X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedEyE
    • Jul 2002

OUCH!! Patriots cut Larry Centers.

Patriots.com is reporting that Larry Centers has been cut from the team. No other information has been given.
  • RedEyE
    • Jul 2002

Comment

• Dozerdog
      In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

Pats send Centers packing
      Foxboro, MA (Sports Network) - The New England Patriots have released veteran fullback Larry Centers.

The 35-year-old Centers, who had been bothered by a right knee injury, signed with the Patriots as a free agent during the offseason.

In six games for New England this season, Centers caught 17 passes for 96 yards and a touchdown. He had also rushed 15 times for 69 yards.

Centers has tallied 825 receptions for 6,787 yards and 28 touchdowns over his 14-year career.

A three-time Pro Bowl selection, Centers has also carried the ball 609 times for 2,175 yards and 14 touchdowns over 14 seasons with Arizona, Washington, Buffalo and New England. He set an NFL single-season record for receptions by a running back with 101 catches for the Cardinals in 1995.

My guess is with the recent emergence of Mike Cloud ( local BC hero) at RB, and with Faulk their receiving threat out of the backfield, they decided they don't need his services.

I wonder if anyone came off their PUP list (similar to McGahee)and is ready to come back making this a necissary evil for a roster spot?

Comment

• Doc
        • Dec 2002

Tully Banta-Cain did. They also put RT Adrian "Mr. Glass" Klemm on IR, ending his season, his career in NE, and possibly his NFL career.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
          • Jul 2003

Centers was cut so they could get an actual body to play the game. The Pats have been so hard-hit by injuries, that they hav been having trouble getting an active 45 to play. The injuries have caused the roster to thin out, which has trickled down to ST. They needed to activate Banta-Cain and Mayer to help out on ST.

Centers has a knee injury that will keep him out of action a few weeks. The Pats released him, but if he clears waivers they may bring him back when he is healthy. If they IR'ed him, that would not have been an option.

They did this same thing with FB Fred McCrary earlier in the season.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
            • Jul 2003

Klemm, has battled injuries, but that doesn't mean his career is over. It just means they needed his roster spot. They were stuck because of all the injuries they had, but didn't want to release him and chance losing him.

Klemm hasn't developed because he has been hurt so much, but he has some experience and is versatile enough to play every OL position other than C. However, he is under contract another season for relatively short money, so he will get a chance to compete in camp next year and may be back again. If they were done with him, they likely would have just released him now.

Comment

• TigerJ
              • Jul 2002

I think if a team puts a player on IR they can bring him back by reaching an injury settlement, releasing him from IR and then re-signing him.
              I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                • Jul 2003

The Patriots re-signed Centers today. This was the first week he was eligible to return to them due to the injury settlement that was agreed to.

It turns out the only reason they released him was because they didn't want him taking a roster spot up while his knee healed. Now that he is healthy, they are bringing him back for the final few games and playoffs.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                  Buffalo Bills Fan
                  • Sep 2003

Originally posted by NE39
                  The Patriots re-signed Centers today. This was the first week he was eligible to return to them due to the injury settlement that was agreed to.

It turns out the only reason they released him was because they didn't want him taking a roster spot up while his knee healed. Now that he is healthy, they are bringing him back for the final few games and playoffs.
                  Good move. BTW, nice job peeling the rind off that fair weather team this past sunday
                  Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• mybills
                    81 st zoner
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by NE39
                    they are bringing him back for the final few games and playoffs.
                    playoffs, maybe, but don't count your chickens before they hatch. NE has been playing on pure luck with a weak and injured team. Eventually, their luck WILL run out.

btw, nice BORING game against Miami!
                    I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• BuffaloBillsSTAMPEDE
                      Hall of Fame Zoner
                      • Sep 2003

that game had awful field conditions... didn't expect it to be pretty did u

Comment

Working...
                      X