PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Line: Can It Be Saved This Season?

E-Klips
10-15-2003, 02:53 PM
Do you think there's any way to get this line to play some good football? Anyone think that if they were to replace Pucillo that it would make this line good enough to run the ball well? Any other suggestions? I would like to see them give Sobieski a try at center and also let Marques Sullivan play at right guard. I'd keep the other guys at their positions and see how those changes would help. In the offseason, I'd make the guard position one of my top priorities draft-wise. We could use a couple huge road grader types who can knock people off the ball and jump start a power running game. What do you guys think?

G. Host
10-15-2003, 02:59 PM
I think the OL is too tenative. They have been told to "maximum protect" Drew and hence their running game has been terrible.

I would rather have Jennings as center as originally planned but obviously professional opnions think otherwise. Sullivan was not very good IMO so I'd rather see Ross Tucker in as guard.

Sobieski appears to green to play NFL center right now. People forget Kent Hull had two years of practice playing professional USFL football before coming to Bills.

HenryRules
10-15-2003, 03:35 PM
I think it has to be capable of getting better ... we weren't this pathetic last year. I didn't expect greatness from this line, but I thought they were capable of at least average.

I don't know what we can do. I wasn't a huge fan of Sullivan's, but can see him being worse than Pucillo.

I don't like the idea of moving Jennings to center ... if I remember correctly Teague actually looked better than JJ at C when they tried it last offseason.

I'd much rather see us go the FA route instead of the draft for G's this offseason. Our line is young enough as it is, we need to get some guys in their prime in here.

stuckincincy
10-16-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by E-Klips
Do you think there's any way to get this line to play some good football? Anyone think that if they were to replace Pucillo that it would make this line good enough to run the ball well? Any other suggestions? I would like to see them give Sobieski a try at center and also let Marques Sullivan play at right guard. I'd keep the other guys at their positions and see how those changes would help. In the offseason, I'd make the guard position one of my top priorities draft-wise. We could use a couple huge road grader types who can knock people off the ball and jump start a power running game. What do you guys think?

I suspect the offensive play-calling is a meaningful contributor. If I recall correctly, all of the 3rd down plays vs Jets were passes.

I'd stated somewhere a few days ago, that the bill's playbook has been published by Marvel comics, :D and that even Hellen Keller, bless her soul, could diagnose the bill's offensive sets.

Regarding a guard pick. Yes indeed. I've posted time and again my surprise that Steinback of Iowa was bypassed. He's on the Cincy squad, started every game and is doing quite a good job.

CLE picked C Jeff Faine at #22 just before the bills.

I hope WMG pans out, but a top notch guard and/or center tend to be a rock on an offensive line for a long time.

justasportsfan
10-16-2003, 09:22 AM
The talent is there. I think Ruel got them confused.

BuffaloRanger
10-16-2003, 09:28 AM
AHHHHHH, Jeff Faine. He was my dream pick. I agree with HenryRules - pick up a FA stud OL. Say what you want about Kyle Turly, but Buffalo fans would have loved him, and he would have brought some serious attitude. There's got to be one FA next offseason willing to test the market. Especially if it's "known" that we are looking.

Does anyone still underestimate the importance of a strong O-line now. I thought we'd be screwed if a lineman got i_____ed. (Didn't want to jinx it.) But it looks bad now - and their healthy.

stuckincincy
10-16-2003, 09:39 AM
Something's wrong with this thread. Not an ounce of venom has been spewed yet. :D

E-Klips
10-16-2003, 09:42 AM
Good. Keep it that way. I'm all for some good ol' fashioned football talk!

generalmills
10-16-2003, 09:55 AM
With regards to the bills troubles with the o-line....as you said earlier it has to do with being told to "max protect" Bledsoe...It has been said many times before that running the football requires attitude. In order to open up holes you have to beleive that you are stronger and more explosive then the man you are trying to block across the line...On Sunday night in an interview with channel 7, FB Sam Gash talked about how he has never been on an offence that was known to be finess...In fact when Sam was brought here it was under the impression to most fans and probably sam himself that the line along with Gash and Henry would pound the team into a power running force in the NFL...The attitude required to do this... I believe must be enstilled by leaders like Ruben Brown...and even Jonas Jennings....As for Mike Williams aka "The Dancing Bear"...this guy needs to get his confidence back to the way it was in college where he never gave up a single sack during his entire collegiate career!
Pucillo is hopeless...and no matter how far out of favour Sullivan dropped during mini-camp and training camp...he is worth a shot!! atleast let the guy dress!!
Someone on this line has to step up and set a fire under these big men.... the success of the offence depends on em!:madfire:

HenryRules
10-16-2003, 10:03 AM
GM ... I think you have MW confused with Bryant McKinnie ... MW allowed a few sacks in his college career, but McKinnie didn't.

I agree with most of the rest of your post, although I think that a good run blocking line can also be a good pass blocking line (and vice versa). I don't think the "max protect" has as much of an impact as I think that the fact the OL never created any holes this season has ruined their confidence/attitude.

The Spaz
10-16-2003, 10:04 AM
Well Mckinnie has allowed his share of sacks in the Pro's that's for sure.

E-Klips
10-16-2003, 10:08 AM
Right now, they should let guys like Sullivan, Price, and Sobieski get in there to see what they can do. They could use the experience, and we need to find out if we have the absolute best 5 guys out there. Pucillo just doesen't seem to be worthy of a starting roster spot. He's getting overpowered so much, it's sickening to watch. Teague may also need to either change positions or be demoted. There is no push up the middle with these guys! Ruben Brown is playing so poorly this year. He's not a factor in either the running game or the passing game, unless he's being called for another dumb penalty. Changes are needed, and fast.

helmetguy
10-16-2003, 09:12 PM
Just goes to show you how just one weak spot on the O-line can be devistating to the entire unit. Teague and Big Mike are affected most, since they line up beside Pucillo. Proximity alone requires that they assist him. As such, the left side of the line must compensate, as well. With KG's petulent resistance to the running game, opponents have resorted to merely having to "show blitz." Reading blitz, what options does Bledsoe have? In the worst cases, he's thrown into double coverage; the defense, having shown blitz, often has simply disguised a basic Cover Two.