Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArcticWildMan

Blame Gilbride all you want but Drew is at fault as well

Gilbride is claiming he didn't call a pass play on the game turning 3rd and 1. Drew changed the play at the line to a pass.

This something that was mentioned last year by the coaching staff when we were not running the ball. It appears Drew changes a lot of plays that were originally run plays.

I'm not trying to defend Gilbride but Drew may have cost us the game with the momentum shift that resulted from his changed play.
  • beta_google
    Zoner
    • Aug 2003

What play are you talking about? The one that was hiked and Drew had to plop on it, at like the 5 yard line?

Comment

• Judge
      • Aug 2002

The o-line has done nothing to make Drew feel confident that it can push the line of scrimmage to gain that extra yard has it? How many of Drew's incomplete passes were because the inexperienced WR's didn't execute their routes properly?

There's plenty of blame to go around. Nobody's playing well, including Drew. Gilbride's calling poor plays and the team is failing to execute.
      Argue like hell. Keep it clean. And when it's over, shake hands and root for our team!

Comment

• beta_google
        Zoner
        • Aug 2003

Where are you getting this from. Drew changes maybe 1 or 2 plays a game. He changes them at the line because he sees a lack of concentration on one part of the field, and believes we may get a big gain out of it. Jim Kelly would do the SAME thing.

Comment

• Pride
          • Jul 2002

If Drew called for a pass on that 3rd and 1, he deserves to get a boot in the ass too.

I have noticed all season that anytime DB audibles a play... it is always either incomplete or stopped at the line if it was a run.

DB needs to stop audibling.

Comment

• beta_google
            Zoner
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Pride
            If Drew called for a pass on that 3rd and 1, he deserves to get a boot in the ass too.

I have noticed all season that anytime DB audibles a play... it is always either incomplete or stopped at the line if it was a run.

Yeah, and Im sure you know just as much about defensive formations as he does

Comment

• Pride
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by beta_google
              Yeah, and Im sure you know just as much about defensive formations as he does
              I dont claim to know everything... but if you paid me 6 million dollars a year, I would sure as hell learn!

Comment

• Judge
                • Aug 2002

Prove it. Give us your data and how you have "noticed that" every time he audibles it goes bad.

Ridiculous.
                Argue like hell. Keep it clean. And when it's over, shake hands and root for our team!

Comment

• beta_google
                  Zoner
                  • Aug 2003

I dont claim to know everything... but if you paid me 6 million dollars a year, I would sure as hell learn!
                  He is going on what he believes are mistakes in the opposing defense. He only audibles 1 or 2 times a game. A lot of the time, he gets huge gainers on audibles and we dont even notice them.

Peyton Manning audibles like 20 times a game....

Comment

• HenryRules
                    • Jul 2002

I don't see how we can blame anyone but our OL for our play-calling.

All we hear from them after every game is, "We need to run the ball more, than we can open holes"
                    *&%* THAT!!! We ran the ball a reasonable amount of times in the first half and they did NOTHING!! Against the worst run D in the league - NOTHING!!! Almost all first halves this season, we've run the ball a reasonable amount of the time, and yet we have not had success at all running the ball in those halves. A running game should be able to pay dividends in the first half, not just after carry #20 or so. If our OL wants to run the ball more, then start *@&*% opening holes in the first or second quarter.

When we score 3 points with a reasonably balanced attack, are trailing by 13 or so, and our run game has done nothing - why would anyone with a brain continue to run the ball? I could understand if we had scored 10 or 14 and were down by 13, but nope, we only got a %^##* FIELD GOAL and the run game was one of the main reasons we were getting nowhere. Of course we're going to abandon the run.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

When Spikes ,Clements,Winfield , Henry, Fletcher and all the other players that were assets to this team played like ******s, you gotta wonder what the coaches did to demoralize good players into giving up.

Drew didn't get in anyones face but niether did the other "leaders" of this team. Who would've thought that Spikes would give up. He never did when he was a bengal.
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Judge
                        • Aug 2002

Originally posted by HenryRules
                        I don't see how we can blame anyone but our OL for our play-calling.

All we hear from them after every game is, "We need to run the ball more, than we can open holes"
                        *&%* THAT!!! We ran the ball a reasonable amount of times in the first half and they did NOTHING!! Against the worst run D in the league - NOTHING!!! Almost all first halves this season, we've run the ball a reasonable amount of the time, and yet we have not had success at all running the ball in those halves. A running game should be able to pay dividends in the first half, not just after carry #20 or so. If our OL wants to run the ball more, then start *@&*% opening holes in the first or second quarter.

When we score 3 points with a reasonably balanced attack, are trailing by 13 or so, and our run game has done nothing - why would anyone with a brain continue to run the ball? I could understand if we had scored 10 or 14 and were down by 13, but nope, we only got a %^##* FIELD GOAL and the run game was one of the main reasons we were getting nowhere. Of course we're going to abandon the run.
                        THIS is a good post. Great analysis, Henry.

Comment

• WNYnut
                          • Jul 2002

"Remember, you can always find East by staring directly at the sun."

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

Here you go guys: Right from the article my brother just posted the link to:

In the first quarter, the Bills faced third-and-one at the Jets’ 34. They came out in a two-back formation. But instead of fullback Sam Gash clearing a hole for Travis Henry (as he did to beat Cincinnati last week), Bledsoe checked out of the play and threw a short, incomplete pass to Josh Reed.

Comment

• TedMock
                              • Jul 2002

Our center and two guards deserve most of the blame. The interior of the line is just getting blown out. The playcalling is easily a close second, maybe even reason #1B. Also, on 2 of those sacks yesterday Drew obviously held the ball too long. He's gotten better this year with that but he still reverts now and then. Our TE's who were supposed to be known for blocking are struggling with the DE's. MW and JJ are even slumping but they're playing much better than Teague, Brown and Pucillo....which isn't exactly a compliment either. Throw in the fact that, other than vs. Cincy, Henry's running with no heart at all and it's a disaster. Gash has actually done very well but Henry's not following him all the time. He pancakes at least a couple of guys each week and knocks somebody out for a while every single game. He's been the only bright spot. Unfortunately, he's a fullback so it's going un-noticed. The defense also underacheived big time yesterday. Bannon got blown off the ball all game, it was pathetic. PW, once again, held his own but with no help it's really tough. The saddest thing is that our best player is Brian Moorman. This kid's the best punter going right now. It's real sad when your punter's your best player though.

Comment

Working...
                              X