X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • askabry
    • Jul 2002

Drew gets a D-

Quarterback: Drew Bledsoe had a poor game and that’s why the grade is so low. His stats for the day were 24 of 40 for 202 yards, and 1 interception. He looked out of sync with his receivers all day and overthrew everyone. Bledsoe took way too many sacks and looked like Rob Johnson at times, on Sunday. He also fumbled a ball when he took a sack. The other thing that stuck out to me was that he lost his swagger. There were times when he was on the field and threw an incomplete pass and he looked emotionless. I don’t know what happened to him, but he is getting paid way too much money to have performances like this. Hopefully we will see more out of him next week. Alex Van Pelt did receive one snap at the end of the game and it was an interception. Overall, it was not a good day at all for this unit. Grade: D-
    Take a look at the game tape, and divide it like this; after the second drive of the second half, and before then.

What you will find is this; Drew played against a seven-man secondary for most of three quarters, with four guys running patterns. On top of that, their entire secondary played within 20 yards of the LOS. With that, he was under nearly constant pressure and often had to break off passes specifically to compensate for Pucillo/Teague/Brown.

For emphasis, we spent that entire time blocking nearly always 5 on 4. In fact, the entire game we were blocking 5 on 4, and sometimes heaven forbid we went our five against their five.

One play in particular stands out. After successive penalties, Bledsoe's feet were in the end zone on a pass and Dwayne Robertson nearly sacking him ... but he fired a pass that resulted in a sizeable gain.

Giving Drew Bledsoe a D- is akin to saying the defense gave up too many yards on the run against Miami. Through three quarters, the defense (and Drew) did an incredible job. But at some point, the rest of the team needs to stand up and do their job. Suggesting that 24 for 40, 200 yards are bad statistics really, really does him no justice.
    what the last four years of a Republican House, Senate and Presidency has gotten us ...
    • tax cuts for the wealthy in the hundreds of billions
    • 1,000 dead American servicemen
    • the U.S. Constitution trampled upon
    • our national debt growing into the TRILLIONS of dollars
    • implicit lies and consistent obfuscations of the truth regarding Iraq

I can hardly wait to see what four more years will get us.
  • askabry
    • Jul 2002

And just one other thing ... let's see... we have a 31 year old, 10 year veteran QB on the one hand and rookie WRs on the other.

The QB appears to be "out-of-sync" with his wideouts. So... the natural thing would be to blame the QB right? In what alternate universe do you blame the veteran QB instead of ... um ... Josh friggin Reed?
    what the last four years of a Republican House, Senate and Presidency has gotten us ...

Comment

• HenryRules
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by askabry
      And just one other thing ... let's see... we have a 31 year old, 10 year veteran QB on the one hand and rookie WRs on the other.

The QB appears to be "out-of-sync" with his wideouts. So... the natural thing would be to blame the QB right? In what alternate universe do you blame the veteran QB instead of ... um ... Josh friggin Reed?
      I agree with you completely (on both points, but this was the bottom one so I quoted it).

Comment

• askabry
        • Jul 2002

Thanks HenryRules.

It amazes me that Bledsoe can be the lightning rod for criticism after that game. At some point, you have to look at the entire team's performance.

Comment

• eyedog
          • Jul 2002

I'm glad some people understand what is going on out there. Totally agree.

Comment

• BuffaloRanger
            WORK HARD. PLAY HARD. LIVE HARD.
            • Mar 2003

I concur. QBs get too much credit after wins sometimes, but they take too much of the blame after losses. I hope it's just frustration speaking when fans say we need to bench or cut Bledsoe loose. Who would you replace him with? Star QBs don't appear out of nowhere. Drafting a QB would leave this team in a Todd Collins like era for 2 seasons until he potentially became a star. By that time Moulds is going downhill, our D will need to be revamped, etc. As someone already said, this team has been built for this year and next. Brunell will be available - is he the answer. How about Plummer or Stewart, they were FAs this year?
            We've all seen Bledsoe thread too many needles and make great passes. Why all of a sudden do fans think he lost it?

