PDA

View Full Version : Henry's sacrifice

G. Host
10-08-2003, 07:13 PM
Travis Henry took painkiller shots for his torn rib cartilage before the game Sunday. I had that injury once. Every time you turn a certain way it feels like a stab of fire. And it leaves a kind of misshapen lump, which you can point to years later, as a reminder. That's the sacrifice Henry made to fortify a running game that beat the Bengals in the second half. In the first half Drew Bledsoe was 5 for 17, and seven possessions resulted in six three - and - outs. Without Henry, the Bills don't have a running game, unless you count their No.1 draft, Willis McGahee ... oh, pardon me, I forgot. That's for next year.

Dr. Z (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/writers/dr_z/10/07/power_rankings/index.html)

IHateTheDullphins
10-08-2003, 07:26 PM
I like that "that's for next year" bit. TH is awesome.

shelby
10-08-2003, 07:37 PM
Travis is a warrior.:up:

Typ0
10-08-2003, 08:03 PM
without Travis on the field last week we lose.

Jan Reimers
10-09-2003, 08:33 AM
Travis is an inspiration to his teamates and Bills fans everywhere. No one should ever again question his heart.

EricStratton
10-09-2003, 08:54 AM
That’s what pro athletes do, they play in pain and take stuff to deaden that pain. To call him an inspiration for taking the needle is a bit dramatic.

IHateTheDullphins
10-09-2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by EricStratton
That’s what pro athletes do, they play in pain and take stuff to deaden that pain. To call him an inspiration for taking the needle is a bit dramatic.

You may be missing the entire point here. He's not an ispiration for taking the needle, he's an inspiration because he put his team ahead of himself and played in excrutiating pain for 4 quarters when someone like you would be in street clothes.

elltrain22
10-09-2003, 09:16 AM
Travis did his job. Football is a game of pain, and these men get paid alot of money to fight through injuries. Would i want to play w/ a broke rib, hell no, and i do commend Travis for his effort, but this should not be confused with the man was just doing his job. He's probably going to shot up again this week, b/c we need him again this week to bail us out, now that Moulds is down for who knows how long.

Jan Reimers
10-09-2003, 09:24 AM

Unfortunately, many modern athletes do not play with the type of injury that Travis has. And I didn't call him an inspiration for taking an injection. Playing with torn rib cartelage takes an extreme amount of dedication, something which you obviously don't understand.

EricStratton
10-09-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by IHateTheDullphins

You may be missing the entire point here. He's not an ispiration for taking the needle, he's an inspiration because he put his team ahead of himself and played in excrutiating pain for 4 quarters when someone like you would be in street clothes.

I was in street cloths but then again I’m not a pro athlete who’s job it is to play Sundays.

Players all over the NFL play hurt every game, it’s the nature of the beast.

lordofgun
10-09-2003, 09:34 AM
I was in street cloths but then again I’m not a pro athlete who’s job it is to play Sundays.

Players all over the NFL play hurt every game, it’s the nature of the beast.

Clinton Portis doesn't. :mad:

TigerJ
10-09-2003, 12:22 PM
There are differences between players. Some players will play with more pain than others. Henry is not unique, but he is more willing than some to pay the price to help his team win. Kudos, TH!

Tatonka
10-09-2003, 01:24 PM
not only play in pain.. but play damn well in pain.

stuckincincy
10-09-2003, 02:28 PM
Two up: :up: 's for TH...

stuckincincy
10-09-2003, 02:28 PM
Two :up: :up: 's for TH...

CajunBillsBacker
10-09-2003, 02:45 PM
This is the same guy that many Bills fans accused of "QUITTING" on his team against the Dolphins, go figure. I've never doubted Henry from the get go, I hope he rebounds and gets back to Hawaii.

Doc
10-09-2003, 04:06 PM
People thought he faked the rib injury and sat out the rest of the Dols game? Who were these geniuses?

Akhippo
10-09-2003, 04:18 PM
We could have Edgerrin James. Looks like he'll be out this week again with back spasms. Be like TH and suck it up. As people have said, its your job to take the needle and play.

shelby
10-09-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by CajunBillsBacker
This is the same guy that many Bills fans accused of "QUITTING" on his team against the Dolphins, go figure. I've never doubted Henry from the get go, I hope he rebounds and gets back to Hawaii.

That was my point....many people were doubting Travis' ability to run the ball. They were calling for McGahee. i never doubted that Travis had it in him to perform, and he proved himself in my eyes. He may not be the greatest RB in the league, but he has talent, and he can get the job done for the Bills if he is given the opportunity.
Yes, pro athletes are expected to play with pain. But i still admire him for the superb effort he made last Sunday to help the Bills secure a win. i can't imagine how much it must have hurt.

The_Philster
10-09-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by shelby
That was my point....many people were doubting Travis' ability to run the ball. They were calling for McGahee. i never doubted that Travis had it in him to perform, and he proved himself in my eyes. He may not be the greatest RB in the league, but he has talent, and he can get the job done for the Bills if he is given the opportunity.
Yes, pro athletes are expected to play with pain. But i still admire him for the superb effort he made last Sunday to help the Bills secure a win. i can't imagine how much it must have hurt.

Couldn't agree more, shelby. He said that the pain started getting bad in the beginning of the 4th quarter yet he played on. That's toughness.

BillsFever
10-09-2003, 06:01 PM
You could tell he was in pain after he scored the TD and ran straight for the tunnel.

TigerJ
10-09-2003, 10:01 PM
I've never questioned Henry's heart. I did agree with Ingtar's assessment that Henry was hesitating instead of hitting the small holes that were there. The line just wasn't making big holes so TH would bounce it outside, but by then blocking had broken down completely. In some ways maybe he was trying too hard. Last Sunday he seemed to find the groove again. Whatever happenned, I'm glad it seemed to start clicking again.