• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • socalfan
    Old Fogey from Cali
    • Feb 2003

Firing the head coach

OK, if they fire GW this season, then they need a replacement. A replacement will do one of two things....retain the staff or bring in new staff.

TD resigned every assistant coach for 1 additonal year. So, replacing staff is not possible IMHO since I do not think RW will be willing to pay all of these people that one year. He wasn't willing to for Wade Phillips?

So that probably means that someone on staff takes over for GW if he is canned this season. And that person will be the coach next season. So, after next season two things are possible. There is a housecleaning or not.

If there is a housecleaning is happens after another draft, by that time the team should be pretty well set personel wise. That would mean good players, but a new system...so we loose another year before we get to the playoffs. I don't think this is tolerable, so it will be no housecleaning but a modest replacement of some coaches.

That doesn't sound promising to me.
  • helmetguy
    Touch the helmet for luck
    • Sep 2002

There are people in place that will allow RW to get rid of GW before the season is out. LeBeau comes to mind. If nothing else, he can simplify things a bit, making it easier for the players to grasp, and get the reps needed for them to execute the plays more effectively. With GW, KG and JG, we have coaches that are insistent on trying to force things to work that, after weeks of repetition, have NOT been successful. If a change has to be made, it's better to do it now, rather than later and waste the talent we have assembled. Over the past four games, that's been the story...wasted opportunities.
    Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
    And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

• socalfan
      Old Fogey from Cali
      • Feb 2003

I think we don't have the right mix of players at this point. By that I mean KG has put together a plan that maximizes Moulds and Bledsoe...but he didn't take into consideration that the offensive line couldn't perform up to task for the plays he designed for these two players. So no matter who steps up to replace GW, the problem still remains; the game plan needs to maximize the whole offense. And that will mean someone needs to rethink how Moulds and Bledsoe are used.

To me that means GW could potentially stay, but a new offensive coordinater needs to appear and someone needs to be able to evaluate whether or not that person can actually do the job.....I don't think GW can, nor do I think TD can....so it will take a committee to figure out who can design plays for the offense. If that is so, then maybe there is no reason to keep on GW either.

I think defense is okay, the play selection is odd sometimes (rushing 3 guys when it is 3rd and 7), so I wouldn't move LeBeau out of place now. Steckle might be the solution...but I don't know if he has designed an offense.

Comment

• helmetguy
        Touch the helmet for luck
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by socalfan
        I think we don't have the right mix of players at this point. By that I mean KG has put together a plan that maximizes Moulds and Bledsoe...but he didn't take into consideration that the offensive line couldn't perform up to task for the plays he designed for these two players. So no matter who steps up to replace GW, the problem still remains; the game plan needs to maximize the whole offense. And that will mean someone needs to rethink how Moulds and Bledsoe are used.

To me that means GW could potentially stay, but a new offensive coordinater needs to appear and someone needs to be able to evaluate whether or not that person can actually do the job.....I don't think GW can, nor do I think TD can....so it will take a committee to figure out who can design plays for the offense. If that is so, then maybe there is no reason to keep on GW either.

I think defense is okay, the play selection is odd sometimes (rushing 3 guys when it is 3rd and 7), so I wouldn't move LeBeau out of place now. Steckle might be the solution...but I don't know if he has designed an offense.
        You're beginning to sound like GW. Someone HAS to take charge, be decisive, and not vacillate. A committee to decide who can design plays? Why not just quote GW directly?

"We have to get better in that area..."
        -GW
        Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
        And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

• socalfan
          Old Fogey from Cali
          • Feb 2003

I think the reality of the situation is that there won't be wholesale changes in the coaching staff because of the contract extensions. So who gets fired....well we need an offensive coordinator that can match play design with the players we have. No one on staff can do that. No one in administration can do that. So, I think the OC goes. If no one on staff can do the work and no one in administration can do the work, then how are they going to find an adequate replacement?

Comment

Working...
          X