PDA

View Full Version : What was Greg Williams thinking....

elltrain22
10-19-2003, 09:32 PM
I know we won, and i know our offense and defense both played pretty good, but seriously, what in the hell was Greg Williams thinking about on 1st and 20, ( 10-0 bills, 2nd qt.) he called a qb sneak play for drew, who fumbled and turned the ball over on a very crucial series. Does Greg like to smoke crack during the game or is he just plain brain dead sometimes.

Also, i was a little concearned w/ all the holding penalites. If we do that against KC we will get blown out!!

Now that i have done my critisims, what a great Bills performance. Arguably one of our best performances this season. We moved the ball, eat up time of possession, ran the ball with success, pass effectively ( 100 yds for josh reed; finally ), and our defense was absolutely solid. It was so great to finally see a 100 yard game for Henry and for Josh Reed. My game ball was of course, Travis Henry, who looked not like the old Travis, but a speedy, knock-down, dirty Travis Henry. My other game ball went to Josh Reed, who finally broke out of his terrible slump, and did it against a very fine cornerback in Champ Bailey. But the play of the game for me was seeing MFing' Rob Johnson get pounded to the turf by the whole bills d-line. That was great, and i would love to get a pic of that and post it on my bills wall of fame. And it was also great to see D. Talley honored at halftime, b/c he was always one of my fav' Bills players of all time.

Hope this boosts the teams confidence enought to shock KC. If so, i believe there is alot of optimism for this team.

I am out....

venis2k1
10-19-2003, 09:36 PM
1. Gilbride calls the plays, not GW.

2.With the exception of that play, KG called a great game, Actully utilizing Antonio Brown's speed on a reverse was great. Also Several run plays on long yardage situations cought me(and the Skins) off gaurd.

The Spaz
10-19-2003, 09:42 PM
Well it may have been a bad call that time but the 1st time he called it we got 5-6 yards. We just fumbled. Overall good game plan!:)

Dozerdog
10-19-2003, 09:44 PM
If it was the difference between a sack or a hold, I'd instruct my guys to hold every time.

At least with a hold, you get the down back.

Billzz
10-19-2003, 09:47 PM
And keep the QB from getting buried.

fushetti
10-19-2003, 09:48 PM
I was wondering about the qb sneak call on 1st and 20....but then i thought maybe he just lost the fumble and it looked like a qb draw... Either way, the play sucked. Why have any designed runs for drew except in short distances? Hey, we won the freakin game...and if this is all we can complain about, i'm happy. Thank God we ran the ball.

Lets go Bills.

TigerJ
10-19-2003, 10:04 PM
I agree the QB sneak on a first and twenty was dumb, dumb, dumb. And yes, it was Gilbride's call. Had it worked like the other time Buffalo called it, it still would have left Buffalo with a 2nd and 14 or 15. The other time Buffalo used it was on a third and short. That was the right situation for it, not a first and 20. There were a bunch of other calls that would have been more appropriate without being too obvious: a screen pass, a draw play, a quick out are just a few examples of plays that can work on a first and long and have more potential to get yet you a bigger chunk of the yards you need for a first down. However, the Bills won and overall played pretty solid football. Other than that one play Gilbride called a pretty smart game too. To tell the truth I was and am a lot more concerned by the slew of offensive holding and other major penalties on the offensive line.

mchurchfie
10-19-2003, 11:12 PM
I wholeheartedly agree with you Tiger and elltrain. Just when I start getting a little confidence in the coaching staff they call a boneheaded play like that. Why in the world would you send your starting QB up the middle on a run and risk injury when the game is in hand??? Especially on 1st and 20...Bledsoe is the slowest person out there...other than Jim Kelly standing on the sidelines, its not like he is going to gain any substantial yardage. That was a very mindboggling, disturbing, and VERY DUMB call to say the least. I am happy that the Bills won and I am not trying to take away from the luster of their victory against an average football team... they did alot of things right today, but it is calls like that which will come back to haunt us in tighter games and convinces me that some of the coaches on that staff don't have a clue. Could you see the look on the "Big Tuna's" face if his OC ran his starting QB up the gut on 1st and 20??:shakeno:

LABillsFan
10-20-2003, 01:09 AM
How can you be sure it was KG who called that play. I think Drew saw the LB's scattered out wide and opted to sneak it himself.

The_Philster
10-20-2003, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by LABillsFan
How can you be sure it was KG who called that play. I think Drew saw the LB's scattered out wide and opted to sneak it himself.

Well, it certainly wasn't Williams.

Typ0
10-20-2003, 05:49 AM
I highly doubt that play was sent in from the coaches. Drew probably called it at the line.

TheGhostofJimKelly
10-20-2003, 07:48 AM
I have to say that I have come to the conclusion that there a lot of Bills fans out there that just don't know what they are talking about. Case in point and the game. Lindell kicks off and it goes out of bounds. There were three guys in front of us that start yelling that the coaching sucks and they have to go. A bit later Brian Morman gets off a great kick (like he was doing all day) and the Bills tackle Morton for one of his short gains. I tap one of the guys on the shoulder and say, "wow, that was some great coaching, huh?" The answer, No way, what a great kick by Morman. So I say if it is a good play it is the player and if it is a bad play coaching? Answer, You got it.

Ingtar33
10-20-2003, 11:14 AM
That type of play is nearly NEVER called by the OC.

What happens is Drew lines up at the line and looks over the center, both the DTs were wide, and there were no LBs backing them up. What he then does is a silent audible, basically taps Teague on the ass. Teague then changes the line call, and Drew takes it himself.

Not a bad call really, you know the Skins were playing the pass, we had a spread formation and the skins were bringing too many to block. You gain a few yards (never expect to make more than 2 or 3), on what would normally be a broken play. The problem was we turned it over. Good audible, bad fumble.

nolimit
10-20-2003, 02:00 PM
It was an audible called by Drew! He saw nothing but empty real estate pass the d-line! The only problme was that the two DT's closed the gap real quick!

This WAS NOT A COACHING CALL! if ypu wan to blame anyone , blame Drew! But I still donmt blamew him for that attempt!

HenryRules
10-20-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by nolimit
It was an audible called by Drew! He saw nothing but empty real estate pass the d-line! The only problme was that the two DT's closed the gap real quick!

This WAS NOT A COACHING CALL! if ypu wan to blame anyone , blame Drew! But I still donmt blamew him for that attempt!

I agree, although I do blame Drew for the fumble ... I don't think that anyone touched him, I think he just squeezed it too hard.

Stewie
10-20-2003, 02:09 PM
I actually liked that call. Did you watch the replay? If Drew somehow managed to slip in the crease between Ruben and Jonas, there was about 30 yards of open space in front of him. Granted, with Drew running that doesn't guarantee more than 5 yards but..

Overall, I think Gilbride did a great job keeping the defense off balance. Hindsight is 20/20. If Drew held on to the ball and gained 10 yards everyone here would say it was a great call.

mchurchfie
10-20-2003, 03:00 PM
Yeah, but if Drew would have got injured and knocked out for the season everyone would have been b!tching and questioning the call. It was dumb on Drew's part, the game was under control and a punt wouldn't have been a bad thing if we didn't make a first down. It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt.:shakeno::D:church:

Ð
10-20-2003, 03:05 PM
The words "slip in the crease" do not belong in a football conversation :eek:

mchurchfie
10-20-2003, 03:56 PM
:lol: