PDA

View Full Version : Drew gets a D-

askabry
10-15-2003, 09:41 AM
Quarterback: Drew Bledsoe had a poor game and that’s why the grade is so low. His stats for the day were 24 of 40 for 202 yards, and 1 interception. He looked out of sync with his receivers all day and overthrew everyone. Bledsoe took way too many sacks and looked like Rob Johnson at times, on Sunday. He also fumbled a ball when he took a sack. The other thing that stuck out to me was that he lost his swagger. There were times when he was on the field and threw an incomplete pass and he looked emotionless. I don’t know what happened to him, but he is getting paid way too much money to have performances like this. Hopefully we will see more out of him next week. Alex Van Pelt did receive one snap at the end of the game and it was an interception. Overall, it was not a good day at all for this unit. Grade: D-

Take a look at the game tape, and divide it like this; after the second drive of the second half, and before then.

What you will find is this; Drew played against a seven-man secondary for most of three quarters, with four guys running patterns. On top of that, their entire secondary played within 20 yards of the LOS. With that, he was under nearly constant pressure and often had to break off passes specifically to compensate for Pucillo/Teague/Brown.

For emphasis, we spent that entire time blocking nearly always 5 on 4. In fact, the entire game we were blocking 5 on 4, and sometimes heaven forbid we went our five against their five.

One play in particular stands out. After successive penalties, Bledsoe's feet were in the end zone on a pass and Dwayne Robertson nearly sacking him ... but he fired a pass that resulted in a sizeable gain.

Giving Drew Bledsoe a D- is akin to saying the defense gave up too many yards on the run against Miami. Through three quarters, the defense (and Drew) did an incredible job. But at some point, the rest of the team needs to stand up and do their job. Suggesting that 24 for 40, 200 yards are bad statistics really, really does him no justice.

askabry
10-15-2003, 09:44 AM
And just one other thing ... let's see... we have a 31 year old, 10 year veteran QB on the one hand and rookie WRs on the other.

The QB appears to be "out-of-sync" with his wideouts. So... the natural thing would be to blame the QB right? In what alternate universe do you blame the veteran QB instead of ... um ... Josh friggin Reed?

HenryRules
10-15-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by askabry
And just one other thing ... let's see... we have a 31 year old, 10 year veteran QB on the one hand and rookie WRs on the other.

The QB appears to be "out-of-sync" with his wideouts. So... the natural thing would be to blame the QB right? In what alternate universe do you blame the veteran QB instead of ... um ... Josh friggin Reed?

I agree with you completely (on both points, but this was the bottom one so I quoted it).

askabry
10-15-2003, 10:14 AM
Thanks HenryRules.

It amazes me that Bledsoe can be the lightning rod for criticism after that game. At some point, you have to look at the entire team's performance.

eyedog
10-15-2003, 10:21 AM
I'm glad some people understand what is going on out there. Totally agree.

BuffaloRanger
10-15-2003, 10:27 AM
I concur. QBs get too much credit after wins sometimes, but they take too much of the blame after losses. I hope it's just frustration speaking when fans say we need to bench or cut Bledsoe loose. Who would you replace him with? Star QBs don't appear out of nowhere. Drafting a QB would leave this team in a Todd Collins like era for 2 seasons until he potentially became a star. By that time Moulds is going downhill, our D will need to be revamped, etc. As someone already said, this team has been built for this year and next. Brunell will be available - is he the answer. How about Plummer or Stewart, they were FAs this year?
We've all seen Bledsoe thread too many needles and make great passes. Why all of a sudden do fans think he lost it?

Bottom Line - There is nobody better available anytime soon.

SABURZFAN
10-15-2003, 10:30 AM
no excuse.drew didn't have that good of a game whether you use stats or not.D- sounds about right.look at the friggin score and convince me that 3 points warrants a higher grade.

HenryRules
10-15-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by BuffaloRanger
I concur. QBs get too much credit after wins sometimes, but they take too much of the blame after losses.

I can't remember where it was ... i think it was in the NY Post or something ... but just after the Limbaugh incident a columnist wrote an article along the same thinking.

Basically his point was that, yes, McNabb is overrated, but no, it's not because he's black, but because he is a QB and the importance of all QB's is overrated.

HenryRules
10-15-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN
no excuse.drew didn't have that good of a game whether you use stats or not.D- sounds about right.look at the friggin score and convince me that 3 points warrants a higher grade.

