight straight quarters without ANY offensive points is why we've lost 2 games.

TedMock
10-07-2003, 01:44 PM
I'm not a stats guy at all. My point is that he had a decent game and would've had 2 TD's before 4th quarter had they not been dropped. I said he's been starting off slow and needs to fix that. He played well in the 3rd and 4th quarter of the Philly game. He's had his moments of bad, no argument here but to put more blame on him than anyone else just doesn't seem to make sense. What about the piss poor blocking most of the game? What about our running backs dancing around and not hitting holes? What about Pucillo getting shoved right into the QB twice against the Eagles on 3rd down and important? The fumble by Shaw sure was a drive killer too. How are these not as critical as the QB missing a guy underneath? It's the whole offense not just one guy.

HenryRules
10-07-2003, 02:07 PM
When did Pocket Passers become dinosaurs?

I can't think of the last Super Bowl winner to not have a pocket passer.

Even someone like Steve Young didn't win until he leared to pass from the pocket.

QB's that are happy to get out of the pocket will never succeed in the playoffs - the defenses are simply too good and can shut you down (Vick may be an exception as he's a better runner than most RB's).

justasportsfan
10-07-2003, 03:04 PM
MEshawn Johnson was mouthing crap about Harrison. KJ 4-64 yards 0 TD's . M. Harrison 11 for 176 2 td's.

Haha! Meshawn ended up looking like an A$$ on national t.v.

justasportsfan
10-07-2003, 03:05 PM
BTW, Brad Johnson " threw an INT for a TD" . Who would've thought such a phrase would exist.

stuckincincy
10-07-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan

Indeed.

I belive the last "scrambling" qb to win the big one was Elway (I wish I has a $ dollar for every time he launched one past the line of scrimmage - IMHO he was considered a WELL-protected species by the refs in that respect.).

Bled's what? 240 lb, 6'4". I'd like to see 'em roll out or pull up out of the pocket now and then and run straightline. DL's, DE's they DO remember that.

The_Philster
10-07-2003, 04:52 PM
If our offensive line would just act like last year he would have some pretty huge numbers right now providing that the Wr's don't drop the damn ball!:)
That's why we need a new RG.

Originally posted by justasportsfan
MEshawn Johnson was mouthing crap about Harrison. KJ 4-64 yards 0 TD's . M. Harrison 11 for 176 2 td's.

Haha! Meshawn ended up looking like an A$$ on national t.v.

What else is new? :snicker:

helmetguy
10-08-2003, 07:45 PM
I'd take a pocket passer like Bledsoe or Manning ANY day over the scrambling media darkings like McNabb, Vick, Stewart (once upon a time), etc. Reason? More consistency when the clock isn't on your side.