PDA

View Full Version : Losing Dillon could be gain

Gunzlingr
10-10-2003, 08:25 AM
The once unthinkable prospect of life without Corey Dillon has become a possibility for the Bengals.

Coach Marvin Lewis opened the door before the draft when he didn't rule out taking a running back in the second round and said team officials had talked about how many productive years Dillon has left.

Dillon's two early-season injuries haven't helped to quiet those discussions. He has been limited to 44 rushing attempts for 164 yards, and he could not finish three games in a row and was inactive for a fourth.

Plus, examination of his contract - he is in the third year of a five-year deal - shows releasing Dillon after this season would save the Bengals salary-cap space.

He is due to make a base salary of $3.3 million in 2004, plus a $100,000 workout bonus. The Bengals are still absorbing $2.1 million a year against the salary cap from the $10.5 million bonus paid Dillon when he signed May 11, 2001.

more (http://bengals.enquirer.com/2003/10/10/BengalsDillon-1010.html)

stuckincincy
10-10-2003, 11:55 AM
The Dillon situation is unusual. As is the B'gals organization.

First, I don't think that the B'gals have a significant cap problem...although the Palmer Carson contract might well change that to some degree. Dunno.

The Bengals had a good number of extra picks in the last draft. There was an expectation that given the # of picks, an RB to groom would be tapped. They did take FB Jeremi Johnson; they let FB Lorenzo Neal walk in FA.

Dillon's a pretty solid "iron man". Having watched 'em since he was drafted, I don't think he's very close to being washed up. He most always meets tacklers head or shoulders-on. His 2nd effort is excellent; he pops out of a pile like a you-know-what in the bathtub. He also comes back into a play, offering a harried qb a pass option.

The Bengals, in my observation, have been pretty quick to can a player with injuries. They are also, to my knowledge, the only team that insists on a contract clause that can cause a player to lose a bunch of $$$ for saying "boo" to the media...although that came into being when WR Carl Pickens was with 'em.

Most curious in Bengal-Land has been the silence of owner Brown. He traditionally whined that the franchise is not a financially strong one (he claimed that he only made $10 million - in his own pocket - in 1999. (Hmm...10 mill and I get to own an NFL team...somebody's gotta do it :D). His interference in player choices are well-known.

A couple years ago - I don't remember exactly; they blur - they coaxed Eisaison to come back - he went 4-0, was AFC player of the month, but they sat him because a contract clause woulda kicked it.

I really don't think this is about Dillion...IMHO it's about more $$$ for Mikey. After all, it's really kinda hard to go 12 years w/o a winning season. :shades: