• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ingtar33
    Dances With Buffaloes
    • Sep 2002

Random football points...

Just saw a few things over the last few weeks that don't seem to fill a single category of discussion and thought I'd air them in one posting.

1) When M.Williams was flagged for the holding penalty (in Denver) I was perplexed. After waiting for CBS to show a replay of the call, I decided to make a note and go back and review it later. After the game I started the breakdown, and got to that play... Here is what I saw...
    M.Williams was lined up against a speed rusher (I forget his name) who tried to get around our beloved B.M.W. (Big Mike Williams) with an up field speed rush. Williams did the smart thing and let the rusher make his up field move, followed him, and when the DLman realized it was a rush, was in position to Block him from cutting back inside. Williams caught him (at this point I kept a good look at BMW's hands making sure they were inside the body) and with pure power drove the little DE into the ground... from what I could see it looked fabulous, with the little guy's knees buckling and getting bent nearly in two... in fact if you all remember there was a Denver player down after that play, and it was the guy BMW crushed. I still am unsure what the refs were penalizing... I mean since when was a crushing and legal block holding?

2) Somewhere this week I read that Byron Leftwich was not as good as advertised, with a week and inaccurate arm. Thus far I have seen him twice and all I have to say is he has a rocket of an arm and very good accuracy. In fact his mechanics, technique, footwork, pocket awareness and accuracy remind me a lot of Jim Kelly. Only Leftwich is much bigger.

3) Two or Three times in the last two weeks Bledsoe has created space for his receivers by scrambling. The most visible example was last week with his TD pass to Reed. On that play the Broncos sent an outside blitz which Bledsoe neatly avoided... Reed was covered underneath by two Denver LBers, when Bledsoe scrambled forward, both LBers moved up toward Bledsoe (as if he was a threat to run) and he calmly delivered the ball to the now open Reed. I wouldn't mention this if I hadn’t seen it two or three times in the last two weeks... I can assure you those LBers were getting torn a new one by their coaches for sneaking up as if Bledsoe were the second coming of Steve Young.

4) I'd be more satisfied with the DL if all their sacks hadn't come with an assisting LB blitz.

5) Until our DL can show it can get consistent pressure on the QB don’t expect Grey to go and abandon his soft zone overages (in favor of more bump and run overages). He is forced to us our DB's like this because he needs to send 6 or 7 to get to the QB, tying his hands and preventing him from working in any zone blitzing schemes.

6) It didn't mater who Watson covered against Denver last week, because Denver threw at him alone. I counted only 7 passes (to WR) all game which didn't get thrown at Watson. They threw at him in all situations and all downs, in comparison they threw at Clements just once, Wire once (while in a zone D), Winfield 3 times, and Prioleau twice (both in a zone D). Considering Bostic couldn't cover an aged grandma, what was Grey to do?

7) What is with the Chiefs and whining? Wasn't it the Chiefs, who after Montana and Co got waxed in the AFC championship game in Rich Stadium, complained that the AFC and NFC championship games should be played at neutral sites? Now they want to be guaranteed a possession in OT? While they're at it why don’t they ask that the underdogs in games get spotted the points from the betting line... heck why not eliminate score keeping, since its only fair that one team not have to go home a loser!
    Last edited by Ingtar33; 09-27-2002, 01:34 AM.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!
  • northernbillfan
    Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Good post/article Ingtar.

The Bears have a DB that will chew Drew up if he doesn't move around. Hopefully our O-line can give him a pocket, but chances are, he will be scrammbling this Sunday.

I tried to tell Bears fans on other boards about Mike Williams and his ability to cover the line...
    from what I could see it looked fabulous, with the little guy's knees buckling and getting bent nearly in two...
    Well said. They don't know who I am talking about.
    When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Comment

• clumping platelets

It doesn't surprise me that it was the Broncos that knew how to attack Watson............that's where he started his career

Comment

• don137
        • Jul 2002

Agreed Clump...As always very good analysis Ingtar..

Comment

• Ebenezer
          Give me a minute...
          • Jul 2002

excellent points!!

also, they attacked Watson because he is the weakest link...watch for it again this week.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Creemoredrinker
            Senior Zoner
            • Sep 2002

Excellent Points

Agreed that BMW got a cheap call against him. Remember all that talk when we drafted him about pancaking OLs. He simply did that. I hope the NFL is NOT going to call him every time just to prevent injuries.

Excellent point on Drew. I am also surprised with his pocket presence and ability to move around the pocket without having average scrambling abilities.

We do need more quality DBs. CW was picked on as you point out, but he was NOT that bad for the first 2 games. Denver, having no respect for his cover abilities since they had him 3 years ago, simply went after him. Our nickel and dime defenses need better DBs. Jenkins was NOT the answer and Bostic, again as you point out, just plain sucks. I can't believe that Travis Tillman just could NOT turn the corner on an NFL career.

I did NOT relaize that we were never getting pressure on the QB unless we blitzed. I thought it was 50-50, but I will take your word on it. That is a huge problem that limits are defensive options. Do you have any ideas to solve that problem?

Comment

• Cntrygal
              Visually stunning but camera-shy.
              • Jul 2002

Great post Ingtar!!!

One thought... unfair as it is...... Could a SMALL part of a couple of the "questionable" penalties stem from the fact that noone expected us to be playing this tough yet? So, of course in the case that you mention, the officials think that MW had to be holding? (and add in the fact that he's a rookie???)
              Originally posted by notacon
              The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                • Jul 2002

Great post.

Yeah. We rattled Griese when we blitzed. When we didn't, he picked us, errr Watson apart.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                  • Jul 2002

that holding call on Williams made me sick to my stomach.

Comment

• Creemoredrinker
                    Senior Zoner
                    • Sep 2002

The Guy MW Pancaked Didn't Feel So Good Either

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
                    that holding call on Williams made me sick to my stomach.
                    :loblo: :stone:

Comment

• Ingtar33
                      Dances With Buffaloes
                      • Sep 2002

Well, to be fair to the DL, I think on the sack where Vinny ran out of bounds and on one of Schobel's the Bills "only" sent 5 men... when you have to blitz (and are unsure that the DL will get to the QB) you probably better leave the WR some space underneath... I hope BMW doesn't get flagged everytime he crushes someone...
                      My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• casdhf
                        • Jul 2002

We definately need a 6-6 350 pound man that can stand at the line and take up 2 or 3 blockers. That shouldn't be that hard to find
                        Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                        cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• JefftheBillsfan
                          • Jul 2002

that was the best post i have read in some time. i can't say that i don't agree with any 1 of your points.
                          Its all about the quest.

Comment

Working...
                          X