Does Tom Donahoe deserve some of this blame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Does Tom Donahoe deserve some of this blame?

1. He hired Gregg Williams
    2. He brought in Drew Bledsoe and gave up a first rounder for him
    3. He took apart the offense by getting rid of Peerless Price, Jay Riemersma and Larry Centers.
    4. He forced Kevin Gilbride onto Gregg Williams
    5. He demanded Gregg Williams to FIRE the OL coach
    6. He drafted Willis McGahee when we had NEEDS on the OL and DL.

There is more...but I don't want to get into it any farther. If any of you guys can think of anymore...let me know, here.

Maybe we do seem to ignore him a little too much. Why doesn't he EVER get any blame?

• Historian
    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
    • Dec 2002

Of course he does...he hired this STIFF!!!

Comment

• helmetguy
      Touch the helmet for luck
      • Sep 2002

Any blame I'd lay on TD, at this juncture, would be that he seems to be buying into the "conventional wisdom." That is, making a change at this time being disruptive, a concession to "cashing it in" early, etc.

BTW, thanks for letting me join you GW Fan Club! hehehe
      Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
      And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

• Michael82
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Billsology
        Of course he does...he hired this STIFF!!!
        Well, then why does he get the genius title all the time? I know I have ever called him a genius, but I am starting to see the dark side (Wys' side)...

Comment

• Michael82
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by helmetguy
          BTW, thanks for letting me join you GW Fan Club! hehehe
          No problem, man!

Comment

• LABillsFan
            • Aug 2002

Yes but.... Who else was out there for the OC position? Who else was out there that wanted to coach a team that was going to be torn apart and then rebuilt. Who else was out there to QB? Were any of the coaches been on my list? Heck no, but I think TD's hands were tide with the lack of good coaches out there. Marvin Lewis has a long way to go, Fox inherited a very good D and didn't have to rebuild so I'm not too sure about hm. I like the McGahee pick, I liked the Centers, JR and Price moves though.
            I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

• rsmithgi
              • May 2003

Here's a few more:

1. Mike Williams
              2. Ryan Denney
              3. Marcus Jones
              4. Mike Puccillo
              5. Trey Teague
              6. Keith McKenzie
              7. Josh Reed

Comment

• The_Philster
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mike32282
                3. He took apart the offense by getting rid of Peerless Price, Jay Riemersma and Larry Centers.
                1. Gregg impressed him way too much with his charts and lists and everything. I'll admit...I was impressed with the organization he presented at first. But it was obvious early on that he isn't as organized as he wants us to believe.
                2. The only other move I would have made was to draft Ramsey..and he was already gone when our pick came up. Bledsoe was the best available choice, IMO.
                3. I think those were primarily salary cap moves that couldn't be helped all that much. I prefer Gash over Centers myself just because he's a better blocker and besides, Bledsoe didn't use Centers much anyway.
                4. like LABillsFan said, he was the best available
                5. Vinklarek was bad, Ruel is worse
                6. questuionable move from the start. When a run was being made on DL in the draft, maybe we should have traded up
                The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• LABillsFan
                  • Aug 2002

Reed and Williams will develope. I won't count them out yet. But the rest seem to be questionable calls.
                  I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

• Michael82
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by rsmithgi
                    Here's a few more:

1. Mike Williams
                    2. Ryan Denney
                    3. Marcus Jones
                    4. Mike Puccillo
                    5. Trey Teague
                    6. Keith McKenzie
                    7. Josh Reed
                    How could I forget Trey Teague (supposed to be our stud LT) and Mike Pukecillo?

Comment

• baalworship
                      • May 2003

Pucillo was a 7th round pick. You can't blame the GM because his 7th round draft picks aren't starting material.

Josh Reed- Too early. I still like the pick. Hell, Polian liked the pick.

Mike Williams: He has shown something and played great last year. He was the considered the best o-lineman in the draft by more than 2/3 GM's. Too early to call a bust. Who know how good he can be once we get better o-line coaching?

Gregg Williams IS a bust. But hiring the hot coordinator of the month IS a risky proposition. The only sure things are rare.

The Gruden's, Parcell's, Shanahan's. None of those guys were out there.

Kevin Gilbride: A bust because of Williams. Gilbride is a good 0-coordinator if he is reined in occasionally. Unfortunately, GW never bothers. Like calling a quick inside run on 3rd and 1.

Donahoe is great at drafting and managing the cap. He just needs to really make sure the next Bills coach is a good one. He should ask for advice from outside the organization. Maybe just figure out who Al Davis is looking at...

Comment

• stuckincincy
                        Buffalo Bills Fan
                        • Sep 2003

Re: Does Tom Donahoe deserve some of this blame?

There is more...but I don't want to get into it any farther. If any of you guys can think of anymore...let me know, here.

Maybe we do seem to ignore him a little too much. Why doesn't he EVER get any blame?

I was surprised TD passed on Erik Steinback...really surprised. I also thought well of C. jeff Faine, but CLE took 'em just before the Bills.

I was really surprised last year regarding P. Ramsey. I think they would had to have moved up, what - 4 or 5 spots to have leapt over WAS. If memory serves, AFTER Ramsey was plucked, the Bledsoe deal went through.

TD was courting the B'gals O/L coach in the off-season. No dice.
                        Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                          • Jul 2002

I still like Bledsoe. The gameplans have been pitiful. All the running plays are slow developing.

One thing always in the back of my mind is... Does TD only want a totally powerless coach?

Comment

• Tatonka
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by baalworship
                            Donahoe is great at drafting and managing the cap.
                            managing the cap ... yes..

drafting?

who has he drafted that has really helped us to this point?

all the guys he drafted are the ones that are playing like crap and losing games for us..
                            "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Dozerdog
                              In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                              • Jul 2002

The only issue I have with this is that you were estatic when most, if not all of these events took place. The team is not winning and now you flip flop and hate the moves. Your hindsite is flawless.

1)- Who did you want to hire?

2)- Who did you want to replace Rob Johnson with?

3) I don't recall you upset that Riemersma and Centers left. And Price wanted out- you want Price back and return Spikes and Milloy? Price is pulling in their cap space combined

4) Did the previous OL coach deserve to stay?

5) I don't recall you upset that we got McGahee. Nor do I recall you begging for an OL in the draft- who did you want the Bills to pick?

Something fell apart between week 2 and today. The coaches have not addressed it.

Comment

Working...
                              X