PDA

View Full Version : Are fans EVER happy with the head coach?

Tatonka
10-08-2003, 01:36 PM
i can only think of about 5 teams that have fans that are happy about their head coach. you go to any message board, and you will see fans *****ing about the HC.. doesnt matter how good he is.

Indy - they have to be happy right now.
KC - they should finally be happy
denver - everyone loves shanny
vikes - tice is doing well
bucs - questionable after that fold job on monday night.

point is.. if we were 5-0, everyone would be all smiles.. but as soon as a team starts losing, somehow, someway you can bet that some fans will blame the coach for it.. even if it was the idiot qb who threw the pick.. or the idiot lineman who took the sack or took the personal foul... or leaped..

fans are so fickle.:sumo:

LtBillsFan66
10-08-2003, 01:38 PM
I hate fickle fans. I really do.

lordofgun
10-08-2003, 01:56 PM
Can you name more than 1 coach worse than GW? Maybe Wannstedt.

venis2k1
10-08-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
Can you name more than 1 coach worse than GW? Maybe Wannstedt.

Kevin Gilbride in SD.

HenryRules
10-08-2003, 02:14 PM
Off the top of my head:
Herm Edwards
Mike Holmgrem
Butch Davis (and I'm a 'Canes fan)
Dave McGinnis
Dick Jauran
Mike Tice
Marty Schottenheimer (his teams never seemed to do well in the playoffs, now they never seem to do well in the regular season)
Jack Del Rio

TedMock
10-08-2003, 02:17 PM
Tice is doing well but the fans there still seem to dislike him. He had a rough year last season but things are going well now. I think Herm Edwards is very overrated as is Butch Davis. McGinnis and Jauran are just terrible all around.

Miami_Vice
10-08-2003, 02:26 PM
Actually Wannstedt is better than G Dubya..its not saying much but its true.

Miami_Vice
10-08-2003, 02:26 PM
and Dick Lebeau LOL

helmetguy
10-08-2003, 06:36 PM
Even if we were 5-0, I'd still be calling for GW's head. I never have, nor never will. like that arrogant, inept excuse of a Head Coach.

Tatonka
10-08-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
Even if we were 5-0, I'd still be calling for GW's head. I never have, nor never will. like that arrogant, inept excuse of a Head Coach.

i dont believe that if we were 5-0 anyone would be calling for his head.

GG1
10-08-2003, 10:00 PM
Of course the simplest thing to do is blame the coach, because it's obviously his fault that the players drop passes, miss tackles and commit penalties.

However, having said that, you cannot discount the importance a very good head coach has on a team, and I'm sorry to say, but GW has done nothing to justify the bravado he displayed when he first arrived.

My attitude about him has not changed, because he has not delivered. When a coach comes in like he did, with the attitude that things are about to change and that good times were ready to come back, he better deliver.

To me, GW's proclamations were not in the Parcells vein. I recall precisely my feeling at that time of his hiring, "Oh my, this guy reminds me of Buddy Ryan in Arizona." Don't know if any of you caught Buddy's press conference when he stood at the podium and proudly proclaimed that "You've got a winner in town." Not many people bought the line, and surely Buddy was gone shortly thereafter.

Granted GW hasn't had a full deck to play with (on the roster I mean). But we have not seen marked improvements in the little things that separate good head coaches from Richie Kotites. I have yet to see a game controlled to the level of micro management that Melvin's reputation was cemented in Nashville.

Why even bother to rehash tired stories of folders and voluminous tomes on the best available position coaches, when one key hire barely lasted one season, while the defensive coordinator had to swallow his pride and get a comfy seat in the press box.

Maybe I just have it in for GW, because I actually liked Wade and still think that he can be an effective head coach, headphones or not.

But don't tell me that coaching wouldn't matter that much with this team, and then see what Parcells is doing wit the same bunch of scrubs that drove Dave Campo to a leaping edge. (And since I'd like to enjoy the rest of the season, please don't even bring up John Fox's name)