It's the process that you should examine ... not the result.

Drew did his part ... he can't throw <i>and</i> run routes <i>and</i> pass block <i>and</i> run block <i>and</i> run/catch the ball.

A QB's job is to do precisely that, a QB's job. The success of a passing play requires the QB, OL, and WRs to succeed. Putting all the blame on a single player based on stats is not accurate.

With no stats, it's obvious to see he did what he could. Definitely not an A+ game (but that wasn't mentioned) ... I'd say a C+/B- though.

WG
10-15-2003, 10:37 AM

Take a look at the game tape, and divide it like this; after the second drive of the second half, and before then.

What you will find is this; Drew played against a seven-man secondary for most of three quarters, with four guys running patterns. On top of that, their entire secondary played within 20 yards of the LOS. With that, he was under nearly constant pressure and often had to break off passes specifically to compensate for Pucillo/Teague/Brown.

For emphasis, we spent that entire time blocking nearly always 5 on 4. In fact, the entire game we were blocking 5 on 4, and sometimes heaven forbid we went our five against their five.

One play in particular stands out. After successive penalties, Bledsoe's feet were in the end zone on a pass and Dwayne Robertson nearly sacking him ... but he fired a pass that resulted in a sizeable gain.

Giving Drew Bledsoe a D- is akin to saying the defense gave up too many yards on the run against Miami. Through three quarters, the defense (and Drew) did an incredible job. But at some point, the rest of the team needs to stand up and do their job. Suggesting that 24 for 40, 200 yards are bad statistics really, really does him no justice.

16 of 24 for 140 total, 113 net, thru 3 Qs. ~ 38 net YPQ

24/40 for 202 total, 140 net, 1 INT, 62.7 rating thru game ~ 35 net YPQ, 10 drives ~ 14 net yards/drive

askabry
10-15-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN

as another fan is wont to say... don't confuse me with the facts. I've already made up my mind.

Well, thanks for playing I guess is all I can say. Please pick up your parting gifts on the way out.

eyedog
10-15-2003, 10:40 AM
It's really pretty simple to solve the problems with this offense. It falls on the heads of the o-line. I don't care who's at wr, if you give DB time to throw he will move the team and complete passes. If by some chance they ever are capable of running for more than two yards per carry they will then be able to play-action also. This o-line is the problem with the whole offense. They are not doing the job.

HenryRules
10-15-2003, 10:40 AM
I don't recall anyone saying the offense as a whole did well Wys. That's all that your stats can indicate because a statistic for offense cannot isolate the contributions of a QB from the contributions of his receivers/OLs

Michael82
10-15-2003, 11:00 AM
Apparently, the sports editors and other sites don't agree with you....

Here's other QB Grades from the Jets game
1. Democrat & Chronicle: D
2. Buffalo News: D
3. Bills Digest (official newspaper of the Buffalo Bills): D
4. BillsDaily: F

askabry
10-15-2003, 11:09 AM
Thanks Mike, but I'm not concerned with the ratings of billsdaily.

And to wys's point ... great. Plenty of statistics. Fails to refute the argument.

Why? Because there isn't a counterpoint. Through the second possession in the third quarter, Bledsoe was throwing to four or five receivers downfield, who were being covered by seven. Alternately, there were AT LEAST five blockers taking care of four rushing lineman.

And our line was not up to the task. The more amazing question is how did Drew not get intercepted more frequently?

People like wys will try to amaze you with stupid statistics. QB rating? It's a flawed number and in the case of this game made worse by the circumstances. But again ... that would require you to <i>look at the game</i>.

Fat Tony
10-15-2003, 11:15 AM
Thanks Mike, but I'm not concerned with the ratings of billsdaily.

And to wys's point ... great. Plenty of statistics. Fails to refute the argument.

Why? Because there isn't a counterpoint. Through the second possession in the third quarter, Bledsoe was throwing to four or five receivers downfield, who were being covered by seven. Alternately, there were AT LEAST five blockers taking care of four rushing lineman.

And our line was not up to the task. The more amazing question is how did Drew not get intercepted more frequently?

People like wys will try to amaze you with stupid statistics. QB rating? It's a flawed number and in the case of this game made worse by the circumstances. But again ... that would require you to <i>look at the game</i>.

Excellent post, Ask! :up:

I guess if we dropped Brett Farve back there, he'd be the one getting his rear end kicked.

