PDA

View Full Version : Sam Gash and others begin to voice out against offense

Michael82
10-16-2003, 12:44 PM
This is from the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle...and I heard on WGR that other players have started saying the same thing. :snicker:

http://www.rochesterdandc.com/sports/bills/1016FI23AB4_billsnotes16_bills.shtml

Gash stands by words: Fullback Sam Gash didn’t back down from his post-game comments that the Bills are operating as a finesse team, and he doesn’t like it.

“I wasn’t saying anything about anybody’s manhood or how the coaches are making calls, but I think we didn’t physically go out and impose our will on people,” Gash said of the Jets’ debacle. “Regardless if it’s passing or running, we have to have a mindset that we’re imposing our will on people as opposed to letting the game come to us. That has to be our approach.”

--------------------------------------------------------------

And then there's this part of the article about the offensive line. Look at how defensive Gregg gets when someone questions his calls. :snicker:

Ruel at fault? The Bills fired offensive line coach Ronnie Vinklarek after two seasons and replaced him with an equally inexperienced Pat Ruel, but the change isn’t producing results so far. Buffalo has allowed 17 sacks the past four games and the team is last in rushing at 57.5 yards per game.

“Right now, it’s not just the offensive line, the whole thing is not in sync,” coach Gregg Williams said of the offense. “You can’t lay it just on one coach or just one player.”

Why fire Vinklarek, who had the line headed in the right direction? Williams wouldn’t answer that line of questioning on Wednesday.

“I’m not going to get into discussing that,” he said. “That’s not anything about what the Redskins are about.”

So Ruel’s doing a good job?

“You ask me another question. I’m not going to make any comment about that,” Williams said.

HenryRules
10-16-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282
Why fire Vinklarek, who had the line headed in the right direction? Williams wouldn’t answer that line of questioning on Wednesday.

I wish someone could one day give an answer as to why firing Vinklarek was a good move. I thought Jennings, Williams, and Sullivan all progressed under his tenure.

All three have regressed this year IMO (well, I'm assuming Sullivan has regressed because his replacement is playing worse than he did).

Earthquake Enyart
10-16-2003, 12:53 PM
I thought the players all hated Vinklarek because he was a GW buddie who had amateur blocking schemes.

Michael82
10-16-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
I wish someone could one day give an answer as to why firing Vinklarek was a good move. I thought Jennings, Williams, and Sullivan all progressed under his tenure.

All three have regressed this year IMO (well, I'm assuming Sullivan has regressed because his replacement is playing worse than he did).

I blame Tom Donahoe for this one. The offensive line gave up too many sacks last year and had a ton of penalties. He was the scapegoat and also was GW's best friend. It killed Gregg to fire him, but TD insisted. Or maybe Ralph did.... :scratch:

HenryRules
10-16-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
I thought the players all hated Vinklarek because he was a GW buddie who had amateur blocking schemes.

Perhaps, but unless there was somebody better available (and if there was, we didn't hire him), you don't fire the guy. If Vinklarek was our best option (which I thought he was then and think he is now), then you keep him, regardless of how well he is doing compared to other people in the league.

This is the perfect example of what I'm afraid will happen if we fire GW.
Last year we had a middle-of-the-road line that could have been better so we fired the OL coach.

The replacement so far has been much worse than the original and the line is now much worse than it ever was last year.

justasportsfan
10-16-2003, 02:38 PM
Henry is supposed to voice out his displeasure re the running game anytime soon per WNSA

SABURZFAN
10-16-2003, 02:42 PM
it's about time somebody spoke up.

Michael82
10-16-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN
it's about time somebody spoke up.

EXACTLY!

The_Philster
10-16-2003, 05:19 PM
It's nice to see that the players are getting their heart back enough that they are getting pissed. Maybe, if the coaches don't put in the dumbest of all game plans, they can start to turn it around.

“I’m not going to get into discussing that,” he said. “That’s not anything about what the Redskins are about.”

So Ruel’s doing a good job?

“You ask me another question. I’m not going to make any comment about that,” Williams said.

How is it that he was so prepared to get this job, answering questions posed to him left and right...and he still refuses to answer these ones? :madcurse:

Michael82
10-16-2003, 05:25 PM
Okay, this makes me wonder if Sam Gash will be the next Buddy Ryan. :snicker:

Kevin Gilbride:shutit:Sam Gash

The_Philster
10-16-2003, 05:48 PM
Okay, this makes me wonder if Sam Gash will be the next Buddy Ryan. :snicker:

Kevin Gilbride:shutit:Sam Gash

Someone needs to be :snicker2:

helmetguy
10-16-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster

How is it that he was so prepared to get this job, answering questions posed to him left and right...and he still refuses to answer these ones? :madcurse:

Do you think anyone'd ask him REALLY tough questions in a job interview? All he had to do was say what they wanted to hear..."More disciplined, more physical, blah blah, blah..."

Those media questions? There's only one answer and, as soon as it oozes out of that gaping wound under his nose, HE'S GONE!

The answer? "I (GW) suck!"

TigerJ
10-16-2003, 08:01 PM
I was no fan of Ronnie Vinklarek. I thought and hoped Pat Ruell would do a better job. So far, like everyone else, I'm disappointed. Somewhere I heard that Gilbride pays zero attention to blocking schemes in designing plays. Maybe that's where we need to look.

Mr. Miyagi
10-16-2003, 08:26 PM
GW's response sounds like somebody whose lie got revealed and was confronted. I hear a defensive, guilty, shameful, frightened, and confused man.

socalfan
10-16-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
....Somewhere I heard that Gilbride pays zero attention to blocking schemes in designing plays. Maybe that's where we need to look.

How can a play be design without blocking schemes.....Maybe I'm just too old and they have new methods, but do they not use X's and O's anymore?

MDFINFAN
10-17-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by socalfan

How can a play be design without blocking schemes.....Maybe I'm just too old and they have new methods, but do they not use X's and O's anymore?

It's called technique..Line Coaches teach technique on how to block a play. They're given the ladditude to teach what blocks and how are to take place first. Since there are multiply defenses to block, OL coaches get a chance to design how to check from the original drawn up play into how to block a particular d line up. This is where a OL coach earns or loses his credibility. A good line coach knows how to put his OL in the right calls and have blocking schemes for just about any situation..that's why you see most centers calling the blocking scheme for a D formation based on the play called in the huddle...bad blocking scheme leads to low run yards and any sacks.

HenryRules
10-17-2003, 10:08 AM
Gash said some more in today's Buffalo news:

"For whatever reason, we caught up in the wrong things like this play isn't called enough or that play is getting called a lot and this one is not," Gash said. "We just have to take the mind-set that whatever play is called, regardless if it's a run, pass or whatever, we have to execute. I think we've been kind of forecasting things as opposed to playing in the moment. Instead of thinking down the line, we have to focus on executing that play at that time for this particular situation. If we do that, we'll be fine."

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20031017/1040865.asp

Ð
10-17-2003, 10:30 AM
He's the anti-Keyshawn....

Not "gimme the damn ball" but "Give the tailback the damn ball so I can contribute" :up: