PDA

View Full Version : What games has he been watching?

The_Philster
10-18-2003, 06:45 AM
(October 18, 2003) — ORCHARD PARK — Coach Gregg Williams was willing to give an inch, but not a mile.

Yes, his Buffalo Bills were lousy in nearly every way a football team can be lousy in Sunday’s 30-3 loss to the New York Jets.

But no, his players were not listless. No, they didn’t quit on him. After all, to an NFL coach, thems is fightin’ words.

“As professionals, I don’t think that any of these guys have quit,” Williams said. “I don’t think as professionals, any of these guys have a lack of enthusiasm. We’ve just not executed some of the given opportunities that we’ve had. You take a look at the last series of that ballgame, as they’re trying to run the clock out, and it’s a fistfight in a phone booth on every play.”...
more (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/sports/bills/1018EJ243AR_bills18_bills.shtml)

The_Philster
10-18-2003, 06:47 AM
Anything to deflect criticism, I guess. :rolleyes: Who does he think he's fooling? Enough of us have actually been to the games and seen the lack of emotion out of the players.

Doc
10-18-2003, 08:13 AM
You want him to say the players suck AND are quitters? Not a way to motivate your team, Philster.

Brian Griese Rulz
10-18-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster

"As professionals, I don’t think that any of these guys have quit,” Williams said.

Once he said this, it means they have quit.

Just like when someone says "Its not about the money", its about the money.

The_Philster
10-18-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Doc
You want him to say the players suck AND are quitters? Not a way to motivate your team, Philster.

I want him to be honest to the media....he hasn't motivated them in over a month anyway.

Halbert
10-18-2003, 10:28 AM
The reason I'm finally considering jumping off the GW bandwagon is because they have gotten worse every week for the last four.

They actually started out great against Miami and even after blowing several golden opportunities they were in that game all the way to the end. The Philly game was like a mirror image of the Miami game but against a less talented team and they should have won that game. Cincy is an even worse team and although they won they looked almost exactly the same as the previous two. And then they hit rock bottom with the worst game I have seen from an allegedly talented Bills team ever.

If there isn’t something fundamentally wrong with the Bills then they should bounce back strong against a questionable Redskins team. If they don’t then the pattern is firmly established and we have our answer. If I were Ralph I’d be strongly tempted to can GW on Monday if they lose badly again.

btw - if they do lose the likelihood of making the playoffs becomes extremely low. Even if you assume wins against Houston and the Jets, the Bills would have to beat 5 of these 7 teams: @KC, @Dal, Indy, @NYG, @Tenn, Miami, @NE. Ain’t gonna happen.

BillsFever
10-18-2003, 07:12 PM
"Our team is full of heartless worthless quitters"

I guess that's what he shoud've used? Unless it's Jim Mora no coach is gonna rip his players apart in the media. No need to air dirty laundry.

Doc
10-18-2003, 07:46 PM
No one wants to hear excuses, but I'll let 'em fly right now. In the Miami game, Henry's loss early in the 2nd quarter, combined with Morris already being out, took the wind out of the Bills' sails on offense. They were still in that game until the middle of the 4th quarter, but the offense became one-dimensional and the Dols teed-off on it, shut it down, and put too much pressure on the defense. In the Philly game, they were without Henry and Morris and again were one-dimensional, the Iggles had 2 weeks to prepare for them, and they played flat, but were still in it and got royally screwed by the refs (as admitted by the NFL in a "Dear John" letter). Sometimes you don't blowout teams you think you should and win squeakers, like they should have done there, and like the DID against the Bungles. And finally last weekend, the Jets also had 2 weeks to prepare for the Bills, and the Bills were without Moulds, Adams, Edwards, and Morris, and Henry was still gimpy. That's a little much to overcome for any team, much less the Bills who don't seem to have the depth OR coaching to overcome injuries.

The problem currently is that most of those guys are STILL injured and probably not going to play tomorrow, so the Bills are potentially looking at 3-5 before the bye (I'm expecting KC to win in any case). I hope they can pull-off a win against the Skins (and KC), but I'm not liking their chances. I hope I'm wrong as hell on that one, since 4-4 at the bye would be fine by me.

The_Philster
10-19-2003, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by BillsFever
"Our team is full of heartless worthless quitters"

I guess that's what he shoud've used? Unless it's Jim Mora no coach is gonna rip his players apart in the media. No need to air dirty laundry.
Maybe he should just have kept his big mouth shut...or taken some blame for the lack of emotion on his team....but we know that will never happen.