Is Bledsoe the best? Not by far- but given a supporting cast he can light it on fire- like most other players.

But in certain people's eyes, that makes me some blind lemming. :deadhorse

It could have been much, much worse- he didn't throw it for the sake of throwing it - look at AVP

Michael82
10-15-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Fat Tony
Excellent post, Ask! :up:

I guess if we dropped Brett Farve back there, he'd be the one getting his rear end kicked.

Is Bledsoe the best? Not by far- but given a supporting cast he can light it on fire- like most other players.

But in certain people's eyes, that makes me some blind lemming. :deadhorse

It could have been much, much worse- he didn't throw it for the sake of throwing it - look at AVP

That's why he didn't get an F! :snicker:

stuckincincy
10-15-2003, 11:18 AM

N-U-T-Z. U got a bad line U move about a bit. U don't fixate on one receiver like U do on a fold-out. U say some deserved unkind words to other players now and again. U go under center, and with 10+ years of experience, U adapt to what's in front of U now and again. U got a $100M contract. U live up to it. :tongue:

Michael82
10-15-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by stuckincincy
N-U-T-Z. U got a bad line U move about a bit. U don't fixate on one receiver like U do on a fold-out. U say some deserved unkind words to other players now and again. U go under center, and with 10+ years of experience, U adapt to what's in front of U now and again. U got a $100M contract. U live up to it. :tongue:

He also didn't take charge and wasn't out there screaming and yelling when they were losing. He didn't try to charge them up, and he is supposed to be the leader of the offense. I didn't see ANY leading out there. :rolleyes:

helmetguy
10-15-2003, 11:42 AM
Stuck, it would certainly be great to have a QB with the arm of George, the accuracy of Aikman, the speed of Vick, and the agility of Cunningham. Find me one, and I'll bow before you.

Granted, Bledsoe got a mammoth contract from Mr. Kraft up un NE. Do you REALLY think Mr. Kraft expected to pay out every penny of it? Now that I think of it, do you REALLY think that, when Bruce Smith's contract was extended here, that John Butler expected Smith to still be a Bill when the final two years of his contract kicked in? That's where the bulk of the "salary" was allocated.

Does Bledsoe play like a $100 million QB? Nope! Does McNabb? Nope! Does ANY QB? HELL NO!!! What you, Wys, and several others are expecting is for Bledsoe to overcome the deficiencies of every other player in the franchise, in all phases of the game. Bledsoe is certainly putting forth the effort to TRY and live up to that expectation. I like that in a guy. JK was the same way.

In response to your observation that "U got a bad line U move arouns a bit..." where do you move? The pressure is coming from everywhere. Someone up front (who is getting PAID to pass protect) isn't earning his keep, either. Keep it in perspective. Trent Dilfer and Mark Rypien are SB winning QBs. Did they have HALF the tools of Bledsoe? The bottom line is that,in Buffalo, you have a roster full of above average talent in total disarray. Bledsoe is just one piece of that. Grade him poorly if you want, but start looking around at the other places where, in "G" (for genius)Williams' words "We have to get better in that area."
Given even a slight chance, Bledso could live up to expectations; provided that EVERYONE ELSE lives up to his!

Throne Logic
10-15-2003, 12:05 PM
The way I see it, Bledsoe has done a complete 180 in regards to this year's performance as it relates to last year's performance.

Last year: Drew was the undisputed leader of this team. Players worked harder for him and he demanded more. Unfortunately, he was still very apt to make rash decisions when rational ones were prudent.

This year: Drew has actually made much better decisions, overall, compared to last year. Unfortunately, the team around him could care less and Drew has done very little in his "leadership" roll to get them in that fighting mood.

I, like many others, attribute this ultimately to the coaching. GW & company have lost the respect of this team. And it comes as no shocker. Blocking schemes are crappy, game plans could have been drafted up in the sand by Midget-ballers, and the overall heart of this team is non-existant.

Drew is not to blame for the current state of the team. He's not completely innocent of all charges here, but he doesn't deserve the hot poker he's been getting from fans and the media. That stick should be rammed up GW's rear-end.

stuckincincy
10-15-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
Stuck, it would certainly be great to have a QB with the arm of George, the accuracy of Aikman, the speed of Vick, and the agility of Cunningham. Find me one, and I'll bow before you.

