PDA

View Full Version : Lotsa talk about...p.II...

WCoastFin
09-26-2002, 11:53 AM
the Bills being good next year...and I just dont see it happening....you guys dont have good decision makers in the coaching staff....starting with GW....You guys sign Moore when you have what I would consider a Pro-Bowler in Remiersma...and why the heck did you even sign Moore when your needs are in defense? Ever thought of trading a TE (who you dont even use)for some defensive help?....The bengals,cardinals,chargers, and the Colts have all been saying the same thing...."Wait till next year and we're gonna be great"...and it hasnt happened for the last 3 years.

Ð
09-26-2002, 11:55 AM
This coming from a phin? The perennial "wait until next year" team :)

WG
09-26-2002, 12:08 PM
LOL

Or...

"Wait until the post season..!"

:rofl:

That's when the REAL fun begins for Fin fans...

:lol:

I do agree w/ ya tho FinFanny, JK :D, on the notion that we should have done something about the D. All we really did, other than the draft, is "replace" guys. Robinson is what many feared and what my Titans bud told me at the beginning of the year, washed up as being anything other than average. He can't even cover that well which was supposed to be his forte.

Fletcher was supposed to be nearly as good as Cowart, and while he stays healthier which is key, he isn't nearly as good as Sam was when he was in the middle. Newman is our best LB IMO. He's not new. So IMO our D is about the same, plus here, minus a bit there.

We will be better next year if they focus almost entirely on the D this offseason just as they focused almost entirely on the O this past one. Otherwise, I fear that you may be correct. But what are our needs on O now. Not a lot. So there's no reason for us to go get any significant offensive players. The OL is all still under contract for next year. Most are in the first or second year of their contracts. JR, Moore, Reed, Moulds, are all iced.

Price may demand some, but he's only worth so much. $3M TOPS and that's if he continues to play this way all year and finishes w/ 1,200+ and 10+ TDs.

Centers is expendable and older. Henry, isn't in a good bargaining position now. We're essentially all set on O.

We need 2 solid DTs. We may have our DEs after this season. Schobel is clearly one of them. IMO if we get a couple of good DTs, one starter one reliever, then that will open up the ends some for some of our younger guys to excel.

Our DBs are fine and improving w/ age. We still need some Linebacking help though. So if we focus on LBs and DL, we'll be very good next year.

THATHURMANATOR
09-26-2002, 12:21 PM
Good post Wys I agree!

Captain gameboy
09-26-2002, 12:30 PM
I strongly disagree WCFin.
The Bills have had one the best personnel groups in the NFL for years. All of the last three GM's are highly rated and sought after. Name a team that can put the likes of Polian, Butler and TD one after the other. Compare our last two drafts with almost any in the NFL. Sure there was a lot of work to done with aging players and salary cap problems, but we got through them after only enduring one non-competitive season. The year's team is only one or two serious injuries away from big trouble, but a lot of teams are like that. We can compete with anyone, except maybe the Pats and your Dolhins this year.
As to next year, we need two DT's as Wys said. I'm hoping one free agent and a draft pick. We also need a defensive end and one big linebacker from free agency. The offense is young and done, but we need to start thinking about Drew's replacement. A little (easy to aquire) depth on the O'line and we're set. Special teams will get better by osmosis.
Please don't disrespect us by comparing us to the likes of the Bengals or Cardinals. They along with the Lions have serious historical problems. We put together a great run in the early 90's, hung on in the playoffs in the late 90's, sucked for a year and are soon to be at it again. Gotta love those Dec/Jan playoff games at RW stadium. Trust me-you won't have long to wait.

mchurchfie
09-26-2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
Good post Wys I agree!

I second that motion, very well put!!

Phins054
09-26-2002, 01:10 PM
Well you do need help on offense, but they are fixable. As mentioned Centers is aging. Drafting a solid blocking FB that can catch a ball or 2 (Darryl Johnston type) in the later rounds of the draft should help there. You still need help on the O-line (I know...like I am one to talk :D ). It seems to me that Reimersma is being phased out...so a pass catching TE will need to become essential for Drew a la Coates. Travis Henry is NOT the answer at RB, at least not as a star, he is average at best. He will have a great game here or there, but as long as he is your tailback, you will know what it feel like to have a great QB with NO running game and a suspect D. Obviously you are set at QB and WR. JMHO

Buffarama
09-26-2002, 01:15 PM
Thats why I was interested in Watters this off season. We need someone, something special in the backfield. Whether Henry can become that is debatable. At any rate, we don't have it right now.

Creemoredrinker
09-26-2002, 01:22 PM
You are trying to apply logic to the illogical. You are trying to discuss intelligently with the unintelligent. They're stinkin' rotting dead fish fans for God's sake. Of course they can NOT follow your logic or grasp simple football concepts. If they did, they would be Bills fans.

:badboy:

Simply use your IGNORE function to shut out the IGNORANT.

:dolfelon:

lordofgun
09-26-2002, 02:45 PM
Don't you love it how they start these threads, and then just walk away. :rolleyes:

:boring:

THATHURMANATOR
09-26-2002, 02:55 PM
NO

Phins054
09-26-2002, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Creemoredrinker
You are trying to apply logic to the illogical. You are trying to discuss intelligently with the unintelligent. They're stinkin' rotting dead fish fans for God's sake. Of course they can NOT follow your logic or grasp simple football concepts. If they did, they would be Bills fans.

:badboy:

Simply use your IGNORE function to shut out the IGNORANT.

:dolfelon:

Whatever....:nana:

:jetsuck:

Cntrygal
09-26-2002, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Phins054

Whatever....:nana:

:jetsuck:

:lol:

just don't forget to rate his posts... since he's rating yours ;)

Drewpac
09-26-2002, 06:59 PM
I think Henry is better at this point than Ricky Watters. I think Henry is a really good back who hasn't been given enough time yet.

TigerJ
09-26-2002, 07:09 PM
Wys makes some good points. Buffalo will have to focus mostly on defense next offseason. Maybe Fletcher can pick up his play, but I think Robinson has about reached the end of the line. I think Coy Wire will be a solid SS for a long time. Prioleau is a feisty player, but I'm not sure he's the answer at FS. Maybe Tony Driver is, maybe not. We could use another good corner unless Kevin Thomas develops, and we need linemen. I have my doubts that Denney will ever be a factor. Ahanotu is a bandaid, and neither Edwards, nor Robertson, nor Bannan has proven he is the answer at tackle to pair with Williams, though there is still hope for all three. Irons may be a contributor. I don't know if he has starter talent. WCFin's point is weak, as you'd expect from a fin fan. It's not a case of Dave Moore or help for the defense. Moore wasn't expensive enough to prevent the acquisition of defensive help. Moore and Geason, the TE picked up from the Steelers are solid blockers, something Riemersma is not. There are times when the offence lines up in a way that it needs good blocking tight ends. Now we have them. It's been a while. Moore also provides good depth for Riemersma because he has good hands.