X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedEyE
    • Jul 2002

Building Confidence

Isn't nice to see an opposing team that's having more issues than the Bills. This was a well needed and a well deserved win. I only have a few things to get off my chest...........

1) Most of us have said it for all year, and I would like to reiterate, that Henry is the nucleus of this team - not Bledsoe! The OL did exceptionally well against the Skins D, opening holes when needed, but give it up for Henry. He looked more viberant and aware today then I have ever seen him. Cutting back across field when holes were clogged - since when? Nice to see - keep it coming.

2) Gilbride? *Ahem*.......that draw play to Henry on an all out Skins blitz, on 3rd and long, was uncharchteristically genius of you. Screen plays, rather than 40 yard bombs to Campbell were certainly rewarded. Running the ball 35 times in one game ??? A play action pass in the RED ZONE?? I don't get it? Who slipped the smart pill into Gilbride's coffee this morning? I'll actually let the QB draw play slide on 1st and 20. After reviewing the Skins D in that play, if Drew hits the hole properly, he gains an easy 6 to 8 yards. Drew hit the hole more like a QB sneeking a first down rather then a runner gaining ground.

3) Antonio Brown........please alleviate this guy of his return duties. I'm tired of seeing this guy run 45 yards to gain only 2 or 3. I'd like to see McGahee back there when the time comes.

4) Bledsoe......other then the similar play clock issues that we have seen in past weeks, and a few more wasted timeouts, he played a rather well game. The fumble was a crock but the INT is expected to make a weekly appearance. I like Drew in his more subserveant role. Can Gilbride stay on track here?

5) Reed......Although I don't understand the right eye under marking, he showed himself today what it means to catch the ball. What an outstanding catch he made over Bailey's back in the 1st Qrtr. He even caught the wide open pass in the endzone this time. I had to keep looking at his jersey to make sure it read 82. I didn't see Andre Reed on the field for Talley's celebration, so I though that there could have been a chance that he suited up in place of Josh today. I later learned Andre Reed was doing commentary for the Falcons Saints game.

6) Gregg Williams...... One win against a struggling Skins team does not win me over. In fact, Gregg did something on the field today that sealed the deal for me. He will not return next season. The official had just called holding on WR # 88 Neufield. The cameras instantly panned to Williams to retrieve his reaction. Williams then screamed onto the field at the official (the camera caught all of this) "88? We don't even have an 88!". One word sums this up - ******.

7) Takeo Spikes.....apparently stood up in a players meeting this week and made some amazing comments. While the players aren't revelaing what exactly those comments were, it's nice to see a team leader taking responsibilty and pushing the team forward.

8) Rob Johnson.........thanks for the laughs.

9) Bruce Smith.........he may have lost a step, but he still has the juice. Bruce was giving the line fits all day. Infact, he came within a foot of that sack record around a 1/2 dozen times.

10) Thanks to the Pats the Bills are once again back in the AFCE race. 4-3 looks much nicer then 3-4.

Improvement in fluidity and minimizing stupid mental errors is still needed. KC will be a much tougher foe next week.
    Last edited by RedEyE; 10-20-2003, 08:53 AM.
  • Cntrygal
    Visually stunning but camera-shy.
    • Jul 2002

Nice post Red! I guess there is advantages of having to go to work right after the game. You guys all put in print, what I am saying at work all day! Thanks for saving me some typing.

When A. Brown stops going sideline to sideline, he actually makes progess. I wonder when someone will remind him of that.
    Originally posted by notacon
    The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• RedEyE
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Cntrygal

When A. Brown stops going sideline to sideline, he actually makes progess. I wonder when someone will remind him of that.
      Thanks!

Side to side is better then backwards, How many times is this guy going to try to avoid the kicking rush by running backwards?

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

I hve to say though, the bills special teams aren't blocking for Brown though. He doesn't have the ability to makes players miss unlike what I saw from Mcgee. For brown to make it to the endzone, he needs poeple to block in front of him. He's a sprinter w/ barely any side step.
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• RedEyE
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
          I hve to say though, the bills special teams aren't blocking for Brown though. He doesn't have the ability to makes players miss unlike what I saw from Mcgee. For brown to make it to the endzone, he needs poeple to block in front of him. He's a sprinter w/ barely any side step.
          I can agree with that. If it continues it's going to cause Brown to fumble. When he does have the space to run he burns up field for nice gains. I like his speed, but I'd like to see somebody in there that makes better "in movement " decisions, and has the ability to stay on his feet after taking the first hit. He's an upgrade from last year, but a far cry from what the Bills truly need.