Granted, Bledsoe got a mammoth contract from Mr. Kraft up un NE. Do you REALLY think Mr. Kraft expected to pay out every penny of it? Now that I think of it, do you REALLY think that, when Bruce Smith's contract was extended here, that John Butler expected Smith to still be a Bill when the final two years of his contract kicked in? That's where the bulk of the &quot;salary&quot; was allocated.

Does Bledsoe play like a $100 million QB? Nope! Does McNabb? Nope! Does ANY QB? HELL NO!!! What you, Wys, and several others are expecting is for Bledsoe to overcome the deficiencies of every other player in the franchise, in all phases of the game. Bledsoe is certainly putting forth the effort to TRY and live up to that expectation. I like that in a guy. JK was the same way.

In response to your observation that &quot;U got a bad line U move arouns a bit...&quot; where do you move? The pressure is coming from everywhere. Someone up front (who is getting PAID to pass protect) isn't earning his keep, either. Keep it in perspective. Trent Dilfer and Mark Rypien are SB winning QBs. Did they have HALF the tools of Bledsoe? The bottom line is that,in Buffalo, you have a roster full of above average talent in total disarray. Bledsoe is just one piece of that. Grade him poorly if you want, but start looking around at the other places where, in &quot;G&quot; (for genius)Williams' words &quot;We have to get better in that area.&quot;
Given even a slight chance, Bledso could live up to expectations; provided that EVERYONE ELSE lives up to his!

I understand your comments fully. NFL contracts are indeed nebulous things. Yes, problems are manifest. However, qb expectations are always high. The history of the NFL has plenty of examples of what a moxie qb can accomplish. All sports are a matter of an inch here or there bringing a win or a loss...I know that. I don't expect the guy to wrest a SB title single-handed, but it's really disheartening when one perceives a lack of effort, like I do. What irks me is that #11 shows no appearent concern, if not to right the ship at least to keep it from shipping more water.

I'm sorry to say it, but my impression is that of a guy just going through the motions. I am dismayed that I feel that way, but there you have it. :idunno:

askabry
10-15-2003, 12:15 PM
So I see ... we're going to castigate the guy for statistics, but if that doesn't work shoot him for not yelling? Marino yelled all the time. He wasn't a leader.

From everything I've read, Bledsoe pretty much has the leadership thing down pat. Unfortunately, he hasn't got the "make silk purse out of the sow's ear that plays RG" down just yet, or the "I'll throw the ball and catch it".

Nice post Helmet. One more fan (NUTZ) with the deep insight to point up stupid information. "Oh he signed a $100000000000000000000000000000" contract. Turn on the lamplight friend. The Bills are on the hook for about the same amount of money for pretty much chump change right now. Do you get many All-Pro QBs for $6MM? Want to pay McNabb's contract?

And for all that want McNabb, Vick and Garcia ... I'm sorry the guy we signed doesn't run with the ball. You know what everyone of those guys up there can't do very well? Throw the ball long and accurately. Ask a Philly fan about McNabb. Get TO to commit to Garcia's weak arm. Tell me how Vick can thread a needle (yeah, yeah maybe someday. But right now the guy is heating a seat with $15MM worth of bonus money in his pocket).

You've got a pocket QB. It's a little disingenious to sign a pocket QB and then complain he doesn't move enough for you, isn't it?

Wouldn't be more appropriate to give the strong-armed, pocket QB you have the sort of protection to exploit a defense, or the tools at WR that stretch the field? Nope. Let's all sit around and complain about his sacks while you play a rotating pig at RG and leave 4.2 speed or incredible hands on the bench in favor of Josh Reed.

Seems to make perfect sense to me.

WG
10-15-2003, 12:16 PM
OOPS!!!

Meant for a PM...

Apologies....!!!

SABURZFAN
10-15-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282

1. Democrat &amp; Chronicle: D

sounds about right though i don't agree with the F.

Gunzlingr
10-15-2003, 01:48 PM
I suppose it was the Oline's fault that Drew tried to force passes to Moulds in the Miami game when he had T.Henry wide open to the right. I could have picked off Drew's passes when he stares down the receiver.

If anybody claims Wys has tunnel vision when it comes down to Bledsoes faults, I present aksbry's tunnel vision on his greatness.

HenryRules
10-15-2003, 01:51 PM
when did askabry say bledsoe was great? I believe he has been saying all along that he is a solid QB, not great.

