What would a coaching change accomplish now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HenryRules
    • Jul 2002

What would a coaching change accomplish now?

Seriously ... what impact do you think it would have on the team?

I think firing GW mid-season would tell the players that the season is over and since we're not going to keep GW next year, we might as well find his replacement now.

We can't dramatically change our offense or defense ... that's what the offseason is for.

The new coach can't step into Reed's body and catch any passes.
    If you're thinking that Aitken, Brown, or whoever as a #2/#3 receiver is a recipe for success, you're delusional.

If the new coach makes any significant changes ... what effect will that have on the rest of the staff? Like them or not, they have to be here the rest of the season for us to do anything.

What coaches available are an improvement anyway? Ditka and Johnson aren't coming out of retirement. We will be going from horrible to probably just as horrible if not worse.

Will anyone want to coach here next year? Donahoe already has a bad rep as far as ego and giving control to coaches, what will this move say?

I say ride the season out and see where it goes from there. I really see no benefit to firing GW this season as there is still a chance (the winner in the AFCE the last couple of years struggled at the start)
  • LtBillsFan66
    • Jul 2002

I don't think it would change a thing record wise.

I agree that the season should play out, no matter how bad things are.

Comment

• RedEyE
      • Jul 2002

I understand that you think that it may have a negative impact on the mentality of the team, and that thought is logical. However, I believe just the opposite would occur. It seems to me that the players have already lost faith in the coaches. Why not pluck the problem and the weight of hoplessness from the current equation, sending a message to the players that they can now go out and just have fun on the field?

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

What's the worse that could happen if we switch coaches? Lose the rest of the games. Isn't that the way this team is headed with these current coaches anyways?

Even if we asked Gilbride to change his throwing ways, he doesn't know how to run anyways.
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• HenryRules
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
          What's the worse that could happen if we switch coaches? Lose the rest of the games. Isn't that the way this team is headed with these current coaches anyways?

Even if we asked Gilbride to change his throwing ways, he doesn't know how to run anyways.
          The worst that could happen is that next year no one wants to coach the team so we are left with someone no better than GW.

That's what I think will happen if we fire GW mid-season.

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HenryRules

The worst that could happen is that next year no one wants to coach the team so we are left with someone no better than GW.

That's what I think will happen if we fire GW mid-season.
            Not with the talent we have. It's happened before to other teams and they have HC , no?

You can't tell me that Cotrell wouldn't grab the chance if it was offered to him. Coaches who would not grab a chance to be a HC especially w/ the talent we have should not be coaching in the NFL in the first place.
            sacrifice1

Comment

• stuckincincy
              Buffalo Bills Fan
              • Sep 2003

Keeping joined-at-the-hip clowns like GW/KB is a good step towards becoming this decade's Bengals. Trust me on this one...
              Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• HenryRules
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan

Not with the talent we have. It's happened before to other teams and they have HC , no?

You can't tell me that Cotrell wouldn't grab the chance if it was offered to him. Coaches who would not grab a chance to be a HC especially w/ the talent we have should not be coaching in the NFL in the first place.
                After being close with Wade and probably not liking how he was dismissed and then seeing that GW was let go midway through and I think treated unfairly (he should have been fired before this season or given an extension with everyone else - extending the contracts of your assistants but not you is a slap in the face), I don't think Cottrell would jump at the chance to join this organization.

I also don't think Cottrell is all that great and he would probably have a similar showing as GW.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

I don't think Cotrell would be an anwer , I was just stating him as an example.

Why did Maruicci take the Lions job if they were such a horrible organization? Based on the way we played the first 2 games, any decent HC should be able to piece the puzzle together.
                  sacrifice1

Comment

• HenryRules
                    • Jul 2002

The Lions never treated their coaches like crap. Plus, Mariucci is from the Detroit area.

If Buffalo fires their coach midseason, their last 2 coaches will have left under circumstances that would make sought after coaches think twice about joining the team. And if we're not getting a highly regarded coach, what's the point?

Comment

• stuckincincy
                      Buffalo Bills Fan
                      • Sep 2003

No Cotrell is probaly not an HC answer, HenryRules.

But give the guy due credit. His defensive calls resulted in a 3-30 pasting of our home boys. Ya, turnovers but evenso, his scheme SLAPPED ours. :shades:

Comment

• askabry
                        • Jul 2002

Re: What would a coaching change accomplish now?

Originally posted by HenryRules
                        Seriously ... what impact do you think it would have on the team?...
                        Perhaps and only this one single thing ... this simple, melodious thought ...

CONTINUED POOR PERFORMANCE NO LONGER IS ACCEPTED AT ONE BILLS DRIVE.

Is that so wrong? Is it impossible to desire a semblance of discipline and desire from our players?

When Lawyer Milloy came to the Bills, he surprised even the coaches when he made staff and players accountable for their actions.

Isn't it amazing that a player from another team had to point out that mistakes, no matter how trivial, are not to be laughed at in the film rooms?

It is a reigning belief among the 53 that no matter how badly you do, your job is pretty much sacrosanct.

Would that stir a move in the standings? I doubt it. But I would cheer the thought of it. It might ... just might ... even give me pause in considering re-upping my season's tickets, which for next year hang in the balance.
                        what the last four years of a Republican House, Senate and Presidency has gotten us ...
                        • tax cuts for the wealthy in the hundreds of billions
                        • 1,000 dead American servicemen
                        • the U.S. Constitution trampled upon
                        • our national debt growing into the TRILLIONS of dollars
                        • implicit lies and consistent obfuscations of the truth regarding Iraq

I can hardly wait to see what four more years will get us.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                          Buffalo Bills Fan
                          • Sep 2003

Re: Re: What would a coaching change accomplish now?

Originally posted by askabry

It is a reigning belief among the 53 that no matter how badly you do, your job is pretty much sacrosanct.

Comment

• HenryRules
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by stuckincincy
                            But give the guy due credit. His defensive calls resulted in a 3-30 pasting of our home boys. Ya, turnovers but evenso, his scheme SLAPPED ours. :shades:
                            I think the guy is a great DC ... I just really think that OC's make the best head coaches.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                              Buffalo Bills Fan
                              • Sep 2003

Re: Re: What would a coaching change accomplish now?

Originally posted by askabry

Whoops, forgot a comment.

Not quite sure the sacrosanct view is a universal, dominant player's outlook. But it IS a factor. No way around it...

Comment

Working...
                              X