PDA

View Full Version : Interesting payroll article...

NoCtUrNaL
09-28-2002, 12:36 AM
...HERE (http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1422828.html)

Cntrygal
09-28-2002, 12:45 AM
good find noc.

I thought that the fish would be higher up on the list though.....

venis2k1
09-28-2002, 01:31 AM
wow, thats supprises me for 2 reasons:

1. the pats are in the top 10 lowest salaries, and have 2 first round picks this year. not to mention the best coach in the nfl at the helm. they are gonna be a pain in the butt for years to come.

2.The Phins are in the top 10 lowest, why do i keep hearing that next year they will be in cap hell, someone please explain this to me.

venis2k1
09-28-2002, 01:31 AM
ohhhh and that the jets salaries are more then twice that of the packers!!!

SABURZFAN
09-28-2002, 06:22 AM
what about #7?(i'm not talking about the midget either)it didn't take the Butthole long to blow that salary cap skyhigh.they were in good shape before he went to san diego.

Bufftp
09-28-2002, 06:54 AM
"The average payroll, which is reflective of actual player-related costs and is far different than a team's salary cap total, is $61.99 million. Fifteen teams exceed the average. The average base salary is $622,375 and 16 franchise are above that mean level."

This isn't Salary Cap version of Payroll. Actual cash out vrs amortised bonuses ect.

itsandthings
09-28-2002, 07:12 AM
The Patriots were among the 2 lowest payrolls in the league in the 2 prior seasons Belichick was head coach. They are up a little bit this season because of re-signing some of their own players.

In terms of cap leverage, the Patriots are in excellent shape, better than any other team in the AFC East. That doesn't mean the Pats have the lowest cap number next year, but rather they have the least amount of future signing bonus amortized into future years, which gives them great flexibility with a lot of their contracts (the Jets are the worst in the division). That is what is important, as all NFL deals are really 1-year deals, and the only thing that matters is the amount of dead money the team would take a hit on if the player was released. That is the key to managing the cap, you want your highest signing bonus amortization attached to your best players.

NoCtUrNaL
09-28-2002, 07:34 AM
It seems a team’s general manger is as important to that team as the starting QB. Maybe they should qualify for MVP award consideration too.

SABURZFAN
09-28-2002, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Bufftp
"The average payroll, which is reflective of actual player-related costs and is far different than a team's salary cap total, is $61.99 million. Fifteen teams exceed the average. The average base salary is $622,375 and 16 franchise are above that mean level."

This isn't Salary Cap version of Payroll. Actual cash out vrs amortised bonuses ect.

OOPS!!!!i misread it.i STILL had to bust on the butthole though.it's been a while.