Comment

• Alluro
            You Don't Stand a Chance !
            • Jul 2002

Bruce Smith should have signed with us for one last hurrah and then retired as the all-time leading sacker at the end of the season...in the right uniform!

Comment

• RedEyE
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Alluro
              Bruce Smith should have signed with us for one last hurrah and then retired as the all-time leading sacker at the end of the season...in the right uniform!
              Many of us would have enjoyed seeing Bruce back for his last hoorah. I think many of us had our doubts about him beofre the season began. I know I didn't want TD shelling out the money for a 19 year, 2 down DE. Ihaven't watched a single Skins game all season so I really don't know if he's been playing with the same intensity that he played with yesterday. Part of me wants to say he turned it up a notch for yesterday's emotional homecoming. The other half of me thinks he would have been a nice addition opposite Schobel (who reminds me a hell of a lot like Phil Hanson).

I do know one thing though, Bruce looked very lean. Leaner then his final years in B-lo. Just ask Jonas and Reuben.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                Buffalo Bills Fan
                • Sep 2003

Hey RedEye - didn't see the game. How much did Gash play?
                Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• RedEyE
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by stuckincincy
                  Hey RedEye - didn't see the game. How much did Gash play?
                  Good point! He played quite a lot. Henry and Gash were lining up in the I formation most of the day.

It's funny you ask that question. Fox posted a Gash stat last night: In his 10-11 years (can't remember exactly) as a starting FB, there has only been 2 years that the tailback behind him hasn't rushed for over 1,000 yds in a season.

Gash was a can opener yesterday.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                    • May 2003

2) Gilbride? *Ahem*.......that draw play to Henry on an all out Skins blitz, on 3rd and long, was uncharchteristically genius of you.

You know if Henry was tackled for a loss you would be yelling, WHAT ARE YOU RUNNING FOR!!!!

Comment

• BillsNick
                      • Jul 2003

I agree with most of this thread, but all you people are going to eat your words the first time AB reverses his field and takes one to the house. Think about Dante Hall, and the 100 yards he runs before he even gains anything. If he doesn't take 2 or 3 of those back, he's being cursed by fans just like AB. He's gonna break one, and he's gonna do it soon. I think against KC would be a terrific time to start!!

Comment

• don137
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BillsNick
                        I agree with most of this thread, but all you people are going to eat your words the first time AB reverses his field and takes one to the house. Think about Dante Hall, and the 100 yards he runs before he even gains anything. If he doesn't take 2 or 3 of those back, he's being cursed by fans just like AB. He's gonna break one, and he's gonna do it soon. I think against KC would be a terrific time to start!!
                        I'm sure he is going to break one but is one great run worth 50 below average runs?

Comment

• Moulds80
                          • Oct 2003

3) Antonio Brown........please alleviate this guy of his return duties. I'm tired of seeing this guy run 45 yards to gain only 2 or 3. I'd like to see McGahee back there when the time comes.
                          All I have heard about this kid is his amazing speed, and it shows on plays like that wingback reverse, but he can't return a punt if his life depended on it. Brown either falls on the ball, or he will run back and forth 6 times and lose a few yards. I wouldn't mind seeing Willis back there when the time comes...it would also help him get back into the flow of playing ball again.
                          I Billieve, always have and always will. Praying for the playoffs.

2004 World Sieres Champions; The Boston Red Sox.

Proud member of both Red Sox Nation and Buffalo Nation

Comment

• Billzz
                            • Sep 2003

You serious about Willis returning kicks? No offense but them seems like a plan for disaster.

Comment

• Moulds80
                              • Oct 2003

how so?
                              I Billieve, always have and always will. Praying for the playoffs.

2004 World Sieres Champions; The Boston Red Sox.

Proud member of both Red Sox Nation and Buffalo Nation

Comment

Working...
                              X