X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eyedog
    • Jul 2002

Bills Things I Know...

TD hiring GW isn't his only mistake. Drafting M. Williams over McKinnie will set this team back for years. The #4 pick in the draft and he wiffed. MW was beaten again for at least one sack by Shaun Ellis around the corner AGAIN. At this rate he will give up approx 15 - 20 sacks this year. He's too slow. Move him to r-gyard and see what you can salvage.

Why is Nate Clements giving a 5 yd cushion on our 5 yd line ? Is he coached to play like this on the goal line ? If not, why isn't one of the defensive coaches telling him to move up and get in the receivers face. They are on the 5yd line, your not gonna get beat deep.

O-line needs to be changed NOW as in for this coming week. Two options take your pick Gregg.
    JJ RB TT Sullivan MW or JJ RB TT MW Price. Either option can't be any worse than what is out there right now.

Start Blitzing. All out if needed. Tkae your chances with the corners in single coverage. You must get some pressure on the qb. Schoebel and Denney stink. Both are NFL back-ups who are starting.

London fletcher is to small to play inside linebacker for my liking. He is no Cowart. Ruben is over the hill and will not be on this team next year. Teague is also a backup who is starting. This team better find a center next year. Drew better stop audiblizing on 3rd and 1. You run the ball twice and you don't go WIDE.

This is it for Greggy the next two weeks. If they go 0-2 he will be fired at the bye week. 1-1 and he stays by the thinest of threads.
  • HenryRules
    • Jul 2002

McKinnie was not an option. He didn't want to play here. Somethings you just have to accept.

So, the options were Williams or just about anyone else but McKinnie. I still think he did ok, as I am pleased with how Williams is doing for a 2nd year OT.

I think TD's biggest mistake was assembling an OL that had one guy nearing the end of his career (who knew it would come so suddenly) and 4 players each with less than 2 years NFL experience at their respective positions. That's the problem.

Comment

• TedMock
      • Jul 2002

I think Williams is going to be a beast. McKinnie's doing no better...except for the team record. As a matter of fact, a fella I work with is a die-hard Minnesota guy and he's saying that McKinnie's easily the weakest on the OL. I guess he's still a little slow off the ball and not quite used to the speed yet. Both guys will be fine. Williams has definitely given up some sacks but quite often the sacks from the right side are coming from the TE and Pucillo. Speaking of Pucillo....he's sucks. If we get better guard play this only helps the center and tackle. Pucillo and Brown are the two weakest links right now. I think Sullivan started coming into his own last season as did the whole line, the only difference is Pucillo.

Comment

• HenryRules
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TedMock
        I think Sullivan started coming into his own last season as did the whole line, the only difference is Pucillo.
        And the coach!!

Comment

• TedMock
          • Jul 2002

I actually put more blame on Gilbride than on Steckel. The OL can't get any sort of rhythm when we don't run. I'm not saying to put ourselves in 3rd and long for an entire half if the run's not working but we have to keep trying. On passing downs Pucillo's getting killed and the pressures right in Bledsoe's face before he's even completed his drop. That's because nobody's afraid of us running more than 15 times a game. Bledsoe has limitations but he also has strengths......ie.play action. The guy's outstanding with play action but with no running threat play action's pretty much useless. I hope Gray pulls a Buddy Ryan on Gilbride.

Comment

• eyedog
            • Jul 2002

I guess its a personal preferrence with Mckinnie or Williams. As for Mckinnie not being an option because he didn't want to play here, well thats not true. Who cares if he didn't want to play here, he has no choice except to sit out the year and wait for the following years draft. That would never happen. You don't leave that kind of money on the table, they would never recoup that over their career. McKinnie is going through some growing pains also, except for one big difference, he is a left tackle which is the tougher of the two and he will be a left tackle for the next ten years. At this point it is highly debateable if MW can handle the right side.

Comment

• Pride
              • Jul 2002

Good analysis tho...

Comment

• TedMock
                • Jul 2002

Good point on the left tackle thing. I think there's a 2 year window for OT's like there's a 3 year window for most WR's. Remember Howard Ballard his first 2 season's? We and Jim Kelly were constantly screaming at him. Just keep your fingers crossed. There are times when MW just tosses guys also.

Comment

• eyedog
                  • Jul 2002

The fingers are crossed, do we have any other choice ? I really think at this point Price at rt and williams at rg would be the best line combo. I can't see MW getting run over like Pucillo on blitz's and stunts up the middle.

Comment

• HenryRules
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by eyedog
                    As for Mckinnie not being an option because he didn't want to play here, well thats not true. Who cares if he didn't want to play here, he has no choice except to sit out the year and wait for the following years draft. That would never happen.
                    Personnel choices are not isolated ... do you think that anyone would want to sign as a FA with a classless organization that drafted a guy even though he made it clear he didn't want to be there?

And what sort of influence would that have on the locker room?

And how long does it take teams to recover from having cancers in the locker room?

And what sort of performance would you expect from a guy that you basically treated like dirt by giving him no say at all as to where he played or anything even though he had the respect to tell you before the draft (knowingly costing him hundreds of thousands of dollars due to rookie cap)?

Comment

• eyedog
                      • Jul 2002

Players have been drafted by teams for years where they didn't want to go. You can't let that dictate who you draft by passing over a better player. Do you think OJ wanted to come to Buffalo in 1969 ? Hell No. Or Kelly ? You take the best player, if you don't you end up paying for it.

Comment

• TedMock
                        • Jul 2002

Kelly went to the USFL for 2 years and we got real lucky that it shut down. Elway went to play for the Yankees instead of signing with the Colts. Bennett also refused to play for the Colts and was willing to sit out all year after they drafted him but we got involved in the 3 way trade so he played for us. Some of these guys are that stubborn. I'd play anywhere for a million bucks.

Comment

• WNYnut
                          • Jul 2002

they've been playing their corners with a 5-10 yard cushion for what feels like the past 5-6 years. i realize they don't want to give up the long ball, but when you're in a redzone defense, you've gotta tighten it up a bit. but dumb and dumber don't seem to be able to comprehend this concept.
                          "Remember, you can always find East by staring directly at the sun."

Comment

• HenryRules
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by eyedog
                            Players have been drafted by teams for years where they didn't want to go. You can't let that dictate who you draft by passing over a better player. Do you think OJ wanted to come to Buffalo in 1969 ? Hell No. Or Kelly ? You take the best player, if you don't you end up paying for it.
                            I can't remember if Marino would have played here or not ... but do you think we would have been that much worse off if we drafted Marino and got those 2 years of him instead of waiting for Kelly?

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

I wanted the other Williams in the draft...ROY WILLIAMS.

Comment

Working...
                              X