PDA

View Full Version : Running The Ball And Stopping The Run

BIG_BAD_BEAR
09-28-2002, 07:13 AM
I don't see the Bills being able to do either this week.

Henry's numbers have fallen off every week so far.

ATrain's numbers have gotten better every week so far, and now that he has his FB Shelton back this week, it could be a long game for the Bills D.

I don't care who the QB and WRs are, even though the Bills might have the best tandem in the league, a one-dimensional offense isn't going to beat the Bears.

How do the Bills plan on stopping ATrain , and how do they expect to get Henry going on offense?

Dozerdog
09-28-2002, 07:21 AM
Welcome to the board, Big Bad Bear!

I agree with you that the Bills will have problems on both sides of the Ball in the running game. With Mt Washington on the sidelines this week, the Bills have a better chance at jump starting Henry. Don't sell this young OL short to soon. Already they are gelling. Mike Williams will be a force real soon.

Back to Sunday. - The Bills , if forced into a one dimensional attack, can still beat the monsters of the Midway. If the Bills can exploit the Bears' thin secondary early and get a quick decent lead, it may take A-train out of the equation.

It was unfortunate the Bears did not grab Bledsoe when they had the chance and the Cap space. I had them penciled in as the NFC Super Bowl team if they pulled that off.

Good luck to you this weekend!

BIG_BAD_BEAR
09-28-2002, 07:33 AM
Dozer,

Thanks for the welcome! I was posting on buffalobills.com , but they aren't too talkative over there. They actually told me to come here bc there are some football gurus here.

Myself, I love to talk football. This weeks matchup is really interesting.

DaBears:Smashmouth, run first team , noted for their LBs and defense

Bills:Lethal through the air, pass first team, noted for their QB/WRs and their offense

That was a real bummer this offseason that we didn't get Bledsoe. Man, that's all we needed to win the NFC in my eyes. I still have faith that Miller will get banged out and Chandler will come and save the day. But , who knows?

Just how you said don't sell our OL short, I'm telling you not to sell our DL short.

We are missing two starters, Washington and Daniels, on our D line. However, Washington's backup is 320 lbs Alfonso Boone, and Daniels backup is veteran Keith McKenzie. Both guys are still very very tough against the run. This D line held McAllister to 17 rushes for 45 yds, about 2.65 yds per carry.

I can't wait to watch this game. Two of the better franchises in the league with great tradition and great fans going at it.

I really hope it rains during the game!

Cntrygal
09-28-2002, 09:26 AM
Welcome Bear...... Good luck .............. in week 5. ;)

LABillsFan
09-28-2002, 09:27 AM
Rain like it did during the FSU/Louisville game? That was insane, but fun to watch.
Welcome B cubed. If both Dl's play tough against the run I think you'll see the passing game of the Bills take control. Miller can't be relied on the to the game if he doesn't have Atrain keeping the D on their heels. I'm looking for a low scoring game 17-13. The punters will be the stars of the game.

JefftheBillsfan
09-28-2002, 09:43 AM
welcome! finally, someone who wants to actually talk football and not just rant about how the bills "suck" and that their team "rules"! I agree, this is a very interesting matchup. RW McQuarters is a solid CB IMO, good enough to contain moulds i think, but not stop him. As far as Price and Reed, well, easy pickens for us. Will we be able to run the ball. I doubt it. If we can, I think our best bet may be running outside this week away from their massive D-Line. So, I think Bryson should see a good bulk of carries this week. I see the Bills scoring about 20.

Bears have the ball: I expect a similar strategy that we had against the Jets. Put everyone in the box except Nate and Antoine. It worked pretty well against the Jets, and I think we will have similar results. I expect to give up about 17.

I think both teams are about dead even, leaving the team with home field the winners, in this case, us.

4thAndLong
09-28-2002, 09:57 AM
McQuarters is injured, Jeff.

If we can get the pass going early, maybe we can start running...I have confidence that our O can beat any D in the league.

31-28 Bills

JefftheBillsfan
09-28-2002, 10:03 AM
well...that changes things...

WG
09-28-2002, 11:06 AM
Welcome BEAR!!!

Jeff, yeah, and 2 other DBs are injured as well. Da Bears are hurtin' in the secondary. Not a good game for them to have that.

We will pressure Miller often to try and force TOs and to get him out of any rythym in order to take away the passing game and make them one-dimensional. Then we'll be even! LOL

I see Drew possibly taking a bunch of sacks, 4-7. But I also realize that we don't really need a nice steady passing game either in this matchup. If the Bears stack the line, then they'll be totally outmatched everywhere on 1-on-1s. Moulds, Price, Reed, JR... Drew can take his pick and if he can just get the ball off quickly to avoid the sack, we'll see some BIG plays! Look for a HUGE YPA in this game by us.

I don't think Henry will run well although I hope he does. I have a hunch we'll see a little of Bryson or even Burns at times. In any event, the Bear DL, which is good as BEAR points out, will definitely try to address our passing game by blitzing and otherwise trying to pressure Drew. Our young OL will have their hands full. The good news is that we'll rarely have to send out more than 3 WRs so we'll be able to keep a blocking back in there to cover the blitz or the guy that gets thru.

