PDA

View Full Version : USA Today matchup on Bills/Jets

G. Host
10-10-2003, 12:35 PM
USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/gaming/matchups/data/nfl/game/g1_11200.html)

Weather:
Sun Showers
HI 73 F (22 C)
LO 54 F (12 C)

G. Host
10-10-2003, 12:37 PM
More USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2003-10-10-week-6-capsules_x.htm)

Buffalo Bills (3-2) at New York Jets (0-4)

Sunday, 4:15 ET, CBS

Surface: FieldTurf.

Sheridan's line: Bills by 2½.

Keys to the game: The Jets will suffer a big blow if DE John Abraham is forced to sit out a game by coach Herman Edwards as punishment for his drunken driving arrest during the bye week. Buffalo wants to build on a running game that was much improved Sunday to take pressure off QB Drew Bledsoe. The Jets also are starting to work in several young defenders to rest aging LBs Mo Lewis and Marvin Jones. Jets WR Santana Moss will make the first start of his career as the offense hopes more speed will stretch the defense and keep the Bills from stacking up against RB Curtis Martin. If the Jets are able to move the ball, the next challenge will be scoring TDs in the red zone and not settling for field goals.

Fast facts: Bills: RB Travis Henry has averaged 115 yards in three career games against the Jets. Jets: The offense is converting 31% of its third downs (16-for-51). In Edwards' three wins against the Bills, against one loss, the offense has scored at least 30 in each game.

Rankings:
Bills: offense 30th (31st rush, 14th pass); defense 7th (23rd rush, 4th pass).
Jets: offense 25th (32nd rush, 9th pass); defense 24th (32nd rush, 3rd pass).

TV announcers: Ian Eagle, Solomon Wilcots.

Injuries: Bills: Out: RB Sammy Morris (abdominal). Doubtful: WR Eric Moulds (groin). Questionable: DT Sam Adams (ankle). Jets: Out: CB Donnie Abraham (shoulder). Doubtful: QB Chad Pennington (wrist). Probable: LB Jason Glenn (ankle).

TigerJ
10-10-2003, 10:13 PM
Some random thoughts:

Interesting, the Meadowlands has Field Turf, the main competition to Astroplay that was used at the Ralph. I wonder if it plays the same way.

Herm Edwards is shifting his lineup a little. Conway is demoted and Moss moves into the limelight. He's something of a throwback to the days when smurf WRs were the rage in the NFL (Marino's pair, Mark Duper and Mark Clayton). Moss is one of the fastest WRs in the NFL. I don't think Paul Hackett knows how to have his QB throw deep though. He's more loyal to the WCO than he is to his own wife. Still, I think Izell Reese gets the start at FS again because he's more adept at coverage from the safety position. Buffalo has great corners, but they have to respect Moss' speed and potential to get past the CBs. Reese will give the deep support.

I hope Buffalo can get some pressure with their front four, but I suspect they'll need to use the zone blitz quite a bit. I know that the Jets run offence is dead last in the league and Curtis Martin is a shadow of his former self, but it would be a mistiake to discount him completely. The bottom line is that players will need to make plays. Schemes will only let you compensate so much for players who don't.

MDFINFAN
10-10-2003, 11:10 PM
New wrinkles for you guys, I wonder if their 2 week preparation is enough? TH should have a monster game, which put you guys over the top.