PDA

View Full Version : What does everyone think about the home/away jersey colour reversal this year ?

Ð
10-19-2003, 08:15 PM
I don't like it, personally. Why mess with tradition ?

Myers57
10-19-2003, 08:18 PM
It makes it easier for teams to wear their third jerseys at home and not carry two different jerseys on road trips to make room for other teams that want to wear their alternates at home.

Also, fans usually buy teams dark colored jerseys so why not have the most popular jerseys be worn at home in front of the fans?

I think it is a good and smart move by the NHL...

Dozerdog
10-19-2003, 08:28 PM
Depends on Tradition- weren't they like this in the original 6 days?

Ð
10-19-2003, 08:33 PM
True, my tradition started @ 1970, when I started following hockey, though. But I'm watching the Bruins play Anaheim in Cali & something seems disturbingly wrong with the white jerseys on the road.

Ebenezer
10-19-2003, 08:42 PM
It is a neat switch...as long as it is not permanent...what I don't like is the camera angels in some of the buildings...that was just plain bad last night.

Dozerdog
10-19-2003, 09:47 PM
They just have to outlaw black (Bruins and Pens are the exception) - everybody has black these days. Every frikkin channel flip- White Jerseys vs Black Jerseys.

Takes you a couple of seconds to figure who's playing and where

Ebenezer
10-19-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
They just have to outlaw black (Bruins and Pens are the exception) - everybody has black these days. Every frikkin channel flip- White Jerseys vs Black Jerseys.

Takes you a couple of seconds to figure who's playing and where

I said the same thing to Mrs. Eb during the game...I told her to disregard the adverts on the boards and try to tell the difference between the game and B&W TV.

pyrrhonist
10-20-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Ð
I don't like it, personally. Why mess with tradition ?

That's what the NHL was thinking---In the original days, they used dark jerseys at home, so they changed back. Of course, the real reason for changing back is to sell more 3rd jerseys. :rocket:

Ð
10-20-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer

I said the same thing to Mrs. Eb during the game...I told her to disregard the adverts on the boards and try to tell the difference between the game and B&W TV.

Isn't it spooky watching the old games on ESPN classic (i.e. the Oilers Stanley Cup runs in the 80's or the Habs in the 70's) & there are abosolutely no ads on the boards ?

Myers57
10-20-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Ð
Isn't it spooky watching the old games on ESPN classic (i.e. the Oilers Stanley Cup runs in the 80's or the Habs in the 70's) & there are abosolutely no ads on the boards ?

Yea and how the jumbotrons did not have video, and how the on-screen tv scoreboard only came up once in a while.

pyrrhonist
10-20-2003, 10:06 AM
Rather than spooky, I'd say it is refreshing to not have to see all the damn ads.

Ð
10-20-2003, 10:14 AM
Yep, I remember when this scoreboard was the cat's ass in technology :eek:

http://www.canoe.com/HockeyTorontoImages/mlg_6.jpg

BironsGirl43
10-20-2003, 10:36 AM
I like the white home jerseys at home not the black..

This whole thing takes some getting used to..

But, I'm sure it'll be okay as the season goes on

Turf
10-20-2003, 01:54 PM
Bad dumb stupid idea FORCING the home teams to wear their dark jerseys, when for years, most have worn the light jerseys. Here is a league trying to bring in fans, they make a foolish decision. Myabe I'm wrong, but at least half the teams have black what used to be road jerseys. Now all those home team fans have to watch their team skate around in black.
In fact half the games are black vs white. Add in poor quality resolution cameras, poor camera work, very little zoom and far away from the play, I mean geez, I wonder why hockey doesn't sell on TV. Might as well get a B&W TV and watch the games.
If the fans want to see the light jerseys, they should be able to. The only upside to this decision is to try and force the clubs to get away from the all black look and putting some color back in the uniforms.

Let me add WOW, I just realized what I said has already been said. On the plus side, at least we see things the same way :shake:

Ð
10-20-2003, 03:03 PM
I noticed since I got NHL Centre Ice that a lot of the ESPN feeds are in really poor resolutions, compared to how CBC broadcasts games here in Canada. You can barely make out any detail.

Earthquake Enyart
10-20-2003, 03:42 PM
The US feeds are always worse. Especially NYI and Phoenix (the Phoenix announcer is awful).

Face it. It's all a ploy to sell the god awful third jerseys.

Ð
10-20-2003, 03:44 PM
OK, so it's not just me. I felt like I was watching the game on AM radio.

lordofgun
10-20-2003, 03:45 PM
I don't care about it.

pyrrhonist
10-20-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Ð
compared to how CBC broadcasts games here in Canada.

CBC has vastly superior broadcast quality, compared to ESPNot's. The announcing, the quality of the feed, all are better.

The worst broadcast to watch, though, is Colorado's. Those guys are super homers. Just like the site for the "Divealanche" says, you'd think that hockey was born in 1995, when the Nordiques moved to Denver.