PDA

View Full Version : NFL package might be just the ticket for digital cable

Cntrygal
09-28-2002, 10:11 AM
The Buffalo Bills' home season so far has been an advertisement for the NFL Sunday Ticket.
With the Bills game with Chicago on Fox's Channel 29 at 1 p.m. Sunday, only two games are carried locally because NFL rules prevent Channel 4 from carrying the first game of CBS' doubleheader opposite the Bills game.

In Week One, Channel 29 couldn't carry the 1 p.m. Fox game of its doubleheader because the Bills were at home against the Jets on Channel 4, the local CBS affiliate.

When the Bills play Oakland at 1 p.m. Oct. 6 on Channel 4, it happens again. It is a Fox doubleheader weekend, but Channel 29 can only carry the 4 p.m. game.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20020928/14019303.asp

JefftheBillsfan
09-28-2002, 10:13 AM
all i know is that the bears game isn't going to be on TV here...we get the highly anticipated giants/cards game instead.

Cntrygal
09-28-2002, 10:23 AM
I should be televised here...... but I'm not taking a chance. I'm going to the sports bar.

Creemoredrinker
09-28-2002, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Cntrygal
The Buffalo Bills' home season so far has been an advertisement for the NFL Sunday Ticket.
With the Bills game with Chicago on Fox's Channel 29 at 1 p.m. Sunday, only two games are carried locally because NFL rules prevent Channel 4 from carrying the first game of CBS' doubleheader opposite the Bills game.

In Week One, Channel 29 couldn't carry the 1 p.m. Fox game of its doubleheader because the Bills were at home against the Jets on Channel 4, the local CBS affiliate.

When the Bills play Oakland at 1 p.m. Oct. 6 on Channel 4, it happens again. It is a Fox doubleheader weekend, but Channel 29 can only carry the 4 p.m. game.

I mean, I really would like to fly you out to a game. South Dakota to Regina to Winnipeg to Minnepolis to Detroit to Buffalo. Can you take a week's vacation before and after the game?

WG
09-28-2002, 10:37 AM
Ditto here Jeff. We've got two spectacular games in Dallas/St. Louis and Houston Philly. Boy, that Houston Philly game outta be real entertaining. 6:03 into regulation, Houston down by 24, "...and now we're gonna take you live to the Saints/Lions game..."

The TV schedulers and local affiliate sports people must have a nice supply of crack or something that they make these decisions on...

:rolleyes:

Dozerdog
09-28-2002, 11:13 AM
Ity will never happen. Here is an old Vidiot Column I did way back on another site.

The Vidiot

The Zone's Guide to TV & Media
By Bill Choinski - AKA “Dozerdog”
Volume # 8 4/16/02

Why The NFL Wants To Keep Sunday Ticket Off Cable TV

Unlike the NHL, NBA, and Major League Baseball, The NFL and it’s broadcast partners will fight long and hard to keep the NFL Sunday Ticket as a satellite only service. Currently, the NFL collects $150 million per season in rights fees from Direct TV. But if you think about it, the NFL could easily double and even triple that income by moving it to a Pay Per View system. For once, the NFL is not grabbing the richest offer available.

Hockey, baseball, and basketball load up on games every day like I load up on beer and baloney sandwiches. At least 5-6 0n an average day,10 on the weekends. The NFL is more event oriented, with almost all of their games on Sunday. Owners also know that if a game played in all elements can be watched from the comfort of a La-Z-Boy, there will be thousands of empty seats at the stadium. With only 8 home games in a season, they can’t afford that.

Then there is the local TV station’s angle. Take Buffalo CBS affiliate WIVB Ch 4. Llike other stations carrying the home town team, the game telecasts are the highest rated shows for the week.. And the local stations can make up to $10,000 per commercial (each affiliate is allotted in the neighborhood of 6 ad spots per game). Money that will be reduced if the fat slob on the couch flips down the dial to catch a pay per view game. That is why the current $18 billion network TV contract has explicit language limiting the Sunday Ticket to satellite only.

Direct TV does not want to lose the contract after it expires at the end of this season either. That $150 million bought them the exclusive right to show it. It is the main reason they have been able to squash the competition. Primestar satellite systems went the way of the XFL, and was eventually absorbed by Direct TV. Echostar (Dish Network) has also felt the heat, ant the two will attempt to merge (pending government approval) later this year.

So, if you are a displaced Bills fan, the best bet is still the dish. Many dish dealers are going the way of the cell phone. They will practically give you the equipment for free in exchange for a guaranteed 1year commitment. The NFL ticket will cost you $179 if you sign up early. Cheaper than visiting a sports bar each week and you don’t have to put up with a drunk sports know it all on the stool next to you.

I would like to answer any questions folks might have. You can post a question to the Vidiot on my thread in the Asylum forum or send me your questions to Dozerdoggy@aol.com. I’ll try to answer all correspondences. Thanks!!