As to the Miami game ... what relevance does that have to his grading for the Jets game?
Most everyone has admitted that Drew played poorly in Miami. Who said he didn't?

Gunzlingr
10-15-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules

As to the Miami game ... what relevance does that have to his grading for the Jets game?
Most everyone has admitted that Drew played poorly in Miami. Who said he didn't?

It is a trend :D I don't see the Bledsoe from last year. Like previously posted, he was the leader, fired up, and looking to bring glory to our franchise. This year he gets out performed by a dumbo eared geek, and a quarterback that is old enough to remember that Al Jolson was the original Jazz Singer. I am merely saying that the grades fit the performance. I am not a sports expert by no means, but the overall all play of our QB has been below average.

askabry
10-15-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by gunzlingr
I suppose it was the Oline's fault that Drew tried to force passes to Moulds in the Miami game when he had T.Henry wide open to the right. I could have picked off Drew's passes when he stares down the receiver.

If anybody claims Wys has tunnel vision when it comes down to Bledsoes faults, I present aksbry's tunnel vision on his greatness.

This represents the worst post in the entire thread. Congratulations.

First of all, the whole point of the thread involves the Jets game. Jets game. The Jets game. That would have been the game on Sunday, played in the Meadowlands.

Second, as other people point out, I never ... in fact ever ... have pointed out that Drew Bledsoe is anything more than a pretty good QB. Somehow, you've gone through this entire thread and gotten greatness or in other threads.

Do yourself a favor. Send Wys a PM. Ask him if I've ever suggested that of our QB.

And next time, even if you're just playing in the backyard ...wear a helmet.

TigerJ
10-15-2003, 06:19 PM
Hey, Ask, the saying in my sig originates with my college roommate. If anyone else said it first I don't know. His point, and mine, is self explanatory. Sometimes people's opinions are more precious to them than the truth. I hope I'm not that way.

Fat Tony
10-15-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282

1. Democrat & Chronicle: D

ooooh... people like Peter Prisco gave Drew an F or a D. Gimme a break- and some professional's opinions- like fellow coaches and former players.

I would love to see what someone like 'Jaws" (Ron Jaworski) would have to say - I love those Monday morning QB segments on ESPN where he breaks down the film and puts it into english

The_Philster
10-15-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Fat Tony
ooooh... people like Peter Prisco gave Drew an F or a D. Gimme a break- and some professional's opinions- like fellow coaches and former players.

I would love to see what someone like 'Jaws" (Ron Jaworski) would have to say - I love those Monday morning QB segments on ESPN where he breaks down the film and puts it into english

Jaws Rocks!!! :hail: Jaws

askabry
10-16-2003, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by TigerJ
Hey, Ask, the saying in my sig originates with my college roommate. If anyone else said it first I don't know. His point, and mine, is self explanatory. Sometimes people's opinions are more precious to them than the truth. I hope I'm not that way.

I like the quote, was familiar with it before but enjoy seeing it, use it often by trying to keep my mind open (like a parachute, the only way it works) and no, I don't see you that way.

There are posters hereabouts that to whom it might apply.

Ickybaluky
10-16-2003, 07:26 AM
D or F does seem kind of harsh. However, C seems about right.

The fact is, since his hot start Drew has been an average QB.

Here are the numbers:

First 6 games in 2002:

167-for-251 (66.5%), 2,106 Yds (8.03 Yds/Att), 14 TD, 5 Int, 101.3 QB Rating

Since then (16 games):

324-for-555 (58.4%), 3,694 Yds (6.66 Yds/Att), 15 TD, 14 Int, 77.0 QB Rating.

Those numbers tell the story. Drew played like a Hall-of-Famer for 6 games, but has been average since. He is a very good QB when given time to throw, but teams that know how to defend him, and that are good enough to do so, expose him as an average QB.

askabry
10-16-2003, 08:36 AM
Well, those numbers are certainly fair. I look at a player like Drew and realize he's not at all a guy you can review at the end of the year and look at aggregate numbers.

Wys and I are alike at least in that regard. Averages don't tell the tale with Drew; when he's hot, he's white hot. Wys thinks the lows are too low, too frequent and always against inferior competition. I don't.

Unfortunately, we've teamed him up with a OC who only knows one way to push the throttle, never considering the alternatives. Used properly, with the right players around him he can be better than any alternate, similarly expensed QB.