Bottom Line - There is nobody better available anytime soon.
            Buffalo Only and Always.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
              short bus extraordinaire
              • Jul 2002

no excuse.drew didn't have that good of a game whether you use stats or not.D- sounds about right.look at the friggin score and convince me that 3 points warrants a higher grade.
              Originally posted by yordad
              Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• HenryRules
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BuffaloRanger
                I concur. QBs get too much credit after wins sometimes, but they take too much of the blame after losses.
                I can't remember where it was ... i think it was in the NY Post or something ... but just after the Limbaugh incident a columnist wrote an article along the same thinking.

Basically his point was that, yes, McNabb is overrated, but no, it's not because he's black, but because he is a QB and the importance of all QB's is overrated.

Comment

• HenryRules
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by SABURZFAN
                  no excuse.drew didn't have that good of a game whether you use stats or not.D- sounds about right.look at the friggin score and convince me that 3 points warrants a higher grade.
                  It's the process that you should examine ... not the result.

Drew did his part ... he can't throw and run routes and pass block and run block and run/catch the ball.

A QB's job is to do precisely that, a QB's job. The success of a passing play requires the QB, OL, and WRs to succeed. Putting all the blame on a single player based on stats is not accurate.

With no stats, it's obvious to see he did what he could. Definitely not an A+ game (but that wasn't mentioned) ... I'd say a C+/B- though.

Comment

• Wys Guy
                    Drew and Sam stole all my hair
                    • Jul 2002

Re: Drew gets a D-

Originally posted by askabry

Take a look at the game tape, and divide it like this; after the second drive of the second half, and before then.

What you will find is this; Drew played against a seven-man secondary for most of three quarters, with four guys running patterns. On top of that, their entire secondary played within 20 yards of the LOS. With that, he was under nearly constant pressure and often had to break off passes specifically to compensate for Pucillo/Teague/Brown.

For emphasis, we spent that entire time blocking nearly always 5 on 4. In fact, the entire game we were blocking 5 on 4, and sometimes heaven forbid we went our five against their five.

One play in particular stands out. After successive penalties, Bledsoe's feet were in the end zone on a pass and Dwayne Robertson nearly sacking him ... but he fired a pass that resulted in a sizeable gain.

Giving Drew Bledsoe a D- is akin to saying the defense gave up too many yards on the run against Miami. Through three quarters, the defense (and Drew) did an incredible job. But at some point, the rest of the team needs to stand up and do their job. Suggesting that 24 for 40, 200 yards are bad statistics really, really does him no justice.
                    16 of 24 for 140 total, 113 net, thru 3 Qs. ~ 38 net YPQ

24/40 for 202 total, 140 net, 1 INT, 62.7 rating thru game ~ 35 net YPQ, 10 drives ~ 14 net yards/drive
                    Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• askabry
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by SABURZFAN
                      as another fan is wont to say... don't confuse me with the facts. I've already made up my mind.

Well, thanks for playing I guess is all I can say. Please pick up your parting gifts on the way out.

Comment

• HenryRules
                        • Jul 2002

I don't recall anyone saying the offense as a whole did well Wys. That's all that your stats can indicate because a statistic for offense cannot isolate the contributions of a QB from the contributions of his receivers/OLs

Comment

• eyedog
                          • Jul 2002

It's really pretty simple to solve the problems with this offense. It falls on the heads of the o-line. I don't care who's at wr, if you give DB time to throw he will move the team and complete passes. If by some chance they ever are capable of running for more than two yards per carry they will then be able to play-action also. This o-line is the problem with the whole offense. They are not doing the job.

Comment

• Michael82
                            • Jul 2002

Apparently, the sports editors and other sites don't agree with you....

Here's other QB Grades from the Jets game
                            1. Democrat & Chronicle: D
                            2. Buffalo News: D
                            3. Bills Digest (official newspaper of the Buffalo Bills): D
                            4. BillsDaily: F

Comment

• askabry
                              • Jul 2002

Thanks Mike, but I'm not concerned with the ratings of billsdaily.

And to wys's point ... great. Plenty of statistics. Fails to refute the argument.

Why? Because there isn't a counterpoint. Through the second possession in the third quarter, Bledsoe was throwing to four or five receivers downfield, who were being covered by seven. Alternately, there were AT LEAST five blockers taking care of four rushing lineman.

And our line was not up to the task. The more amazing question is how did Drew not get intercepted more frequently?

People like wys will try to amaze you with stupid statistics. QB rating? It's a flawed number and in the case of this game made worse by the circumstances. But again ... that would require you to look at the game.

Comment

Working...
                              X