For Buffalo, Big plays and scoring. For the Bears, I see Clements getting the best of Booker while the one thing that we do do effectively is disrupt Miller's rythym and render the Bear passing game ineffective.

If the Bills are up by 10 or more at the half, it's over. The Bears will have to throw in the second half.

Herdwatcher
09-28-2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by BIG_BAD_BEAR
I don't see the Bills being able to do either this week.

Henry's numbers have fallen off every week so far.

ATrain's numbers have gotten better every week so far, and now that he has his FB Shelton back this week, it could be a long game for the Bills D.

I don't care who the QB and WRs are, even though the Bills might have the best tandem in the league, a one-dimensional offense isn't going to beat the Bears.

How do the Bills plan on stopping ATrain , and how do they expect to get Henry going on offense?

How can you say that man?! Henry's #'s have not gone down every week 149 yards week 1/// 30 week 2///. and 34 in week 3
no way have the #'s dropped every week. Just look! lol

It's going to be a tough game all the way around. Last time the Bears were in town they took a beating 20 to 3 I believe. but, the Bills' players said it was the hardest hitting game they had been in. I think a couple Bills players came away with injuries.
Now back to tomorrow's game. Bills win.
plain and simple.
LET'S GO BUFFALO!!

BTW.. Welcome B_ B_ B

4thAndLong
09-28-2002, 11:57 AM
Yeah, but the Brocnos D also shut down Faulk, Hearst, Barlow...Vikings D shut down A-Train also...So...

BIG_BAD_BEAR
09-28-2002, 03:43 PM
This should be an interesting game.

As far as our secondary is concerned, We are without only one starter, CB RW McQuarters . He iis our best CB. However, Jerry Azumah is getting real good . Azumah starts along side McQuarters. Austin will start for McQuarters this week. Austin has two picks already this season, and has made some bad plays also. However, he is extremely quick.

Our #3 safety Mel Gray is out for the season. We just drafted him and he came out and started smashing people in preseason. Larry Whigam is now our #3 safety. Whigam hits hard.

So, our secondary isn't really that banged up. We are just missing our best CB.

Expect McMillon and Williams to see time at Cornerback and Nickelback this week.

4thAndLong
09-28-2002, 05:01 PM
You're underestimating us....

You dont know what our receivers are capable of, and even with tight coverage, Bledsoe can make those throws. Azumah is getting real good..."getting" means hes not yet...We will expose your secondary, you wont shut down Moulds, Price, Reed, Riemersma, Centers, or even Henry out of the backfield.

Look for alot of quick passes to receivers. We seem to be doing alot of them, mostly to Price, but Moulds has got some

BIG_BAD_BEAR
09-28-2002, 05:47 PM
All I'm worried about is the Bills pass offense.

Listen up 4th and inches!

Urlacher is coming for you!

Cntrygal
09-28-2002, 05:51 PM
I really don't want Urlacher hitting Drew.... can't you "forget" him at the airport or something Bear?

SABURZFAN
09-28-2002, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by BIG_BAD_BEAR
All I'm worried about is the Bills pass offense.

Listen up 4th and inches!

Urlacher is coming for you!

hey 3B,have you noticed that t.davis retired and k.warner struggled since doing Chunky soup commercials?didn't i see urlacher doing one?you better trade him while you can.

:jk:

4thAndLong
09-28-2002, 06:14 PM
Urlacher will be in coverage...On Riemersma, I hope. He's the only thing that concerns me on your D.

Listen up Bear_boy!

4thAndLong is coming for you!

colin
09-28-2002, 09:47 PM
The Ralph has a very fast turf, the Bears are mudders. The speed at the WR and CB position for the Bills will make enough difference for us to win.

Creemoredrinker
09-28-2002, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by colin
The Ralph has a very fast turf, the Bears are mudders. The speed at the WR and CB position for the Bills will make enough difference for us to win.

TigerJ
09-28-2002, 10:30 PM
I've made predictions for the results of the game elsewhere, but here's my stone cold lock. It will not rain tomorrow. The skies will be fair with light wind. Temps in the mid 60s. Should be a perfect day for an air show, the Drew Bledsoe air show that is.

Creemoredrinker
09-28-2002, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
I've made predictions for the results of the game elsewhere, but here's my stone cold lock. It will not rain tomorrow. The skies will be fair with light wind. Temps in the mid 60s. Should be a perfect day for an air show, the Drew Bledsoe air show that is.

BIG_BAD_BEAR
09-29-2002, 06:34 AM
Someone said the Bears are mudders. I've never heard that term before. It must be Canadian.

Actually, the Bears D is better on turf. You are acting like we have a slow D, when I think we have the fastest D in the league. We just have an enormous D line. Our LBs and DBs are extremely quick.

4th and inches, Urlacher isn't typically used in man coverage on the TE, we like to use Holdman so BLacher is still free to roam and destroy. If worst comes to worst, we will put BLacher on the TE.

CntryGal, I need a country gal. I think it's time for you to leave the Darkside(Bills) and join the Force(Bears). Maybe me and you could ......

4thAndLong
09-29-2002, 08:29 AM
:lol:

I thought when you're a Bear fan the darkside is the Packers...